Purpose Comment Section

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Sgt. Howard

Re: Purpose Comment Section

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:Y'know, what with being an apex predator on top of the food chain and all that, Apotropiac Sphinxes (besides Phix) aren't really all that advanced.
It's like half of their brain is stuck in caveman mode.
Phix managed to get some WD-40 in there and get the other half turning too, but it still seizes up from time to time.

Just an interesting way of thinking. I don't think we humans would have gotten as clever as we have if we started out on top of the food chain.
Our social skills are a survival tech- we are not fast, strong or deadly 'as is'. We cannot bring down prey with our teeth and fingernails. We had no choice- think 'outside the box' or face extinction. AND SOMEHOW WE APPARENTLY GRASPED THAT CONCEPT.
We cannot fly- yet we fly. We cannot breath underwater- yet we breath underwater. We cannot survive in a vacuum- yet we do, and the list goes on. There is nothing on the planet we cannot hunt and kill. There is nowhere on the planet that we cannot explore. Yet without our technology, we are not much more than bait... and when I say technology, I include the wheel, flint knives and spears, clothes, shoes...

Yet if Tigers or Lions could learn of our thinking, I doubt it would have much impact on their society- they are still multiple generations of 'Might makes Right,"
-for that matter, there are many humans who are only slightly better in this regard... sadly, too many of these are rulers of countries with frightening military capacity. Glytch, I think you've tagged onto something there...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Just an interesting way of thinking. I don't think we humans would have gotten as clever as we have if we started out on top of the food chain.
Glytch, I think you've tagged onto something there...
He's smrt like that. :)
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Hmmm.

Perhaps that is exactly what occurred with sphinxes: they used to be basic predators...

Oooh.

They used to be basic predators, with a very strong hold on their position at the top of the food chain. Their prey, possibly demons?, began to get clever like we did... OHO! BINGO!

Demons prey/infest on sapient life forms! I think their continual hunting of smart things resulted in a modified version of natural selection, favoring more intelligent demons! We can see this in action with Monica! She was clever enough to harness her demons, culminating in them eventually allowing for nose flicks! That's the kind of little, tiny step of progress evolution is all about! So as demons evolved to keep up with their prey, Apotropiac Sphinxes had to evolve, favoring intelligence, while still keeping the attributes that got them to the top of the food chain in the first place. Sphinxes may have once been basic predators... But now they are being forced to become smarter to keep up with their constantly learning prey...
But they also have hundreds of thousands of millennia' worth of evolution and social stuff that is keeping them from going fully civilized!
BOOM (<---that's the sound of my mind blowing my mind)
Domesticated animals are fundamentally different from their wild counterparts not just psychologically but also genetically! And sphinxes are still wild animals!
Humans have domesticated themselves! Demons are approaching that, but they're slower because they are predators, but they are still prey to sphinxes, allowing for a slower rate of self-domestication.
Sphinxes, however, have nothing to select against the wild inside them. So it isn't. It's actually, due to their persisting societal norms, selected favorably. Less wild sphinxes get eaten by other sphinxes. Cannibalism isn't very unnatural in the wild. Happens all the time.

Holy crap. I understand what's up with sphinxes so much more!

Whew! I haven had a brainwave like that in a long time! My heart is going kinda fast! Weeee!
Last edited by GlytchMeister on Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Check for shrunken dogs in the vicinity. ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Nah, my bursts of intellectual inspiration result in stuff more akin to what you might find in some room of Castle Heterodyne.
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:Holy crap. I understand what's up with sphinxes so much more!

Whew! I haven had a brainwave like that in a long time! My heart is going kinda fast! Weeee!
Very nice analysis, Glytch!
GlytchMeister wrote:Nah, my bursts of intellectual inspiration result in stuff more akin to what you might find in some room of Castle Heterodyne.
So, do we start calling you Sparky, and you change the hand-flame in your avatar to a hand-lightning-bolt or hand-Tesla-coil-discharge?
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I'm more of a pyro than a spark. If anything, my first spark creation would be some sort of palm-flamethrower.
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:Hmmm.

Perhaps that is exactly what occurred with sphinxes: they used to be basic predators...

Oooh.

They used to be basic predators, with a very wrong hold on their position at the top of the food chain. Their prey, possibly demons?, began to get clever like we did... OHO! BINGO!

Demons prey/infest on sapient life forms! I think their continual hunting of smart things resulted in a modified version of natural selection, favoring more intelligent demons! We can see this in action with Monica! She was clever enough to harness her demons, culminating in them eventually allowing for nose flicks! That's the kind of little, tiny step of progress evolution is all about! So as demons evolved to keep up with their prey, Apotropiac Sphinxes had to evolve, favoring intelligence, while still keeping the attributes that got them to the top of the food chain in the first place. Sphinxes may have once been basic predators... But now they are being forced to become smarter to keep up with their constantly learning prey...
But they also have hundreds of thousands of millennia' worth of evolution and social stuff that is keeping them from going fully civilized!
BOOM (<---that's the sound of my mind blowing my mind)
Domesticated animals are fundamentally different from their wild counterparts not just psychologically but also genetically! And sphinxes are still wild animals!
Humans have domesticated themselves! Demons are approaching that, but they're slower because they are predators, but they are still prey to sphinxes, allowing for a slower rate of self-domestication.
Sphinxes, however, have nothing to select against the wild inside them. So it isn't. It's actually, due to their persisting societal norms, selected favorably. Less wild sphinxes get eaten by other sphinxes. Cannibalism isn't very unnatural in the wild. Happens all the time.

Holy crap. I understand what's up with sphinxes so much more!

I would have thought the nature of their courtship would have solidified that concept- yeah, they are very much a wild thing. They can ACT civilized, domesticated, but it is an ACT! Neil is just lucky they don't eat the male after mating...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

You know, we don't see many male apos... And Brian didn't stick around the Library after he was born...
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:You know, we don't see many male apos... And Brian didn't stick around the Library after he was born...
That's due to the sexual dimorphism of sphinxes. The genes that make them large, winged, wild animals are only present in females. Males just turn out as humans with latent, recessive, Sphinx alleles.
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

AUTHOR'S DESPERATE CALL FOR HELP:

I don't know a dang thing about ancient mesoamerican mythology. The myth of the Jaguar Girl is Mayan (right?) and I need help with... Well, I just need the basics of Mayan myth, because Wikipedia keeps talking about things like God A, God A', and God A way, and I'm really freakin confused.
*deep breath*
Ok... How about something simple: what is the name of the Mayan underworld, as in where the dead people go? I can get the next section done nice and quick if I just knew that bit.
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

AUTHOR'S QUIP:

Good gawd, I can't believe Paul started with mesoamerican mythos. I much prefer Greek/Roman. So much easier.
Heck, Norse mythology feels like a piece of cake compared to mesoamerican myths. Starting with maya myths and then moving on to Greek, at least to me, feels like learning how to prepare pufferfish sushi before learning the proper way to make pb&j's.
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I'll ask Monica next time I see her.

;)
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:AUTHOR'S DESPERATE CALL FOR HELP:

I don't know a dang thing about ancient mesoamerican mythology. The myth of the Jaguar Girl is Mayan (right?) and I need help with... Well, I just need the basics of Mayan myth, because Wikipedia keeps talking about things like God A, God A', and God A way, and I'm really freakin confused.
*deep breath*
Ok... How about something simple: what is the name of the Mayan underworld, as in where the dead people go? I can get the next section done nice and quick if I just knew that bit.
Bakersfield?
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

GlytchMeister wrote:AUTHOR'S DESPERATE CALL FOR HELP:

*deep breath*
Try Google to locate more sources... of course then you have to decide which sources are comprehensible and at least plausibly accurate.

The realm of the dead is Xibalba. It's mentioned in the main surviving manuscript of the Mayan religion, the Popol Vuh, which conveniently happens to be available (in English, yet) as an ebook in several formats (and probably more elsewhere).

That's more than I knew about Mayan mythology five minutes ago, so I'll let you take it from there.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I thought...
*looks at previous post to confirm spelling*
Uh..."Xibalba"... Was one of the death gods... And I thought the... Uh... "Popol Vul" was the King god or something.
Wow. I was so confused I was clicking all the wrong links. Jeeze. Thanks. I think I can take the wheel again.

*shakes head, slightly ashamed* Man, I gotta get my head screwed on straight if I'm this confused...
I'm too much!
Dave

Post by Dave »

GlytchMeister wrote:*shakes head, slightly ashamed* Man, I gotta get my head screwed on straight if I'm this confused...
I tried that, years ago. As far as I can report or tell, it doesn't seem to have helped.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:*shakes head, slightly ashamed* Man, I gotta get my head screwed on straight if I'm this confused...
I tried that, years ago. As far as I can report or tell, it doesn't seem to have helped.
Well, obviously it was cross-threaded and somebody put locktight in there. Don't try and force it, you might strip it out. And then what will you do?
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Dave wrote:
Well, obviously it was cross-threaded and somebody put locktight in there. Don't try and force it, you might strip it out. And then what will you do?
When you find out, let us all know...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Julie

Post by Julie »

GlytchMeister wrote:I'm more of a pyro than a spark. If anything, my first spark creation would be some sort of palm-flamethrower.
When you make one, let me know. I wanna buy one! :P

And more on topic, here's to visiting Xibalba! Let's hope that they all make it out alive. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."