Spicy Stuff Recipe

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

AnotherFairportfan

Spicy Stuff Recipe

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Someone asked me for the recipe - such as it is - when i mentioned my spicy rice online, so i got fancy.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Jabberwonky

Re: Spicy Stuff Recipe

Post by Jabberwonky »

Interesting, I might have to try that on Sunday...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Julie

Post by Julie »

Mmmmm...spicy rice...
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

gonna have to try this one myself. made much milder though since the wife has NO heat tolerance. have actually had the woman bitch that bell peppers were to spicy at times.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

oldmanmickey wrote:gonna have to try this one myself. made much milder though since the wife has NO heat tolerance. have actually had the woman bitch that bell peppers were too spicy at times.

Bell peppers are one of the few members of the capsicum-pepper family that have forgotten how to make capsicum. They are about as spicy as cow's milk.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Warrl wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:gonna have to try this one myself. made much milder though since the wife has NO heat tolerance. have actually had the woman bitch that bell peppers were too spicy at times.
Bell peppers are one of the few members of the capsicum-pepper family that have forgotten how to make capsicum. They are about as spicy as cow's milk.
And, I've known at least two people for whom they were "too spicy" - a former co-worker, and my brother-in-law up in Seattle, won't touch 'em.

I have to be careful about making stuff, too. As a confirmed chili-head, my tolerance for 8-methyl-N-vanillyl-6-nonenamide is high enough that I'm actively dangerous to other people. Never trust my opinion about whether something is "too hot".

I once made up a big panful of "dirt bombs" (brussels sprouts, sauteed with some garlic in olive oil until well browned), used enough red-pepper-infused olive oil to make them "slightly warm" to my own taste, and then carelessly offered some to my wife. I'd forgotten how far apart our calibration standards are. Poor lady went into a coughing fit for five minutes... to her they were quite painful and entirely inedible. :oops: :cry:

I won't say that was the incident that got her to practicing with the dart-gun, but...

Likewise, if I made up Mike's recipe, I'd have to make two batches - one pretty much as prescribed, and one sans hot peppers and with only "mild" salsa.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

I will say that I find *green* bell peppers (and green peppers in general) inedible for reasons that have nothing to do with capsicum. But red and yellow are fine. All the green ones really need is to be harvested a week or two later.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Recipe is scrolled over on itself. Kindle Fire HD/X 7.

I tried Silk and Dolphin browsers, same issue.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:
Warrl wrote:
And, I've known at least two people for whom they were "too spicy" - a former co-worker, and my brother-in-law up in Seattle, won't touch 'em.

I have to be careful about making stuff, too. As a confirmed chili-head, my tolerance for 8-methyl-N-vanillyl-6-nonenamide is high enough that I'm actively dangerous to other people. Never trust my opinion about whether something is "too hot".

I once made up a big panful of "dirt bombs" (brussels sprouts, sauteed with some garlic in olive oil until well browned), used enough red-pepper-infused olive oil to make them "slightly warm" to my own taste, and then carelessly offered some to my wife. I'd forgotten how far apart our calibration standards are. Poor lady went into a coughing fit for five minutes... to her they were quite painful and entirely inedible. :oops: :cry:

I won't say that was the incident that got her to practicing with the dart-gun, but...

Likewise, if I made up Mike's recipe, I'd have to make two batches - one pretty much as prescribed, and one sans hot peppers and with only "mild" salsa.
I have to make differing batches of chili. My brother and I can eat Sydney level hot...my mother and sisters not so much.
I laughed at this Mexican place that had,"very very very hot" chili de Arbol salsa. The more they warned me and called it hot, the more I put on the taco, until it was smothered, and said it was baby food, and I'd consider a mildly spicy warning if they were Scotch Bonnets, and seriously get excited if they used Naga's.

They crossed themselves and called me, "una señora diablo".
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Julie

Post by Julie »

Dave wrote:
Warrl wrote:

Same here...I know two people who have called bell peppers too spicy...and while I'm not your level of chili head, I do enjoy spicy food. Bring on the jalapeno and habanero!!
"Just open your eyes
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

DinkyInky wrote:Recipe is scrolled over on itself. Kindle Fire HD/X 7.

I tried Silk and Dolphin browsers, same issue.
Hmmm. It's 800 pixels wide - i'll see if i can make a different version at a narrower setting.

Meanwhile, you can download a PDF here - it might work better.

Meanwhile, i'll definitely make an un-formatted PDF.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I'm sorry, burning myself holds no attraction for me- I'm very much into flavours but even weak ol Louisiana Hot Sauce is only good for covering nasty eggs at breakfast time.

I am much more into nuanced tastes; lately I've been experimenting with adding the same ingredients at differing times during the cooking process- in a nutshell One Third Early on, One Third halfway through, and One Third right near the end.

