Squeee 2012-09-10

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Julie

Re: Squeee 2012-09-10

Post by Julie »

Jabberwonky wrote:Love the 'squee' face... :)
Me too...and I also love that she "squees"...because I've been known to do that when excited about something too. :P

I hope we get to see more of this floating world in the future!!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Bathorys Daughter wrote:If there are clouds and an atmosphere, it would seem the floating islands would be above a planetary body of some sort. And not all too high up either for the people to have breathable and reasonably warm air. It's not like they are on the fringes of space. Nor would the islands be in different dimensions or any such either. They are all in the same area in the same dimension, tethered together. Or maybe those are covered walkways. Maybe at one time all those chunks of land were on the surface of the planet, then broke free, lifting right out of the ground powered via a Vi-whatchamacallit cell or 3.
The Bibliothiki may have it's own pocket dimension or even universe that is pretty much floating islands with the library structures on it and breathable air surrounding everything. Since Monica used the qualifier "from Earth" when narrowing her search for the Viama Cell info, I assume the Bibliothiki serves reality. As in, all of it. We are probably only seeing a fraction of the total library.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

MerchManDan wrote:So, not only do we learn the Bibliothiki has an exterior (I honestly wasn't so sure, until Bia was sent there quite suddenly), but it resembles a cross between Cloud City and The Ways. Neat!

Phix: Don't worry, I've got you.
Nudge: You've got ME?? Who's got YOU?!?!?
(going old-school for that reference)
That was why I used the "Can you read my miiiiinnnnndddd" reference. :P ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

Thought on the "who can Poit" topic:

Consider the individuals we've seen POIT so far. Tepoz, the GGG, and Monica (think that is all, can't recall any other doing so). All have a similar connection (they've all died and been reanimated in some fashion). Other beings, like Kukuklan, Phix, and Euryale, we've seen appear rapidly and seemingly out of nowhere, but never actually POIT. Demons seem locked to their host, but capable of drifting toward others capable of interacting with them (Monica's Doubt, Jin's Doubt, Tina 1.0's demons, Creepy Little Girl). Then there's individuals like Nudge whom we "know" cannot POIT (so far as you can believe anything about Nudge), or Shelly and Tina who seem unable to POIT (granted, in Tina and Shelly's cases, personal limitations can be due to inexperience or ignorance, similar to how Monica could not POIT for a good while even after meeting Tepoz and the GGG).

It could be POITing itself has some connection to being reanimated or some other aspect Monica, Tepoz, and the GGG share.
Stigmartyr762

Post by Stigmartyr762 »

I love the "I'm going to kill you if you ever do something that stupid again" look on Phix' face. LOL!!
There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
eee

Post by eee »

Whoa, now that's a LIBRARY!

Nudge liked that. I bet she's going to want to do that again. Especially now that she's sure Phix will catch her before she goes splat...
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

sonicthunder wrote:Thought on the "who can Poit" topic:

Consider the individuals we've seen POIT so far. Tepoz, the GGG, and Monica (think that is all, can't recall any other doing so). All have a similar connection (they've all died and been reanimated in some fashion). Other beings, like Kukuklan, Phix, and Euryale, we've seen appear rapidly and seemingly out of nowhere, but never actually POIT. Demons seem locked to their host, but capable of drifting toward others capable of interacting with them (Monica's Doubt, Jin's Doubt, Tina 1.0's demons, Creepy Little Girl). Then there's individuals like Nudge whom we "know" cannot POIT (so far as you can believe anything about Nudge), or Shelly and Tina who seem unable to POIT (granted, in Tina and Shelly's cases, personal limitations can be due to inexperience or ignorance, similar to how Monica could not POIT for a good while even after meeting Tepoz and the GGG).

It could be POITing itself has some connection to being reanimated or some other aspect Monica, Tepoz, and the GGG share.
Monica was not reanimated, she was recussatated. While her heart stopped they got it going again before any damage set in. Monica's poit ability is because she is a portal. The demons were using it to travel freely and the portal is the poit device. How the reanimated beings poit is probalby a different, by related, mechanism. Shelly locked the portal so others could not use it but Monica still has access to it's powers.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

So, the Bibliothiki's location reminds me of Perihelion from the Robot City novels. The place that's closest to every other place.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

I posted nose art in the art section for Kaibyo. It's not Phix, but maybe eventually I or someone else will do Phix as such.

Yes, I heard the Mighty Mouse theme song for this one... and I love both Nudge's andPhix's faces in this one!!!
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

and now phix has that lookon her face if you sqee one more time i am going to drop you
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

kingklash wrote:So, the Bibliothiki's location reminds me of Perihelion from the Robot City novels. The place that's closest to every other place.
Or The Singularity Or Cynosure.

Or Tanelorn, come to think.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Phix's actions here remind me of Bob the Guardian, in Reboot: "What can I say, I can't go against my programming..."

I would also add that, whether she fully planned the whole thing or not, Nudge's fear looks quite genuine, in that second panel. She may have been mostly certain of the effect her words (the prodding, taunting and accusations) and actions (running to and jumping out the window) would have on Phix, but this was where the rubber meets the road, and she had no absolute certainty as to whether it worked or not, so her fear of it having not worked is real. She is not screaming her head off, so she's probably fairly confident that Phix will come (or at least, hoping real hard), but there is that minute chance that she will not, so the risk is quite real indeed, and she knows it.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Just thought of this, and wanted to type it in before going to work and finding out later someone beat me to it...

