WTF ARE WE DOING???

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Sgt. Howard

Re: WTF ARE WE DOING???

Post by Sgt. Howard »

The lot of you could be speaking Ukrainian and I would have a better chance at understand it- but as long as YOU know what yer talking about, I'm happy
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

jwhouk wrote:Too far away for tech support, Dinky.
You are now, yes. You were rather close before I moved.

But thanks for the thought. :D
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

The Wapsi Themed Fanfic page is up.

Just a quick-and-dirty index page with a link to some test FLACs I just recorded. "test" is just that, using the laptop's internal mic; "_normalized" is same file after using Audacity's Normalize filter.

When I get the upload widget installed, I'd like to use this file naming convention:
yymmdd_[source]_[description].flac
A reminder will be posted at the gate.

EDIT: Did some experimenting with telephone effect. If some of you with better ears for nuance (and better speakers... gonna have to invest in a good set of cans) would give a listen.... "phone_44,1" is straight voice, "phone_8k" is previous exported at a 8k bit rate. I can't discern a difference. Take those voice and apply a 15db clipped Amplify and High Pass Filter with a 6dB rolloff at 1000Hz and you get the "hipass" versions. I left the AC on for Foley purposes.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

shadowinthelight wrote:I'm sorry, but the audiophile in me is cringing at the suggestion of everyone compressing their submissions to MP3. Lossy formats should only be used for distribution after the final mix. Audacity has the ability to save to FLAC which will preserve each sample's quality.
Hey, be nice: stop giving him flack! :P
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AmriloJim wrote:The Wapsi Themed Fanfic page is up.

Just a quick-and-dirty index page with a link to some test FLACs I just recorded. "test" is just that, using the laptop's internal mic; "_normalized" is same file after using Audacity's Normalize filter.

When I get the upload widget installed, I'd like to use this file naming convention:
yymmdd_[source]_[description].flac
A reminder will be posted at the gate.

EDIT: Did some experimenting with telephone effect. If some of you with better ears for nuance (and better speakers... gonna have to invest in a good set of cans) would give a listen.... "phone_44,1" is straight voice, "phone_8k" is previous exported at a 8k bit rate. I can't discern a difference. Take those voice and apply a 15db clipped Amplify and High Pass Filter with a 6dB rolloff at 1000Hz and you get the "hipass" versions. I left the AC on for Foley purposes.
I tried downloading the files, to listen to them, but it says the files aren't there... :?
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

lake_wrangler wrote:I tried downloading the files, to listen to them, but it says the files aren't there... :?
Fixed. Thank you.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Sir: I have a file for use, but its 11 minute length in FLAC registers it at 36.4 MB in size...

(It's me, reading the text of "On The Beach" - the dialogue between Kevin and Bud back in November of 2014 after Monica broke up with him.)

Ah, it's small enough that Google Drive doesn't compain. This is a good thing.

151015_JWHouk_On The Beach Reading.flac
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

um.... Wow.

It's 5 mins to Midnight, three pages in, and a lot of what I would have added has already been mentioned so I'll 'Mee-Too' the suggestions for Audacity'*, defaulting to a lossless (non-MP3) format for editing/mastering, and Dinky; I'm sending you a link, (check you Forum Inbox), to a workaround, re: Win8.

PS- I've been using Audacity to help with an ongoing Analog (TAPEs, etc) to Digital Conversion/Archiving Project. I was actually going to tear down the rig in order to vacate the shared space it's in, but I'll likely set up a mini, cut down version now.

I'm going to start a separate thread titled Audacity, (duh...) and add more relevant info as things progress. As with most Open Source, and/or 'Rich in Detail and Controls' type application (Photoshop or Gimp anyone?, AutoCad?) I've taught myself to do a few things well with it, but don't claim to be a PhD type Audio Wizard quite yet. (That would be my Brother, the Audio Engineer...)

Still, I can certenly aid and assist the Newbie segment in Downloading, Installing, and getting it dialed in, across differing platforms.

That was a long post, eh?
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Quick follow up before I lay head on pillow;
------------------

OK, here is an in-thread whistle wetter; minimally searched for content, but lets think of this as Sourdough Starter for now...

tutorial- your first recording <-- HTML, from the authentic Audacity Team <dot> Org site.

These next two might have issues of fair-use but I found them in less than 30 sec of a Google search, reading them would seem to be OK, re-publishing them may not be...

https://itunesu.boisestate.edu/audacity_basic.pdf

https://web.stanford.edu/dept/lc/ats/Au ... ctions.pdf

More and better to follow...
AmriloJim

Post by AmriloJim »

Tazzie, the "Audacity for Dummies" thread is a great idea. Glad you concur with the options we put out there.

JW, your FLAC has been downloaded and installed on my server. (For some reason, I started to write 'interred' in jest, but didn't want to imply anything negative about your efforts.)
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Here's a challenge- can we connect SKYPE to this sort of thing?
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Here's a challenge- can we connect SKYPE to this sort of thing?
This. If that were possible, I could easily use his tablet while little bit is in school, and the mine to Skype the reading to another party who could record it. I have a good headset/mic for my tablet...

