The elixir

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Sgt. Howard

Re: The elixir

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Amazingly enough, nobody heard the noisy approach of the old Rabbi-
"Tell them! Tell them how you came to find this place! Tell them of who gave you directions and how you came here! You have sought redemption for two thousand years- only because YOU could not forgive yourself! HE forgave you! HE told you you were acting in ignorance! HE sent Peter to talk to you- but even THAT was not enough!!! HE has been looking over you ALL THIS TIME! HE even joked about you after his ressurection. WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED? WHAT MORE DOES ANYONE NEED?"
"I have always enjoyed you, Nicodemus- your bold honesty is indeed a breath of fresh air," Neil said, "... and you're right- my exile was self-inflicted... much like yours," he looked up into Phix's watering eyes, " and I think it's time to clear all issues... especially if we are to be married,"
"Please, Neil- you CAN'T go public with this- there are too many who will hate you, who will want to kill you... I am NOT going to loose you again..." Phix was beside herself with worry.

"You won't,"- Nudge stood firm, arms crossed.
Euryale sauntered up behind her- "Most certainly not,"
Bia addressed them from another direction, "Anyone who tries will have a problem"
Tsillah simply condensed in their midst, "You can count on that,"
"You see? You see what is here? WHO is here?" Nicodemus became quite animated as he directed his words at Phix, " I assure you, THIS is the tip of a VERY LARGE ICEBERG! These ladies, these same four who have questioned and challenged this man since he arrived, they now stand solid beside you to defend him! Why? Because he has proven time and again what he is made of and how much he loves you. EVEN NUDGE! SHE WHO WOULD NOT TRUST HIM!!! SHE was the FIRST to SPEAK!!! I stand for him now, even though I first told you to kill him and be done with it- yes, Neil those were my exact words... I was mistaken, may you forgive me... I knew what he was within hours of speaking to him. I knew what he had done within days of it happening. I also knew he was given no choice, and that what he did HAD TO HAPPEN!!!"
The Old Goat turned to Neil- "Yes, you need to speak of it. You have carried this burden too long. The insane thing is that you had no need to do so- had you simply told us back in Caesarea, we could have helped you through it... but that is not what it is, and at least we are here now. That will have to be good enough... now, Neil- TELL these people how you were directed to the Library HERE of all places,"
Neil looked at the many expectant faces, then at the Old Rabbi- "How... how could you POSSIBLY know about that?"
"You are a Christian- HE looks after you... I am a Hebrew- I am related to the BOSS- as such, I am privy to a great deal of what goes on,"
Neil digested this enough to chuckle and shake his head, then addressed the small crowd-
"I was on my way to Aberdeen when my car broke down. I got a tow to a place run by a half-blood Comanche- Brian, I think his name is. I walked the area while waiting. I saw a homeless man in the doorway of an abandoned factory. I ran back to my car and got my old issue cold-weather coat and some cash. I brought that back to him, got him into a fast food place and fed him, then looked up the local St. Vincent de Paul and walked him to it. On the way, he told me that the daughter of the man working on my car knows where Phix is- I had not even mentioned that my car was being worked on! When I asked him how he knew this, he looked at me funny and said, 'know what?'- When I got to my car again, Brian tells me that he has NO idea why it wasn't running, but it is in fine order now- it had to have been Yoshua, that's the only thing that even makes sense..."
There was only silence after that
Last edited by Sgt. Howard on Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Hmmmm... and there IS only silence after that...
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Now if the homeless man had been on a pogo stick, that would certainly have confirmed the supposition... 8-)
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:Now if the homeless man had been on a pogo stick, that would certainly have confirmed the supposition... 8-)
... I KNEW I forgot something...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Of course, If Neil pronounced it "Yah-SHOE-ah", he would get bonus points.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote:Of course, If Neil pronounced it "Yah-SHOE-ah", he would get bonus points.
THAT I had forgotten- good call
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

"You've met my Son?- and apparently my grand-daughter before you showed up here?" Phix asked.
"It's not like you two have spent a great deal of time in earnest conversation since he showed up," commented Shelly as she approached the cluster.
"WHA... EVERYBODY seems to be converging here... this is weird..." Phix blurted as she looked around at the small crowd.
"Weird? I'll show you weird," Shelly stated as she walked up to Phix and put her arm around the tall, pregnant teenager- "Hey everybody- THIS is my GRANDMOTHER! Her name is Phix! Yea now- THAT's weird!"
"Young lady... " Phix tried to suppress a giggle and sound stern, "... now that is quite enough..."
"Oh yea- HERE's the studmuffin that NAILED her!" she addressed Neil, "...does that make you my step-Grampa?"
Neil was trying not to laugh... poorly. Others had less inhibitions on the matter. Finally, Nicodemus gave a loud "HARRUMPH!!!" to gain everyone's attention-
"His crime is already noted- he will recieve a fair trial tomorrow and be sentenced to life without possibility of parole. You are all invited..."
"So you are Judge, Jury and executioner now?" Neil asked
"Judge and Jury- your WIFE will be the executioner in this matter..."
"... Am I allowed a defense?"
"I would plead insanity- the evidence is in your favor..."
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Just so you know, I figure you're on page 27 of this literary masterpiece that I'd call "The Sphinx and the Centurion".
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

jwhouk wrote:Just so you know, I figure you're on page 27 of this literary masterpiece that I'd call "The Sphinx and the Centurion".
For each page you are reading, there will be another four to five pages of flesh added to this skeleton- and I just might use that title, if you have no objections.
What you all are reading here is raw first draft- very little editing has been done.
Of course , your readership has been a remarkable inspiration, all of you.
Thank you.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Sgt. Howard wrote:For each page you are reading, there will be another four to five pages of flesh added to this skeleton- and I just might use that title, if you have no objections.
What you all are reading here is raw first draft- very little editing has been done.
Of course , your readership has been a remarkable inspiration, all of you.
Thank you.
*Gasp*

This... This is just a skeleton? A framework? (☼◡☼) SQUEE!
He's mister GlytchMeister, he's mister code
He's mister exploiter, he's mister ones and zeros
They call me GlytchMeister, whatever I touch
Starts to glitch in my clutch!
I'm too much!
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I have zero objections. The idea might be a ripoff of the movie with Richard Gere, but I'm definitely getting that phrase as a title.

Though in thinking, I might suggest reversing Sphinx and Centurion in the title.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

That sounds like a pretty good title to me. At least, so far. I don't know how the rest of the story is gonna turn out. Maybe the kid ends up a main character.
Hey, Sarge, you planning on getting this professionally published? Is that even a thing you can do legally? Or is there bad legal juju involved because you'd be making money using some characters and a universe that belong to someone else? I don't know if this counts as parody or whatever.

Damnit Jim, I'm an engineering student, not a lawyer!
I'm too much!
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

GlytchMeister wrote:That sounds like a pretty good title to me. At least, so far. I don't know how the rest of the story is gonna turn out. Maybe the kid ends up a main character.
Hey, Sarge, you planning on getting this professionally published? Is that even a thing you can do legally? Or is there bad legal juju involved because you'd be making money using some characters and a universe that belong to someone else? I don't know if this counts as parody or whatever.

Damnit Jim, I'm an engineering student, not a lawyer!
As it is, I would have to work out a deal with Paul- 50/50 royalties sort of a thing and that's IF he is receptive to the idea. I already have several copyrights to my name, short stories and music- nothing published... except some old printed cartoons. Several of those are political, but "Rebs" and "The Wizards of Maehyme" were printed in the NCWA Dispatch and the North Bay Herald, respectively (Civil War re-enactment and SCA)-

... my favorite Rebs- single frame, A Confederate major is face-to-face with a sleeping guard who is standing at (sort of) attention- he is clearly about to go ballistic, but a first Sgt, is at his elbow saying, "Afore y' Courts-Marshals him Suh, fands out how he DOES it..."
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

I googled up "The Sphinx and the Centurion" and found zip- ought to be clear. I was originally thinking of "I, Cornelius" but that is a rip-off of "I, Claudius"- "An eternity of War" was another consideration, but I didn't like that after some contemplation.

In his lifespans, Neil will encounter Jesus, Pontius Pilate, High Priest Annas, Herod, Nero,Constantine, Genghis Khan, Leonardo da Vinci, Christopher Columbus, Franco Pizzarro, Francis Drake, Blackbeard.... and up to Robert E. Lee, Abraham Lincoln, J.E.B. Stuart, the crews of the Hunley, Samuel Clemmens, John P.Holland, Teddy Rosevelt, Kaiser Willhelm, Karl Donitz, Adolf Hitler, Harry S. Truman, Dwight Eisenhower... his last rejuvenation prior to meeting back up with Phix would be 1974, and I that lifespan he fought in no war, met nobody of importance and basically was invisible to history.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

As another mentioned earlier, I'd reverse the order to "The Centurion and the Sphinx." There's so much of Neil's story told before Phix enters the tale.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

Sgt. Howard wrote:I googled up "The Sphinx and the Centurion" and found zip- ought to be clear. I was originally thinking of "I, Cornelius" but that is a rip-off of "I, Claudius"- "An eternity of War" was another consideration, but I didn't like that after some contemplation.

In his lifespans, Neil will encounter Jesus, Pontius Pilate, High Priest Annas, Herod, Nero,Constantine, Genghis Khan, Leonardo da Vinci, Christopher Columbus, Franco Pizzarro, Francis Drake, Blackbeard.... and up to Robert E. Lee, Abraham Lincoln, J.E.B. Stuart, the crews of the Hunley, Samuel Clemmens, John P.Holland, Teddy Rosevelt, Kaiser Willhelm, Karl Donitz, Adolf Hitler, Harry S. Truman, Dwight Eisenhower... his last rejuvenation prior to meeting back up with Phix would be 1974, and I that lifespan he fought in no war, met nobody of importance and basically was invisible to history.
I've long had the idea for a donut shop. Want to call it Karl's. Kept it shelved because I figure nobody would get it. Even with his photo on the wall.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

... that afternoon...
"Black magics in 16 gauge? Yea, it can be done, but it's gonna cost you," the old man told Nudge, "Whatdaya want 'em for?"
"Well, we're doing some open air theater, and we need the extra ... 'oomph'... from the shotgun," she replied.
"Huh- well, just remember your safety distance is fifteen feet- these things can kill at ten. What exactly are you doing with these?"
"Oh, just a single 'pop' in the air per showing- four should do it,"
"I will make five, that way you can do a live rehearsal- and I can make them 'hot' if you prefer,"
"Hot? how's that?"
"... well... as long as you are shooting straight up, I can stuff them to scare a boulder- but don't shoot anywhere near a window, the glass might shatter,"
Nudge's eyes brightened- "... really...?"

