Think Like That 2015-04-30

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Thor

Re: Think Like That 2015-04-30

Post by Thor »

Warrl wrote:Back to the subject of the comic:

What Nadette says to Atsali here might not be the best thing she could possibly have said, but it's pretty darn good for a kid her age.
And next comic, we'll see Atsali completely feral, feasting on Nadette's liver.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

I agree with Warri;

One day we were cleaning up around my Mom's ol house and a good friend of mine (inebriated) needed too much instruction ("Dude, you know how to sweep with a broom, don't you?")

But because it was more trouble than he was able to, at the time, generate worth- I kicked him out. He said-

"
That's OK, I'll be back tomorrow...
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Catawampus wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:Just a stray thought here but we do know Stali becomes a writer because Phix said so, her books are in the library.
We do?

Word of God, we do. We are seeing the backstory on how she became an award-winning YA author.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The Young Adult Author thing came from a sketch Paul did about... oh geez, I'd have to look... July of 2014? The backstory was that this was what she'd look like at age 21. Basically, it's scarf and John Lennon glasses. A bit later was a similarly time-advanced Castela showing her "rebellious" side.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Thor wrote:And next comic, we'll see Atsali completely feral, feasting on Nadette's liver.
Justin: "Hey, that's my brother's thing."
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

captnq wrote:About the privacy issue.

The NSA has admitted that they keep a copy of the internet. If a packet of info goes from anywhere to anywhere and it passes through American controlled connections, they make a copy. Exactly how is disabling cookies going to stop that?
I know disabling cookies doesn't do anything versus the NSA. It does, however, help cut down on unnecessary and unwanted tracking by companies and websites.

I use Tails when I really wanna hide from NSA. That usually occurs when I'm researching stuff for a book I'm writing that, when viewed from the outside without that context, makes me look like a friggin terrorist wannabe.
TazManiac wrote:I think we was being (at least partly) factitious...

'tabs' are when the browser allows you to open another 'window' within the existing frame or instance of the Browser.

(You could just as easily open a whole 'nother instance of the program, but..) having a few tabs open allows, among other things, the ability to leave a given web page in whatever state you might want to step away from and work on another page- even from the same web site mind you, and flip right back over to the first page, or Tab.

Here is a pretty dense but seemingly informative page I found via Google: 'firefox tabbed browsing' where my search perimeters.

http://dmcritchie.mvps.org/firefox/tabs.htm
Oh.

I thought he was talking about some other kind of tab that I didn't know about. Yeah, my browsers do tabs. :roll:
Opus the Poet wrote:
Catawampus wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:Just a stray thought here but we do know Stali becomes a writer because Phix said so, her books are in the library.
We do?

Word of God, we do. We are seeing the backstory on how she became an award-winning YA author.
I... Don't think this is all a flashback. That YA sketch didn't appear on the main site, did it? On a weekday update? Because if not, then the whole comic would be the flashback, Calendar Machine Arc and all.

Yikes, sorry for the huge post, just wanted to get it all out there.
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

GlytchMeister wrote: I... Don't think this is all a flashback. That YA sketch didn't appear on the main site, did it? On a weekday update? Because if not, then the whole comic would be the flashback, Calendar Machine Arc and all.
That'd be an awesome way to end the comic, though. Atsali, putting down her pen, looks back through the pages of her sketchbook... and promptly tosses it in the trash.

"Nah, no one'd believe that."
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

jwhouk wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote: I... Don't think this is all a flashback. That YA sketch didn't appear on the main site, did it? On a weekday update? Because if not, then the whole comic would be the flashback, Calendar Machine Arc and all.
That'd be an awesome way to end the comic, though. Atsali, putting down her pen, looks back through the pages of her sketchbook... and promptly tosses it in the trash.

"Nah, no one'd believe that."
Noooo, the comic must not end! Zap! was conveniently replaced by Wilde Life, but Wapsi is my top comic! It's even my favorite over Flaky Pastry, and that was the first webcomic I ever found! Wapsi is irreplaceable... :cry:

(I mean, yeah, it has to end at some point... And unless things go horribly wrong for me, I'm probably going to outlive Paul... But still. I don't like this fact.)
I'm too much!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:The Young Adult Author thing came from a sketch Paul did about... oh geez, I'd have to look... July of 2014? The backstory was that this was what she'd look like at age 21. Basically, it's scarf and John Lennon glasses. A bit later was a similarly time-advanced Castela showing her "rebellious" side.
Actually, i think that se was twenty-seven and Castela was seventeen, which is about ten years in the future. He also did a Castela at twenty-one.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