Well, if that would even work...
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

There should be a way to record conversations directly from Skype, but I would not recommend it for the final product. Talking via Skype will help the actors play off each other, to some degree, but there is also a delay of a fraction of a second between the time someone starts to speak, and the time the others hear it, so that it would be difficult to properly time the act of cutting off someone when starting to reply (i.e. one may hear the other person, and cut them off according to the time they hear their voice, but his own will come in slightly later to everyone else, so the "cuttee" will take a moment longer to react to the "cutter" cutting him off). We can still get the gist of it, but a careful manipulation of all the sound files in an editor will be better for the final result. That, and there is the very real possibility that there is lag on someone's part, which may cause a degradation in the sound quality coming from them, whereas their own recording, on their side, would still be good.

Therefore, I would say that when the time comes for it, we do indeed connect via Skype, and one of the participants (someone with a fast computer and lots of drive space) would record the whole conference call (to compare with, as the files are edited later in an editing software), while each participant would, on their side, record strictly their own voice from the call, via Audacity, making sure to set the recording source as whatever microphone you are using, and not the sound card itself (to only catch your own voice, not the whole conference call), and to use headphones to listen to the call, so that there is no bleed through from speakers to mic. Once the call is done, we export the sound file into FLAC format, and send the file to, most likely, AmariloJim, at first. If he needs to send some of the files to TazManiac or myself, once he has them all in, so we can help with the cleanup and stuff, he can then do so.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

lake_wrangler wrote:There should be a way to record conversations directly from Skype, but I would not recommend it for the final product. Talking via Skype will help the actors play off each other, to some degree, but there is also a delay of a fraction of a second between the time someone starts to speak, and the time the others hear it, so that it would be difficult to properly time the act of cutting off someone when starting to reply (i.e. one may hear the other person, and cut them off according to the time they hear their voice, but his own will come in slightly later to everyone else, so the "cuttee" will take a moment longer to react to the "cutter" cutting him off). We can still get the gist of it, but a careful manipulation of all the sound files in an editor will be better for the final result. That, and there is the very real possibility that there is lag on someone's part, which may cause a degradation in the sound quality coming from them, whereas their own recording, on their side, would still be good.

Therefore, I would say that when the time comes for it, we do indeed connect via Skype, and one of the participants (someone with a fast computer and lots of drive space) would record the whole conference call (to compare with, as the files are edited later in an editing software), while each participant would, on their side, record strictly their own voice from the call, via Audacity, making sure to set the recording source as whatever microphone you are using, and not the sound card itself (to only catch your own voice, not the whole conference call), and to use headphones to listen to the call, so that there is no bleed through from speakers to mic. Once the call is done, we export the sound file into FLAC format, and send the file to, most likely, AmariloJim, at first. If he needs to send some of the files to TazManiac or myself, once he has them all in, so we can help with the cleanup and stuff, he can then do so.
I will need help setting that up- as , I am sure, several others- but I see where that is a fairly simple way to process the whole thing. I see several Skype sessions just to learn the cadence and play with the script- just because it looks good on paper, etc.- but this is beginning to look VERY doable.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

No deal breakers in sight, quite yet.

Today is a very 'Get Off the Interwebz and help load the Pick-Up Truck type day for me, so forthcoming, will have to be just that.

(but I got iderzzzz...)
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

No way to run Audacity. My machines are down, and I cannot get Audacity on my tablet.

--Safyr Drathmir
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

DinkyInky wrote:No way to run Audacity. My machines are down, and I cannot get Audacity on my tablet.
Yes you still can, but I haven't sent you that message yet. Bear wit me a bit more, (I am currently @ the local Library reseaching a non-working hydraulic system for a 1947 Ford tractor...)

Gimme some time this eve and I'll send you the easy-peasy, make no changes to your current system, yet it still works magic pixie dust solution.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

TazManiac wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:No way to run Audacity. My machines are down, and I cannot get Audacity on my tablet.
Yes you still can, but I haven't sent you that message yet. Bear wit me a bit more, (I am currently @ the local Library reseaching a non-working hydraulic system for a 1947 Ford tractor...)

Gimme some time this eve and I'll send you the easy-peasy, make no changes to your current system, yet it still works magic pixie dust solution.
I can't get it to side load on my tablet, and there isn't a native one, despite frequent requests for it.

Waiting to see what's planned.

--Safyr Drathmir
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

OK- Al cannot do the vocals- I need somebody who can do a competent limey... in the absence thereof, I need someone who can do ME, as I can do a competent Limey.
Atomic and/or Wrangler, I suspect one of you might be the candidate- I have just from hell which is why I have only been short posting. Either one of you, contact me about a decent time to Skype tomorrow, I seem to have the day free (wow).
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

TazManiac wrote:

PS- I've been in touch with DinkyInky, but upon finding her level of Tech-Fu was much more advanced than I had taken for granted, I jumped up to an overview response and didn't actually forward along any step-by-step instructions.

Which I'm still capable of and willing to do, for anybody who doesn't feel real comfortable with 'rolling yer own', computer and apps wise.
Last edited by TazManiac on Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.