Bad weather

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Hansontoons

Re: Bad weather

Post by Hansontoons »

And after all the Texas talk, here's hoping all y'all up north are safe and warm. The mess has spun up north and looks like it'll make Glytch not happy. But maybe not give Dinky any snow.

And the warm weather has make it interesting. I have Hibiscus and one crazy Azalea bush with flowers on them. I have seen some birds around that should already be gone. But tonight it'll be in the mid-30's at my house so it's beginning to act a little more like winter.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Hansontoons wrote:And after all the Texas talk, here's hoping all y'all up north are safe and warm. The mess has spun up north and looks like it'll make Glytch not happy. But maybe not give Dinky any snow.

And the warm weather has make it interesting. I have Hibiscus and one crazy Azalea bush with flowers on them. I have seen some birds around that should already be gone. But tonight it'll be in the mid-30's at my house so it's beginning to act a little more like winter.
O ma gawd weather turned so crappy today yuckie-poo

(Placeholder, I'm at work)
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:And after all the Texas talk, here's hoping all y'all up north are safe and warm. The mess has spun up north and looks like it'll make Glytch not happy. But maybe not give Dinky any snow.

Gimme gimme gimme!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dink, I've got a huckload of snow over here, but my vorp system is down... can you spare a cup of plutonium?
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

DinkyInky wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:

Gimme gimme gimme!
No, I'm pretty sure you didn't want this. It was slushing.
Not raining. Not snowing. Slushing.

Absolutely dreadful, completely intolerable, horrible, disgusting, and immensely revolting. It was raining buckets, and it was exactly 32°F. Cars and trees and other such things that didn't benefit from the latent heat in the ground were covered in ice. 40 MPH winds. Floods. Bits of trees flying all over the place, something like 40,000 people without power.

Including my place.

Then it warmed up a bit and it turned into just rain at 33°F. Now it's freezing. I don't know if the roads are going to be ice rinks tomorrow... I really hope not. I don't think I trust the FrankenStratus enough to handle ice.

I'm spending the night in a sleeping bag on an old friend's couch. I hope none of my refrigerated food spoils... I don't need monetary setbacks.

Oh, and did I mention I had to drive through the worst of it on my war to work? That was an adventure. The slush was coming down so hard and fast my windshield wipers literally (real definition) couldn't keep the windshield clear. I was going 45 MPH and the wipers were going at full speed... And I still could only barely see through the windshield.

This weather is the worst kind possible for my joints and bones. Cold and wet... Turned up to eleven. Ugh. My arthritis and AS were hurting so bad I nearly threw up several times, just from the pain... And I work as a truck unloader. not exactly a cushy desk job.

At least I have a place to get a hot shower and have a warm, soft place to sleep.
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Drove through a blizzard last night. Must have tensed up because my back was screaming at me all night at work.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

GlytchMeister wrote:I don't think I trust the FrankenStratus enough to handle ice.
What? You're still driving that? I thought you had moved to a Pontiac G6, or something, that was later heavily modified?

Yes, I do know the difference between fanfiction and reality... why do you ask? ;)

Meanwhile, we're in the process of getting a little over a foot of snow dumped on us, in Montréal... there was about 4 inches overnight, and the rest will continue to fall during the day and tonight.

I like it. :D
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

GlytchMeister wrote:Oh, and did I mention I had to drive through the worst of it on my war to work?
Wow, that's really bad weather. :shock:
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Warrl wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Oh, and did I mention I had to drive through the worst of it on my war to work?
Wow, that's really bad weather. :shock:
... Y'know what? I'm gonna leave that in. It certainly felt like I was in a pitched battle with the elements yesterday.
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

It's cleared up now, and the water (thank goodness) had the decency to soak into the ground before freezing, so the roads were dry.

Now it's just cold, but I can deal with that.
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

GlytchMeister wrote:It's cleared up now, and the water (thank goodness) had the decency to soak into the ground before freezing, so the roads were dry.

Now it's just cold, but I can deal with that.
Most folks get depressed in that weather, I love it. My SAD occurs during the nice weather.

Besides, if I got it a few days, you wouldn't have it. Win-win I'd say.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Julie

Post by Julie »

Hansontoons wrote:Just gusty and wet in Houston area so far, weatherman promised heavier stuff this afternoon. Miss Julie had to duck and cover last night, bad weather was close to her. Opus the Poet and Shadowinthelight are also in the DFW area, hoping they are in good shape!
Sorry for not poking my head in sooner. Life is almost as crazy for me as our weather. :P I ducked and covered, but the damage thankfully was further east...of me and Opus from what I hear. Shadowinthelight lives on the west side of DFW, so he was clear of the mess...though he was out of town anyhow and missed all the fun. So yeah...I think all of the DFW forumites are golden after Saturday.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Julie wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:Just gusty and wet in Houston area so far, weatherman promised heavier stuff this afternoon. Miss Julie had to duck and cover last night, bad weather was close to her. Opus the Poet and Shadowinthelight are also in the DFW area, hoping they are in good shape!
Sorry for not poking my head in sooner. Life is almost as crazy for me as our weather. :P I ducked and covered, but the damage thankfully was further east...of me and Opus from what I hear. Shadowinthelight lives on the west side of DFW, so he was clear of the mess...though he was out of town anyhow and missed all the fun. So yeah...I think all of the DFW forumites are golden after Saturday.
Good to hear! It's been quiet in my neck of the woods since the weekend.