GlytchMeister wrote:Noooo, the comic must not end! Zap! was conveniently replaced by Wilde Life, but Wapsi is my top comic! It's even my favorite over Flaky Pastry, and that was the first webcomic I ever found! Wapsi is irreplaceable... :cry:
The great thing is Paul has said nothing (that I know of) about having an endgame planned for Wapsi. The way he has structured the story and cast since the calender machine was taken care of he could conceivably keep it going until he runs out of ideas.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

There are so many endgames for this comic, it's ridiculous.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

On 2014-07-22, kingklash wrote:Become a successful YA author, of course.
Aside from that, I haven't found a link.
AnotherFairportfan

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

GlytchMeister wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote: Word of God, we do. We are seeing the backstory on how she became an award-winning YA author.
I... Don't think this is all a flashback. That YA sketch didn't appear on the main site, did it? On a weekday update? Because if not, then the whole comic would be the flashback, Calendar Machine Arc and all.
It was on Pablo's FB page a few months back. He did verify that it's canon, or will be.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

GlytchMeister wrote:I use Tails when I really wanna hide from NSA. That usually occurs when I'm researching stuff for a book I'm writing that, when viewed from the outside without that context, makes me look like a friggin terrorist wannabe.
You write for Steve Jackson Games? :twisted:
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Warrl wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:I use Tails when I really wanna hide from NSA. That usually occurs when I'm researching stuff for a book I'm writing that, when viewed from the outside without that context, makes me look like a friggin terrorist wannabe.
Humm, they control the servers, the links basicly the whole internet and a single program called tails is going to make you invisible from the NSA??? Come sit down over here i got a bridge in Brooklyn and some beach front property in Arizona i wanna tell you about bud. I do take cash only and in small non-sequential bills.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

oldmanmickey wrote:
Warrl wrote:
Humm, they control the servers, the links basicly the whole internet and a single program called tails is going to make you invisible from the NSA??? Come sit down over here i got a bridge in Brooklyn and some beach front property in Arizona i wanna tell you about bud. I do take cash only and in small non-sequential bills.
It certainly helps. I realize if they were actively looking for me, they could find me in a jiffy, even if I was using Tails (which is an OS, not just a single program, but anyway). I just like my privacy and I don't fancy being served a warrant for a search and seizure (is that the right word? I'm not talking about the epileptic kind) because I keep looking up suspicious stuff. And I really really don't want to pay for those court fees. Nor do I have time for that.
Tails is pretty much the best option I have available for that while still being able to actually use the Internet. It's free, legal to use, and doesn't break my computer.
I'm too much!
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote:It certainly helps. I realize if they were actively looking for me, they could find me in a jiffy, even if I was using Tails (which is an OS, not just a single program, but anyway). I just like my privacy and I don't fancy being served a warrant for a search and seizure (is that the right word? I'm not talking about the epileptic kind) because I keep looking up suspicious stuff. And I really really don't want to pay for those court fees. Nor do I have time for that.
Tails is pretty much the best option I have available for that while still being able to actually use the Internet. It's free, legal to use, and doesn't break my computer.
Technologically, you're not really going to be able to hide things from any government organisation that is serious about finding things out. You have to use more of a social engineering approach instead, making them not notice what's right in front of them.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

jwhouk wrote:1. It's not Safari.
2. If you have a Google account, you can sync stuff with your PC/laptop.
1. Unless Apple have changed their rules, yes it is :shock:
(assuming things haven't changed recently)

http://www.howtogeek.com/184283/why-thi ... -and-ipad/

tl:dr verson (emphasis mine)
Apple’s App Store policies state: “Apps that browse the web must use the iOS WebKit framework and WebKit Javascript.”

This means that web browsers can’t implement their own rendering engines; they must embed a version of Safari’s rendering engine. They can’t offer a faster rendering engine or new web features. In effect, each third-party browser on iOS is a different interface around Safari.
You'd still get the benefits of syncing with other google stuff, and iOS Chrome may do things differently to (better than) Safari, but apparently you cannot set Chrome (or any other third party browser) as the default browser .... and it gets even better ....

Apple force 3rd party browsers to be slower at surfing the web :twisted:
It’s even worse than it sounds. Third-party browsers aren’t just forced to use Safari’s rendering engine — they’re forced to use a slow JavaScript engine while only Safari can use a faster JavaScript engine. Specially, they’re forced to use the older, WebKit JavaScript engine while Apple’s new Nitro JavaScript engine is reserved for Safari alone.

This means that third-party browsers will always render web pages with JavaScript slower than Safari itself will. Apple will continue developing their Nitro JavaScript engine, and Safari will continue to get faster while third-party browsers will become even slower in comparison.

In effect, all third-party browsers aren’t just different versions of Safari — they’re all basically just slower versions of Safari.

*edit* I apologise for taking the thread back off topic :(
but I though it was important to reply
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
AnotherFairportfan

Yeah - tnat's the company Jobs built, that takes its ethics (or, rather, lack thereof) from him.