Basal-cell carcinoma and me. And my ear. And a divot.

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Sgt. Howard

Re: Basal-cell carcinoma and me. And my ear. And a divot.

Post by Sgt. Howard »

TazManiac wrote:But Honey, this bathtub full of Blueberries?; why it's Medicinal!

Here, I'll show you, come join me...

(here's to your continuation...)
If I continue with that, this section goes high "R" immediatly
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Well, I waaas alluding to his continued existence on the planet, here with the rest of us, but there's the fact that while even ripe Blueberries are indeed 'tart', it helps to take the sweet with the bitter.

That includes trips to the Doctor. And it includes Time Spent Affirming a Life Worth Living,
modestly and appreciative.

I recommend unscheduled foot-rubs...
Dave

Post by Dave »

The omens are auspicious.

After a three hour wait for the lab results, they came back "negative margins". The disc the surgeon had removed contained the entire cancer... the outer edges were clear. I awarded her the traditional accolade, "Nice shootin', Tex!" even though she's from Philadelphia.

They called me back into the surgery so the surgeon could do a "repair" to close the wound... a bit of further cutting and a few stitches. However, after she looked it over again, she said that it should heal up just as well without surgical repair, and the scar would be smaller and (if I care for it properly during healing) less visible. We talked over the options, I decided against stitches, they bandaged me up, and I drove home. All done, except for a follow-up in two weeks, and a visit with the dermatologist in six months. Very little discomfort so far... nothing that a couple of Tylenol can't handle.

There is always a chance that it might have metastasized before removal, of course, and that would be Bad, but from what I've read the odds of that are low for a cancer of this sort, in this location, at this stage. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the good thoughts, folks. All in all, I think I may have been extremely lucky this time... a lot of things seem to have gone well.

Now, where in the freezer does my wife keep those frozen blueberries?
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Good to hear that you're relatively in the clear. Clear borders, two words that never sounded so sweet, speaking from personal experience.

Now, you're not totally out of the woods. When the doc schedules you to come back to check up... do it. I had a relapse three years after my first bout. Early detection nipped it in the bud. Doc tells you to come in a month, you come in a month. He tells you to come in quarterly,, you schedule it in advance. Keep on top of it. Don't blow it off. Or I will personally fly my happy arse up there and kick you firmly in the rump. Clear?

Having said that... congratulations on the clear borders report.
Dave

Post by Dave »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Keep on top of it. Don't blow it off. Or I will personally fly my happy arse up there and kick you firmly in the rump. Clear?

Having said that... congratulations on the clear borders report.
Clear... and agreed, with thanks! :)
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Best news all week! I'ma keep sending some positive energies your way just because...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous