Purpose

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

GlytchMeister

Re: Purpose

Post by GlytchMeister »

Dave wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:AUTHOR'S QUIP:

The benches here in the Great Hall of Union Station are really freakin uncomfortable. Would it be too hard to glue some damn cushions or something on them?
I rather suspect that's deliberate. It's Rule 19.735(a)6 in the Bureaucrat's Handbook. "Thall shalt not have comfortable seats or benches in any area generally open to the public after 9 P.M. People might want to sleep on them. This isn't a hotel."
Well, at least the train is nice. I got this back seat with a huge empty space behind me, so I can recline aaawwwlll tha waaaay back, and not annoy anyone.
Plus, I stand almost six feet tall. The legroom here is AMAZING. And I'm just in the coach section!
Amtrak is friggin awesome. Gonna get some good, comfy writing in today.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Bia was having trouble keeping up with these nerdy librarian minions.
Once she had distributed the earpieces, she returned to the control room, which looked like a Time-Lord version of NASA's Mission Control. Multiple beings were overseeing the collection of data alone... Per earpiece. A team of twenty were busily compiling and processing the data, and several others were proof reading this team's efforts. Once the data was processed, the results were run through a modified Library Search Engine, which ran using numbers and statistics instead of user queries made of words.
The "Data" being collected was made up of several things. Regular, basic data like visuals, temperature, gravitational constants, sound patterns, magnetic field strength and orientation, and stuff like that was collected at the fastest pace. More of it was needed to help with an ID, so the sample rates for these were blisteringly quick.
But things like variations in the strength of gravity, gamma or neutrino radiation, fluctuations in the Higgs field, and more were either very rarely sampled due to concerns with battery life or because it took so long for the tiny little ear pieces to actually finish making a data point.
Bia was no slouch in the realm of academia. She'd been around for a really long time, and had plenty of time to study.
Not that she frequently tried. Often she just picked stuff up after hearing it over and over for a few centuries. That, and her Dad wanted to make sure she kept up with the times, so he would have her take a graduate course once in a while.
She probably would have earned earned several doctorates if they didn't require writing a thesis and actually contributing to the field.
But this crowd was light years ahead of her. It was as if Bia was still an Ancient Greek and everyone around her was from Star Trek.
Speaking of...
"Ok, seriously? Did somebody actually just say 'Tachyon radiation is going through the roof'? Please tell me you at least didn't keep a straight face!" Bia whirled toward one corner of the control room.
Several of the data processing workers snorted and broke into fits of laughter.
Bia rolled her eyes and, with a huff, left the room. Maybe she could convince Phix to let her torment Nudge for a few minutes.
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

My question would be, what's a hell hole doing in the Union League Club of Chicago?

EDIT: And right smack dab in the middle of The Loop?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I picked the coordinates by looking at google maps and zooming in on where Chicago was labeled.

The Hole is a separate plane of reality, totally unrelated to Chicago. Charon will be making a cameo, he'll be taking us there. As it is an offshoot of Tatarus, which itself a section I the Underworld, Charon is the guy with the keys to the place.
Possibly figuratively. Still working that out.
I'm too much!
Jharris16-17

Post by Jharris16-17 »

GlytchMeister wrote:I picked the coordinates by looking at google maps and zooming in on where Chicago was labeled.

The Hole is a separate plane of reality, totally unrelated to Chicago. Charon will be making a cameo, he'll be taking us there. As it is an offshoot of Tatarus, which itself a section I the Underworld, Charon is the guy with the keys to the place.

Small little nitpick isn't Charon supposed to be spelled Chiron? Are we talking trainer of all Greek heroes since the beginning of time or the son of Chronos with a bad attitudes?
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Jharris16-17 wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:I picked the coordinates by looking at google maps and zooming in on where Chicago was labeled.

Small little nitpick isn't Charon supposed to be spelled Chiron? Are we talking trainer of all Greek heroes since the beginning of time or the son of Chronos with a bad attitudes?
Charon, the ferryman on the Styx? Dude with the boat that carries souls across the Styx to the underworld when they die?
I'm too much!
Jharris16-17

Post by Jharris16-17 »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Jharris16-17 wrote:

Charon, the ferryman on the Styx? Dude with the boat that carries souls across the Styx to the underworld when they die?
Oh my bad, got names confused there now it makes sense.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Light years ahead of what I do- I serve mostly comedy, YOU rip up the fabric of reality and weave it into macramé...

but seriously- if there's a hole next to hell, wouldn't it be closer to Pittsburgh? I'll grant you, Chicago would be a close second...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

I dunno, I've never seen a more wretched hive of scum and villainy than Chicago.

And, what're talking about, me being light years ahead of you? Give yourself some credit, man. I would pay a steep price to write like you can.
You have emotion. I feel like I struggle to properly capture the correct feelings and behavior of characters that aren't based directly on me.
But you? For the most part, your interpretations are spot on. I can totally see the characters acting like they do in your stuff.
Last edited by GlytchMeister on Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:I dunno, I've never seen a more wretched hive of scum and villainy than Chicago.

And, what're talking about, me being light years ahead of you? I've yourself some credit, man. I would pay a steep price to write like you can.
You have emotion. I feel like I struggle to properly capture the correct feelings and behavior of characters that aren't based directly on me.
But you? For the most part, your interpretations are spot on. I can totally see the characters acting like they do in your stuff.
Create your characters, make them as real as you can. Put them in the situation you have created in your mind. Describe what you observe.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Sgt. Howard wrote:Create your characters, make them as real as you can. Put them in the situation you have created in your mind. Describe what you observe.
That's basically what I do to try to get it right sometimes. I create a full mental simulation, Holo-Deck style, and just keep imagining stuff until it feels right.
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Detroy-it. Hell is located near Detroy-it.

I mean, just look at it!
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

but, er, um... Sunnydale?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

TazManiac wrote:but, er, um... Sunnydale?
Ask Buffy.
Jharris16-17

Post by Jharris16-17 »

jwhouk wrote:
Ask Buffy.

I thought it was Los Angelos?
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Jharris16-17 wrote:
jwhouk wrote:
Ask Buffy.

I thought it was Los Angelos?
Actually James- LA is just a minor subdivision... kinda like an annex... but Satan DOES use it for a breeding grounds...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Okay, now I know you're wrong. The breeding ground is Hollywood. ;)
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

...what makes you think he only has one?
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:...what makes you think he only has one?
... true, Satan uses Aspin Colorado for the breeding grounds of California Yuppies...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

GlytchMeister wrote:...what makes you think he only has one?
^5