A bloody big new SD card from Sandisk

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Dave

Re: A bloody big new SD card from Sandisk

Post by Dave »

Heh. My first co-op project during college ('74 or so) was to help implement a small microprocessor-based document and form-entry system... a first-generation "word processor"... which used a 6800 CPU chip, and one of those big first-generation 8" floppies.

All of the normal operating code was in ROM. I think it had 1k byte of RAM (maybe 2k?). I had to write an auxiliary "setup" program for it, for which there was no room in ROM and far too little in RAM. I had to break up the program into about a hundred code "overlays" of no more than 256(?) bytes each, write one overlay to each sector on a program disk, and then swap code in and out of RAM on the fly (even doing "subroutine calls" between routines in different sectors, overlaying during the call and then again during the return). All in 6800 assembler. Good times... it rather amazed my co-op boss when he saw it working.

Terabyte hard drives? Half-terabyte SD cards? Friends, we are all incredibly spoiled these days! :D
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

I remember - back in the 80s, i think - some Highly Respected Financial Expert saying that there was absolutely no way the Dow Jones would ever break a thousand.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

But does it run DOOM? ;)
Aed wrote:I asked an engineer working on the project what the next size up in hard drive was and he opined that users would probably never fill up a 10 MB hard drive so there was no need for anything larger. :lol:
He don't know us very well, do he? :mrgreen:
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Heh - when i was working at AMI a forty-meg drive was huge and IDE drives were just becoming available.
earliest one i ever worked on was in high school, a PET 8032, some machines had the 5.25 Floppy drive and other had the cassette drive, and i don't remember if we had any that had a hard drive or not... at home my dad had a Commodore VIC20 and later upgraded to a C64...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
AnotherFairportfan

Hard drives were referred ta as "Winchester" drives - the disk controller cards we used at AMI in 1990 - 92 had the HD connector marked "Winchester".

The name was a nickname for the very first HDD, developed at, i think, IBM, which had two platters, each holding thirty meg.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

First PC i ever worked with didn't even have a keyboard, had 10 switches on the front and used machine code. Interesting thing though was the remotes we had at work (military) were touch screens. Of course this was back in the 70's
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Hard drives were referred ta as "Winchester" drives - the disk controller cards we used at AMI in 1990 - 92 had the HD connector marked "Winchester".

The name was a nickname for the very first HDD, developed at, i think, IBM, which had two platters, each holding thirty meg.
More than just two platters -- the IBM RAMAC!

Fun stuff back in the day... and now we sneer. Those who forget the past, etc.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Atomic wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Hard drives were referred ta as "Winchester" drives - the disk controller cards we used at AMI in 1990 - 92 had the HD connector marked "Winchester".

Too be fair only a group of us lived through even some of that (kids never even seen an Altair or an original Apple home computer) and most will not be taught about it without a college level intro to computers course (Assuming that they do a complete history of computers in it.)
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
AnotherFairportfan

Atomic wrote:

Ah - i remembered incorrectly. It was the development codename of the IBM 3340, which used two removable data modules, and was originally designed around 30 meg packs. "30-30", hence, Winchester.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

naaaa... yer actually remembering right, while the 30-30 was the source of the 'Winchester' code name, the later HDs were also ref'd to as Winchester drives...
AnotherFairportfan

TazManiac wrote:naaaa... yer actually remembering right, while the 30-30 was the source of the 'Winchester' code name, the later HDs were also ref'd to as Winchester drives...
That's what started this whole routine - i pointed out that disk controllers in 1990 - 92 when i was working at AMI had the connector for HDDs labeled "Winchester"
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
TazManiac wrote:naaaa... yer actually remembering right, while the 30-30 was the source of the 'Winchester' code name, the later HDs were also ref'd to as Winchester drives...
That's what started this whole routine - i pointed out that disk controllers in 1990 - 92 when i was working at AMI had the connector for HDDs labeled "Winchester"
Amazing what us old farts can remember about the before times. :geek:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Mark N wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Amazing what us old farts can remember about the before times. :geek:
Yeah, farming got a lot easier after those kids invented dirt...
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Not to mention having to carve all those electrons by hand, and THEN you had to use a little bitty funnel to get them in the wire. If you spilled any on the carpet (hard not to, really), you'd get a shock from walking and touching something metal.

I swear, the kids these days -- How little they know.

My Deviant Art scribbles
Dave

Post by Dave »

Atomic wrote:Not to mention having to carve all those electrons by hand, and THEN you had to use a little bitty funnel to get them in the wire. If you spilled any on the carpet (hard not to, really), you'd get a shock from walking and touching something metal.
You had a funnel? And a carpet? And metal?!?

Luxury. Why, when I was young, we had to bang the electrons out of the rocks (insulators, mind you) by hitting the rocks repeatedly with our heads. The only way we could get metal to make a conductor was to bleed ourselves, and then smelt the hemoglobin down to refine the iron out.

These days you just go down to Radio Shack (assuming they aren't bankrupt yet) and put it on your credit card. Decadent, is what it is. :(
AnotherFairportfan

You tell kids these days that and they won't believe you!"
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

Dave wrote:You had a funnel? And a carpet? And metal?!?

Luxury. Why, when I was young. . .
Psh, y'all had youth? Why, back when I wasn't a kid. . .

Anyway, I never even saw a computer until I was an adult, and didn't have one of my own until the late 1990's. So I got to miss out on most of the early glory days. Of course, in a few years kids will probably be listening in awe and horror to my tales of having to use a keyboard and mouse, or the arcane mysteries of DOS prompt commands.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Not DOS, CP/M...
AnotherFairportfan

TazManiac wrote:Not DOS, CP/M...
Huh. We had to enter the boot loader hex machine code with toggle switches to load programs with paper tape readers...

(Really - PDP-8 that Micromeritics built into some of their high-precision lab instruments in the early 1980s.)
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

That's right folks -- you had to manually set a row Octal switches, then press Load, (lather rinse repeat) for 8-10 steps or so, just to start the Boot process.

In other words, you had to manually install the code, one Register step at a time, to tell the computer where to find the startup instructions! Several minutes later (if you were lucky), it would respond to console commands, and your system was now ready for use.

And now you drum your fingers impatiently waiting for the login prompt. Hehehehehe.....

My Deviant Art scribbles