Nudge's expression in the second panel is a mix of "I hope I wasn't wrong about all this" and "PHIX', DON'T FAIL ME NOW!"

*drops a fully-loaded touring bicycle in the pun jar*
sonicthunder

Post by sonicthunder »

zachariah wrote:Monica was not reanimated, she was recussatated. While her heart stopped they got it going again before any damage set in. Monica's poit ability is because she is a portal. The demons were using it to travel freely and the portal is the poit device. How the reanimated beings poit is probalby a different, by related, mechanism. Shelly locked the portal so others could not use it but Monica still has access to it's powers.
Perhaps. Monica's commented a few times (usually when talking about Shelly or Tina) how they also died like her. The fact that she uses words like died rather than simply "my heart stopped" (the way Tepoz originally explained it) seems noteworthy, indicating it was more than a simple resuscitation.

Also the whole bit about demons. When Tina died, her demons re-manned the ship but lost all identity of Tina. When Monica's demons abandoned Monica 100%, she resembled Tina in her "sleeping" state, no will or life of her own. Shelly's separated her demons from herself long before activating her Sphinx side (Creepy Little Girl), and has never resembled the comatose state Monica and Tina have when demon-less, even in the flashbacks to that very night.

Just seems to me there's more to Monica's "death" than simply being unconscious for a few moments, and there has to be a reason that Monica's POIT ability mirrors the GGG and Tepoz's and didn't start to manifest until after she started sharing knowledge with the GGG and Tepoz.

The "Monica is still a portal" explanation makes sense, but it seems too big a coincidence that it mirrors the Golem-style POITing so closely.
BikerScum

Post by BikerScum »

Sphinxes got afterburners.

Who knew?

:D
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

sonicthunder wrote:
zachariah wrote:Monica was not reanimated, she was recussatated. While her heart stopped they got it going again before any damage set in. Monica's poit ability is because she is a portal. The demons were using it to travel freely and the portal is the poit device. How the reanimated beings poit is probalby a different, by related, mechanism. Shelly locked the portal so others could not use it but Monica still has access to it's powers.
Perhaps. Monica's commented a few times (usually when talking about Shelly or Tina) how they also died like her. The fact that she uses words like died rather than simply "my heart stopped" (the way Tepoz originally explained it) seems noteworthy, indicating it was more than a simple resuscitation.

Also the whole bit about demons. When Tina died, her demons re-manned the ship but lost all identity of Tina. When Monica's demons abandoned Monica 100%, she resembled Tina in her "sleeping" state, no will or life of her own. Shelly's separated her demons from herself long before activating her Sphinx side (Creepy Little Girl), and has never resembled the comatose state Monica and Tina have when demon-less, even in the flashbacks to that very night.

Just seems to me there's more to Monica's "death" than simply being unconscious for a few moments, and there has to be a reason that Monica's POIT ability mirrors the GGG and Tepoz's and didn't start to manifest until after she started sharing knowledge with the GGG and Tepoz.

The "Monica is still a portal" explanation makes sense, but it seems too big a coincidence that it mirrors the Golem-style POITing so closely.
There are many ways to do the same thing. Flying is based on aerodynamics and thrust, poiting is the same thing. A force used to accomplish something. How each of them does may, or may not, be related. Just because they look the same doesn't mean they are the same. While something more significant that a NDE may have happened to MOnica, she was not burned to ashes, mixed in clay, reifred, and reanimated my some quasi-mogical method. Just not enough information to support a conclusion, just speculation. lol.

My own thought is the golem's were made able to, Monica wasn't and needed Poity training. <clink>
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
rickklages

Post by rickklages »

The library exterior scenes remind me of a pocket universe a' la Philip Jose Farmer's world of tiers stories. Just substituting Nudge for Kickaha! The rapid decent panel is very dramatic, with Nudge aboard I don't wonder at the difficulty Phix must have had counteracting the dive or the work involved in climbing back to the library level.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Fairportfan wrote:
kingklash wrote:So, the Bibliothiki's location reminds me of Perihelion from the Robot City novels. The place that's closest to every other place.
Or The Singularity Or Cynosure.

Or Tanelorn, come to think.
I knew The Singularity and Tanelorn walks away singing a Meatloaf song...
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Huehueteotl

Post by Huehueteotl »

jwhouk wrote:If this is the realm of the sphinx, it probably wouldn't be surprising that it would be land masses in the air. The only question is, where in the air is it?
'Way up in the middle of the air, where Ezekiel saw the wheel.
"It's just this little chromium switch, here . . ."
Bathorys Daughter

Post by Bathorys Daughter »

BikerScum wrote:Sphinxes got afterburners.

Who knew?

:D
You could say that. After consuming another sphinx, she may be loaded with high energy fuel now. The subsequent gas generated overnight may very well be expelled at a high energy as well. Unlike Katherine's fish, Phix's "afterburner" appears to be silent. Better for a high speed stealth attack I suppose. 8-)
A society should not be judged on how it treats its outstanding citizens but by how it treats its criminals... ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky.