Such a Screw Up 2014-12-03

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Yamara

Re: Such a Screw Up 2014-12-03

Post by Yamara »

jwhouk wrote:And now, the REAL reason why I suggest this volume should be called "Holding Up A Mirror."

We've heard this before.
Indeed we have.
Dave wrote:
DilyV wrote:The question is, what will she do with the knowledge? What would any of us do with the understanding that now we have unlimited power to right the wrongs that have been done to us in the past? To make those who wronged us pay a horrible price. I think Monica has been too hard on herself, but you can see why. With great power comes great responsibility, or so the saying goes. I think Monica is finally beginning to realize that fact.
Her conundrum goes even a bit deeper than that, I think.. She really cannot "right the wrongs" in many cases. The man who raped her is long-dead and probably beyond any form of retribution. Much of Monica's sense of betrayal and abandonment comes from the actions of her family and friends... people who actually cared about her and who were trying their best to help her, people she does care about, and is now afraid of hurting further.
Calista has been unable to attract real friends, until maybe very recently. Monica is increasingly risking losing hers.

Calista needs to know she's not alone, and time to build self-confidence.

M needs to stop running. And she needs to put up one great big Festivus pole, and call a general meeting for an Airing of the Grievances.

Because while she may need time to heal alongside Jet, she can't allow herself to become a friendless supervillain in the process.
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Dave wrote:It's possible, maybe, that Monica's "through the Library portals" access, might include the Time Forest, or some other similar dimension with a reversed time-flow. However, that possibility is (I think) entirely Forum speculation rather than canon... I don't recall the subject ever having been raised, or broadly hinted at, in the strip itself.
I seem to recall Monica mentioning that time travel, to the past, was not possible. It was a passing mention, so LouisXIV's excellent project didn't help, yet. I'll do an archive trawl and see if I can find it...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

lake_wrangler wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:She also has acc ess to time travel as well so she could get her hands on him. In fact she may have actually done that.
Time travel? Where do we ever see that as a possibility?
Well if he can get bananas and Elvis's signature that pretty much makes Time Travel cannon doesnt it?
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

Jabberwonky wrote:I seem to recall Monica mentioning that time travel, to the past, was not possible. It was a passing mention, so LouisXIV's excellent project didn't help, yet. I'll do an archive trawl and see if I can find it...
i think that the comic you are looking for was BEFORE Shelly got stuck in the Time-Forest though... IF I'm remembering correctly that it... and if i AM, then that doesn't rule out entirely the possibility of time travel to the past...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Dave

Post by Dave »

oldmanmickey wrote:Well if he can get bananas and Elvis's signature that pretty much makes Time Travel cannon doesnt it?
Only in the same sense that we're all time travelers, traveling forwards in time. Tepoz could have simply have had the bananas and the signature in stasis for decades-to-centuries, and decided to pull them out to show off.

The only situation in which we've seen evidence of a person being able to "reach back" and affect her own past, was Shelly's time in the Time Forest... I think. That was an indirect intervention into her past life (via a past instance of Nudge). When Shelly left the Time Forest after 80,000 years of "backwards" time, she returned to the very instant in the main timeline that she had departed from. So, we don't have any cases of a person traveling back in time, and reappearing in the past version of the main timeline.
Last edited by Dave on Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

My recollection of Monica's comment should have had the caveat of how often she's been right about the supernatural. Which is only a little better than mine in guessing what's going to happen next in the strip.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

oldmanmickey wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:She also has acc ess to time travel as well so she could get her hands on him. In fact she may have actually done that.
Time travel? Where do we ever see that as a possibility?
Well if he can get bananas and Elvis's signature that pretty much makes Time Travel cannon doesnt it?
Only if you actually believe him...

He never went back in time, but wanted Monica to put the cloth portal away.

Besides, we already know that the portal leads to a current-day Egyptian fruit market...
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

lake_wrangler wrote:Besides, we already know that the portal leads to a current-day Egyptian fruit market...
Where Elvis works...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Dave wrote:It's possible, maybe, that Monica's "through the Library portals" access, might include the Time Forest, or some other similar dimension with a reversed time-flow. However, that possibility is (I think) entirely Forum speculation rather than canon... I don't recall the subject ever having been raised, or broadly hinted at, in the strip itself.
I seem to recall Monica mentioning that time travel, to the past, was not possible. It was a passing mention, so LouisXIV's excellent project didn't help, yet. I'll do an archive trawl and see if I can find it...
I can't find it at this time, but I seem to recall a discussion between Monica and Shelly, wherein Monica said that there is no such thing as time travel, so that any anachronistic-seeming artifact found anywhere would not have been planted from the future, but would be from a civilization that was already advanced at that time. Shelly answer had to do with a comparison about finding a handgun among the remains of chimps, or something to that effect.