And here is Jasper deploying puppy dog eyes in hope of stray piece of jalapeño sausage from the grill this evening. She did get a bite later! :)
IMG_0785.jpg
IMG_0785.jpg (234.66 KiB) Viewed 9258 times
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Hansontoons wrote:
Julie wrote:
Good to hear! It's been quiet in my neck of the woods since the weekend.

And here is Jasper deploying puppy dog eyes in hope of stray piece of jalapeño sausage from the grill this evening. She did get a bite later! :)
IMG_0785.jpg
So adorable. I had same expression from the kitty. He turned and left when I showed him beef. He prefers cluck over moo. He's actually upset over the vast amount of beef on the menu this week.

--Safyr Drathmir
Julie

Post by Julie »

Hansontoons wrote:And here is Jasper deploying puppy dog eyes in hope of stray piece of jalapeño sausage from the grill this evening. She did get a bite later! :)
She's the cutest! I fed something spicy to Pepper once. It didn't go well. Granted, I did it semi-maliciously as a way to let her know she shouldn't be begging at the dinner table (I let her lick sriracha residue off my finger)...and I felt horrible afterward as I watched her reaction to the spice that wouldn't go away. :oops:
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Julie wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:And here is Jasper deploying puppy dog eyes in hope of stray piece of jalapeño sausage from the grill this evening. She did get a bite later! :)
She's the cutest! I fed something spicy to Pepper once. It didn't go well. Granted, I did it semi-maliciously as a way to let her know she shouldn't be begging at the dinner table (I let her lick sriracha residue off my finger)...and I felt horrible afterward as I watched her reaction to the spice that wouldn't go away. :oops:
As long as it is an annoyance dose done as a "people food is bad", I see no reason not to. Mind you, I have to spray the kitty with a squirt gun instead because my spicy foods are a wee bit above sriracha. Once I discovered kitty friendly soft jerky(his fave is the chicken), he doesn't touch my dinner, though he does tap me with his paw and ask me, "Where's mine?" He also doesn't meow, but instead says, "Mowm?"

--Safyr Drathmir
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

People around here are mostly used to driving in the snow... but what they consistently fail at, is parking in the snow! Every time there is a major snow fall, people will dig their car from the snow to drive to work (or wherever), but when they come back, many will not bother trying to park parallel, but will park in a diagonal, thereby shrinking the amount of roadway available for driving. Enough so, that on bus routes, it becomes impossible to drive the bus, and we have to make a detour until snow removal day! And for some reason, parking signs and restrictions seem to lose their meaning, during that time... It truly is frustrating!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Forgetting how to park in the snow is commonplace anywhere you get several inches of snow at a time.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

jwhouk wrote:Forgetting how to park in the snow is commonplace anywhere you get several inches of snow at a time.
My problem parking in snowy places was less snow, and more the gorramin plows moving all the parking markers, cart corrals, free standing signage.

At my very first job, after encountering this the first time, I convinced the owners to hire a private snow removal team(all people I knew). During closed hours, they used mini blowers to clear where the markers and corrals were, hand removed free stand signs, then used the truck plow to clear the bulk. This way the lot was free.

Oh, and heaven forbid anyone in a fancy car took up a ton of spaces.

One of the owners drove very fancy cars, and parked out in bfe with the rest of us workers...that way customers had prime parking.

This one....gem...always parked his Aston using no less than four spots...usually one was a handicapped. Pretty young spoiled brat, thought girls needed to fall over him. Yes, he tried. No, I pretty much ignored him.
Owner told him to move it, and yes, he'd tell James Bond himself to move it. Guy told him to suck an egg.
Here's a hint. One. Never tell Old man Jack to suck an egg. Two. Icy asphalt...one tiny girl like me could push a car, and I...happened to mention the science of it to him. Three. Most of the baggers were high school football players earning date night funds.
Old man Jack got them to skate that Aston gently(because it wasn't the cars fault her owner was a nozzle) out to the far end of the lot.
He could not complain really, as nobody hurt it, and he avoided a HUGE fine and tow(Winter weather increases fines). He still tried to act all fancy...just took his four spaces out of the middle set instead of the prime spaces. Who says they can't learn? :lol:
Daddy always said old man Jack was purebred jackass. Mother was...less polite. In three languages.
I found him fair, as long as you worked hard, and didn't pad your complaints.
In the handful of dealings with him, I found him stern, no bullshit, to the point, and brutally fair. His word was not law, as he always ran his decisions through his business partner.
They were second gen owners...not afraid of pushing a cart outside...or a broom and mop inside.

Oh, right, snow. Yeah, never have a company snowball fight when he's around...he's got some seriously big paws!
Getting hit by one of those is like getting bowled over by a snowman. Still, anybody that says they were bad will be on "the list". Had we remained in the area, my son would be working there for his first job when he got old enough.

--Safyr Drathmir
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Back in either January or February of '14, I had (within a very short time) the pleasure of driving on snow and later ice, both for the first time. With the snow, so many vehicles had been left abandoned in the area I worked, and very few people were out in the weather. I happened to be borrowing my parents truck that night, and before I took it out of park I put it in 4 lo (for those who don't know, that's four wheel drive, low gear), and didn't even reach 30mph until I got to the mostly empty interstate. My parents stopped me just a few miles from the house, and dad and I spent the next couple hours pulling people out of the ditch.

At one point some dumbass came down the hill where we were trying to pull someone out. He went between us and her vehicle, missing both by inches, and ran over the tow strap. If there'd been any less slack in it, he'd have pulled us into the side of his vehicle.

The ice later on (a day or three, can't remember) wasn't so bad. I kept hearing about how bad black ice is, but I saw it with no trouble. The fact that it was shinier than the asphalt may have been the contributing factor there.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.