Of course that rough explanation bears little in common with the reality, but it's just an example of the idea.

ps- I've eaten scotch-bonnets directly; it's not that I cant take it, it's that I just don't like it...

you be crayzee mon n laydee...
Dave

Post by Dave »

DinkyInky wrote:They crossed themselves and called me, "una señora diablo".
Your middle name isn't "Sydney", is it? :)
TazManiac wrote:you be crayzee mon n laydee...
True dat!
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Now don't misunderstand me either, i have on quite a few occasions ran into stuff to hot for me as well. I do enjoy some spice but i know my limits. The wife on the other hand has no tolerance for anything spicy at all. The idiot sons however love burn out contests. :shock: Could she be Sydney?
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Now that I think on it, maybe it's just an internal chemical thing, but cause despite what I was just spiting above- I like Horseradish.

Esp, and going back as far as I can remember stuff like 'Horsey Sauce' on Arby's roast beef burgers,
and that stuff I just learned (from DinkyInky?) they are calling Wasabi is most of the time just green colored h. radish anyway.

Huh...

Its not you, it's me.
Dave

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote:Now that I think on it, maybe it's just an internal chemical thing, but cause despite what I was just spiting above- I like Horseradish.
Well, chemically, that's a different "hot" from capsicum-hot. I don't doubt that there are different receptors involved in the human body. No reason your nervous system (and preferences) shouldn't favor one over the other.

I'm fond of both (with a definite preference for grated raw horseradish over the creme-type most places serve).
Julie

Post by Julie »

Dave wrote:
TazManiac wrote:Now that I think on it, maybe it's just an internal chemical thing, but cause despite what I was just spiting above- I like Horseradish.
Well, chemically, that's a different "hot" from capsicum-hot. I don't doubt that there are different receptors involved in the human body. No reason your nervous system (and preferences) shouldn't favor one over the other.

I'm fond of both (with a definite preference for grated raw horseradish over the creme-type most places serve).
This...becauseb oth of my friends withn o tolerance for pepper heat enjoy horseradish or things with horseradish in them. :)
"Just open your eyes
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Yeah, I am apparently a super-taster or something... If there's any sort of capsaicin-type spice in something, I WILL taste it, and it WILL burn. Too much ketchup on a fry can be spicy enough to send me hunting for milk.
Trust me, some bell peppers still know how to make capsaicin. They are definitely spicier than cow's milk.

The spiciest thing I can eat is Ajinomoto Orange Chicken and fried rice. It's my favorite (kinda) Asian dish, and it has the added benefit of being easy to make - it comes out of a box, but no microwaves are allowed. I bake the meat and stir-fry the rice. I probably do it wrong :P but it's still very tasty.
I sometimes have to drink a quart of milk to survive that stuff.

Another thing that I can barely eat and require copious amounts of milk to finish is Pizza Hut's Honey BBQ boneless wings. Yes, I know, that stuff is probably nasty in comparison to real chicken and whatnot (especially after having tasted some really good fried chicken). But it's something I think most of you will be able to understand how (un)spicy that is.

However, in regards to horseradish... I think honey Dijon mustard has horseradish in it. I like that, but I've never had straight horseradish. *shrug*

I'm the same with alcohol. I don't care what mix you have... I've had plenty of people tell me "Oh, you won't be able to taste the alcohol at all!"
Well... I do. And it's abhorrent. Bitter, nasty, astringent, icky, sharp, and gross. Horrible aftertaste. Hard to get off my tongue.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:They crossed themselves and called me, "una señora diablo".
Your middle name isn't "Sydney", is it? :)
TazManiac wrote:you be crayzee mon n laydee...
True dat!
Nope, though it does begin with the same letter... :P

Esp, and going back as far as I can remember stuff like 'Horsey Sauce' on Arby's roast beef burgers,
and that stuff I just learned (from DinkyInky?) they are calling Wasabi is most of the time just green colored h. radish anyway.

Huh...

Its not you, it's me.
Yup. Horseradish, mustard, and green colourant.

I adore horseradish grated, mixed with mashed pickled beets for my Easter ham. I got my tolerance levels from both sides...lucky me.

Funniest thing is when my toddler son(about two) grabbed a hot pepper out of a produce bin without me seeing and gobbled it. Poor kid working ran and, bless his heart, got my son milk and cookies because he was afraid of my son being hurt. I told his boss(who worked with my Dad), the kid needed a raise for his kindness and care of customers. I then told him my son would be fine, as this wasn't the first time he ate hot peppers.
Last edited by DinkyInky on Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--Safyr Drathmir
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

If horseradish don't pop your skull, it ain't fresh...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.