Bia found Nicodemus busy at work, studying a wedding ceremony from a pastor's hymnal of the 1840's- she approached him shyly. He noticed her from the corner of his eye-
"Ah, Kindre- shalom! What can I do for you?"
Rabbi, I have a question... but I'm not sure I should ask you- it might be none of my business,"
"It might- but ask anyway or I cannot tell you if it is,"
"Well... nobody here will talk about it... but I was wondering... what is there between... between you and ... and Nudge?"
"Hmmm- I can see why you would be hesitant... yet you walk up to me in the end, knowing that I take offence to her presence most of the time... it is not pleasant to me, but your courage ... well I am impressed," he eyed her with a cocked eyebrow- "... it is actually very simple- I am a Rabbi, a teacher, a learned one who studies the law. She is a Pan, a trickster, a Pooka, Coyote... she goes by a number of names in a number of societies and is basically a font of chaos, mayhem and anarchy. She and I are diametrically opposed, don't you see?"
"Oh... but she MEANS well..."
"Indeed? 'The ends justify the means', is that what you espouse? I assure you, she has caused more harm than good any day of the week- and yes, I fully understand it is her nature, that she cannot do much about it. I do not care to seek company with such a creature, it is that simple..."
"...but... you both... are ... well..."
"Goats? No, even there you are wrong- she is a sub-titan that presents anyway she sees fit- she is a shape-shifter, capable of being whatever she wants you to see... her most common form is what you have seen so far. I am always as you see me... perhaps with different robes or shawls, but other than that... I do not change. Does that answer your question?"
"I... I guess it does- thank you for your time, Nicodemus,"
"Anytime my Kindre- you are most entirely welcome,"

"Monica won't be there? I am disappointed," Phix said at the news.
"Apparently there are some people who she would rather not face at this time," Brandy commented- "There's been a bit too much gossip about her and 'Jet', she would just as soon not face it... but that DOES mean we are safe to invite Kevin, if you want,"
Phix considered- "He's a mortal, isn't he? What would he want with paranormal rubbed in his face after what happened?"
"Bud will be there..."
"OH!" Phix blurted out, "YOU are EVIL!!! ... what exactly are you thinking?" she asked with a devilish grin.
"Well... she knows NOTHING of modern wedding traditions..."

"I assure you guys, a 'Bachelor Party' is totally un-necessary! I have already been married more times than I can count, had more torrid affairs than you can dream of and am not the least bit interested in any fleshpot entertainment," Neil protested.
"Aw c'mon," Allan badgered him, "... we're just talking about the "Pink Poodle" on Bascome Avenue- EVERYBODY goes there,"
"Yea, well, my ID says I am 18- they serve hard booze, I gotta be 21. It won't work, I tell ya,"
"TRUST ME, I know a way around that,"
"... why am I suddenly afraid...? NO! Allan- I am not going. Period. If YOU need an excuse to go to a titty bar, you'll have to do better than that. Tell you what- invite Jin along and see if you don't have a good time,"
""...?... she'll get jealous as hell..."
"Not really- she knows you'll build a head of steam... you WILL be bringing it home... she is NOT stupid..."

"So, you going to be there, Jin?" Bud asked through a mouthful of bok choy.
"Well, DUH! Allan's going to be best man, of COURSE I am going to be there- what about you? ... I hear a rumor that... a certain... photographer... will be present..."
Bud stopped chewing her food... then resumed, trying to act as if it meant nothing to her, "Really...? I suppose you mean Kevin?"
"Well YEAH! And I don't think he's there to take pictures, either... "
"That might make things uncomfortable for Monica,"
"Oh- didn't you hear? SHE won't be there... suffering from 'Jet-lag', I imagine..."
Bud continued with her bok choy...
Last edited by Sgt. Howard on Sat May 02, 2015 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
GlytchMeister

Post by GlytchMeister »

Why is Monica being so shut in about Jet? Tina, Jin, and Bud already know their very souls desperately wanted to be together.
Kevin seemed to recover from the dump alright, judging by how he looked at the end of the bench scene with Bud.

What's up?
I'm too much!
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

Hansontoons wrote:I've long had the idea for a donut shop. Want to call it Karl's. Kept it shelved because I figure nobody would get it. Even with his photo on the wall.
Depends on where you'd open it. Here, I'd give you 18 months, because that's how long Krispy Kreme lasted here (Amarilloans love the local chain, Donut Stop). In certain neighborhoods of NYC, they'll have built you a commemorative oven within a week.
Last edited by AmriloJim on Fri May 01, 2015 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Also, there's no Bascome Avenue in the Twin Cities.