Of course, that does not prove that there is no such thing as time travel, but merely that Monica thinks so. ;)
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Jabberwonky wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Besides, we already know that the portal leads to a current-day Egyptian fruit market...
Where Elvis works...
I get an error message about lacking permission to see that image on the server...

But a quick search on the internet brought up the image soon enough...
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
Where Elvis works...
I get an error message about lacking permission to see that image on the server...

But a quick search on the internet brought up the image soon enough...
Sigh. Wrong aspect ratio.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I think it's pretty much canon that Tepoz was leading Monica on about what the tapestry was for. The Egyptian Fruit Market Guy who emerged from Bud's torso trunk was voted "most likely to have forged the signature" back then, IIRC.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Yamara

Post by Yamara »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
I can't find it at this time, but I seem to recall a discussion between Monica and Shelly, wherein Monica said that there is no such thing as time travel, so that any anachronistic-seeming artifact found anywhere would not have been planted from the future, but would be from a civilization that was already advanced at that time. Shelly answer had to do with a comparison about finding a handgun among the remains of chimps, or something to that effect.

Of course, that does not prove that there is no such thing as time travel, but merely that Monica thinks so. ;)
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/anachronism/

It's just Monica's passing belief at the time. Shelly ultimately proved her wrong by being stuck in the Time Forest, but the time travel afforded by the Lanthian artifact was impractical as a challenge to paradox.

The Portal Cloth never allowed for time travel. Tepoz tried misdirection on Monica, which she saw through enough to decide that Tepoz knew less about the Aztecs than she did.

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/thesunstonewas/
PunPalsm the fastest way to pay the pun jar

Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Baal.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

I aint gonna argue the point. I guess its a matter of how we interpret what was written. Only Paul knows for sure and he aint saying, so far.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
illiad

Post by illiad »

well when the calendar reset, there was one who remembered what happened.. to the others, she would seem like a time traveller, but was just remembering events that were 'history' to her... :P
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

There haven't been any obvious examples of time travel so far, aside from the sort of traveling in time that we all do every day (which I suppose could be considered more traveling with time than through time). Instead, there have been characters who step out of the current time-stream and into another one that goes along a different path. The person is still stuck in a time-stream and can't change which direction they go in it, but the entire stream can be going in a different direction from other streams.

Sort of like being carried on a raft down a river that is going from west to east, and then getting out and switching over to a different river that is flowing east to west. You're never actually going upstream at any point, but if you were to go back to the first river it would give a similar result as would going upstream.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Well, yes, but the effect is time travel, backwards.

Instead of travelling into the future at a rate of 60 minutes per hour, Shelly and Connie, and presumably Phix and Nudge, were travelling into the past at a rate of 60 minutes per hour.

And we get the same paradox stuff, like when Shelly and Connie instructed Nudge on how to create Connie ...

... now imagine if Shelly had instructed Nudge to kill her grandfather, before he met Phix. 8-)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sidhekin wrote:Well, yes, but the effect is time travel, backwards.

Instead of travelling into the future at a rate of 60 minutes per hour, Shelly and Connie, and presumably Phix and Nudge, were travelling into the past at a rate of 60 minutes per hour.

And we get the same paradox stuff, like when Shelly and Connie instructed Nudge on how to create Connie ...

... now imagine if Shelly had instructed Nudge to kill her grandfather, before he met Phix. 8-)
Or various other sorts of "fiddling with history" tricks. Shelly was in a position to tamper with history... and apparently didn't do so.
illiad

Post by illiad »

remember it's not 'really' time travel, as in 'back to the future'... :P
They are not travelling to a previous time, and then going back to where they came from, finding things have changed...

If they make a change that has the 'wrong' outcome, they just wait until the calendar 'resets' back to the start, and try again later...:P
(there is NO connection between the cycles.. ) This is why Brandi has written it down, so she knows how to get it right *this* time :)
She wrote the book to tell *herself* what to do, in case it did not work...
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/doasisay/

If you mean "travelling into the past at a rate of 60 minutes per hour" in the timeforest, there is something you missed..
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/so-fragile/
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I've come to believe that the purpose of the Time Forest was the first attempt at keeping Demons out of our Universe. But May's little invention caused a hole to be formed in the middle of it all, putting a revolving door through Shelly and Monica. Shelly's door was closed with Connie and her exile to the forest, but Monica's had to be dealt with by destroying the Calendar Machine.

It sounded better in my head, though.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin