Across Calhoun 2015-04-23

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Thor

Re: Across Calhoun 2015-04-23

Post by Thor »

Mark N wrote:
KnightDelight wrote:
DilyV wrote:This whole thing had me running through all the links and I thought of Monica dumping Kevin. Mon got all indignant when she thought Bud had bedded him... then she turns around and dumps him for Georgette. We still don't know if Kev and Bud ever hooked up... For all we know, he's buried in a snow drift somewhere still ruminating about losing Monica. That whole episode didn't make much sense to me.
Yes, all that seemed to come out of left field with no foreshadowing whatsoever. No hint Monica would ever switch teams, even for a one night stand, let alone for a total relationship with another woman. I could see the experience leading to a fine friendship, but a sexual and long term relationship?
I have the feeling that when Monica was in Georgette's Demon-scape the incident with the Tar may have caused a sort of fusion between them that is causing something within each to need that kind of closeness. Remember. at the club they had some type of demon grappling between them not wanting to let go until the alcohol was dumped.
As to her treating Kevin like a sex toy, Kevin mentioned something close to that to Alan back in the beginning of the relationship and Alan just blew it off in a typical "so what is the problem?" sort of way. I don't know if that is what Paul was aiming at but its my thought. :ugeek:
When louisxiv gets done with the Wapsi Index, it will be trivial to call up all strips with Kevin or the mention of Kevin in them and see what kind of foreshadowing there was or wasn't.

Until that happens, I am not going to take the hours of research to present a thesis on the matter.

I will point out that the last time we saw Kevin and Monica together as a couple was at the ParanorMall, where she had just got done talking about not being able to keep a boyfriend, which was shown to be a fake-out by showing Kevin (for one panel) as happily tagging along. So was it a fake-out, foreshadowing, or both?
Akeche

Post by Akeche »

Thor wrote:
Mark N wrote:
I have the feeling that when Monica was in Georgette's Demon-scape the incident with the Tar may have caused a sort of fusion between them that is causing something within each to need that kind of closeness. Remember. at the club they had some type of demon grappling between them not wanting to let go until the alcohol was dumped.
As to her treating Kevin like a sex toy, Kevin mentioned something close to that to Alan back in the beginning of the relationship and Alan just blew it off in a typical "so what is the problem?" sort of way. I don't know if that is what Paul was aiming at but its my thought. :ugeek:
When louisxiv gets done with the Wapsi Index, it will be trivial to call up all strips with Kevin or the mention of Kevin in them and see what kind of foreshadowing there was or wasn't.

Until that happens, I am not going to take the hours of research to present a thesis on the matter.

I will point out that the last time we saw Kevin and Monica together as a couple was at the ParanorMall, where she had just got done talking about not being able to keep a boyfriend, which was shown to be a fake-out by showing Kevin (for one panel) as happily tagging along. So was it a fake-out, foreshadowing, or both?
Even if Alan mentioned something to that affect, they started dating... God it was how many years ago?

I think a lot of people might wonder why some, like myself, were... and still are upset about the whole thing. It's because Kevin's been around for a very long time. July of 2002, just shy of a year after the comic began. Hell while Tepoz was introduced a little bit before, he was more or less just an angry little booze-god instead of a character.

But yeah at the Mall, they seemed perfectly happy. We went from: Monica boning him hard and explaining everything that happened with the calender machine(this was during her pixie cut phase)>getting him in-the-know about her becoming a demi-god>Happy mall shopping>breaking up with you for a model. There was obviously stuff between some of that, but I think the point still stands.

Edit: The Wapsi Index seems decently in-depth. Oddly they have the latest stuff with Kevin, though not the mall strips. Anyway... Just looking over things. We see two dorky people meeting each other, basically having the same worries and concerns before they start dating. We then see what might be the most stable relationship I've ever seen in a comic.
Thor

Post by Thor »

Akeche wrote:Even if Alan mentioned something to that affect, they started dating... God it was how many years ago?
As we have discussed in the forums lately, asking how long ago something happened in Wapsi Time is an impossible question to answer. After all, during Winter Break, Atsali asked Goat-Boy out. That evening, he called to back out. Then sometime later, she met Jin at a coffee shop to talk about the pool incident, and then later that same day, she talked to Kath about it. But also in that same next day(???), Atsali tells Nadette that Jacob called her to cancel the date. We know it has to be the next day,because Jessie refers to Atsali's date as something that Atsali was looking forward to in the future, and since the date was supposed to happen the next day--"one o'clock tomorrow works for me"--there are no other possible days in which that event could have been yet to happen. And even though we are only in the next day (again?), we are now in Spring Break.

So in order for that timeline to work, it has to go like this: On the last day of Winter Break, Atsali asks Jacob out and wipes out the Mapimi site. The next day, the first day of Spring Break, she meets Jin for coffee, talks to her mom as her mom is closing down the computer for the night, goes out and meets with Berdine and Cricket, and then leaves Cricket behind so that Cricket can find Jessie and Krystle--all before one in the afternoon.

So it's entirely possible that Monica and Kevin were only together for a week and a half, and there's no reason to feel bad about them splitting up, given how time "works" in the Wapsiverse. :?
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Akeche wrote:The Wapsi Index seems decently in-depth. Oddly they have the latest stuff with Kevin, though not the mall strips.
That's one of the problems of doing in-depth indexing of an ongoing project. You either start at the beginning and index the current strips in order or you start on the archive and log the current stuff while it's still fresh on your mind.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Except Mr. Thor, sir, there might be a little more 'time' in there as Jessie might have known about an up coming date but (oops- Not) known it's intended appointed time nor (as we now find out) did she know of it's cancellation. Until recently.

In my defense against illiteracy and confusion I am currently typing this under the influence of Sierra Nevada Torpedoes...

PS- having just & actually for the first time, having read the text of said link I provided, I find it , um Pithy and Eloquent.
(why Yes, I am self-indulgently chuckling to myself. Why do you ask?...)
Thor

Post by Thor »

TazManiac wrote:Except Mr. Thor, sir, there might be a little more 'time' in there as Jessie might have known about an up coming date but (oops- Not) known it's intended appointed time nor (as we now find out) did she know of it's cancellation. Until recently.
Fair enough, but Jessie's brother did say that Jacob called him today, and Jacob told Atsali that he had just worked up the courage due to Atsali's example or something. So the gap couldn't have been too many days, even if Jessie was behind on the news. Especially considering that Atsali wouldn't wait very long before calling Nadette up for consultation on the topic. This still puts Winter Break and Spring Break easily within a week of each other, which still validates my point about Wapsi Time being something you can't really gauge properly unless it is specifically stated in the strip, and sometimes not even then.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

all in all, I 'gree and understand...
louisxiv

Post by louisxiv »

AmriloJim wrote:
Akeche wrote:The Wapsi Index seems decently in-depth. Oddly they have the latest stuff with Kevin, though not the mall strips.
That's one of the problems of doing in-depth indexing of an ongoing project. You either start at the beginning and index the current strips in order or you start on the archive and log the current stuff while it's still fresh on your mind.
This
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Mon Ami,

Ive only been in the index a time or two but I'm appreciative of your continued efforts...