Wapsi Square Trivia Quiz

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

lake_wrangler

Re: Wapsi Square Trivia Qizz

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:Ahem. We still have an open question on the board:

"What was the only poem that we heard from Jin's book, Machine Before The Sunstone?"
I have now reached the Nudge-ectomy of Tina, and still can't seem to recall seeing a poem from that book. I did see one comic where Monica states a concept she read from the book, but it was not in poem form... I must have read it without realizing it, because I don't recall Monica reading from that book again later...

scantrontb wrote:personally, i wouldn't consider her part of a "team" in the flashback. she seems to be a student at that point in time and students are never given credit during the write up as even existing, it's all about "The Doctor found This" or "The Doctor did that", etc, etc. students are the slave labor of the archeological world and i don't think they are even considered as a "Teammate" because that would imply they have value other than grunt labor... it isn't until they go to post-grad digs and such and that they are the ones in charge of OTHER students that they are part of a team, then later when they are "The Doctor" then they graduate to the Team LEADER...
Well, that makes sense, somewhat...

I suppose we can let that one slide... ;)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

lake_wrangler wrote:
jwhouk wrote:Ahem. We still have an open question on the board:

"What was the only poem that we heard from Jin's book, Machine Before The Sunstone?"
I have now reached the Nudge-ectomy of Tina, and still can't seem to recall seeing a poem from that book. I did see one comic where Monica states a concept she read from the book, but it was not in poem form... I must have read it without realizing it, because I don't recall Monica reading from that book again later...
You missed it. It happened before they fixed the Calendar Machine.

Hint number 3: Go back about 20 months.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Aed

Post by Aed »

While we are told that Jin's book is all poems to help her remember her mother's teachings, I haven't found a direct translation of any of the poems. Near the beginning of the story arc dealing with retrieving the second portal cloth, Monica says "In Jin's book there's a riddle about whoever has both ends of the passage, controls the calendar." Unfortunately, this passage only satisfies two of the three hints that we've been given so while it may technically be an answer, it is probably not the answer that jwhouk has in mind.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

You know, ladies and gentlemen, it's in really bad form to answer your own trivia question.

In the dreams of children
Magic runs wild,
And the monsters around
Are brought by the child.

EDIT: Grumbles as he tries to find another trivia question...

EDIT 2: Okay, here we go - Who did Monica accidentally spill coffee on at a convention?
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Aed

Post by Aed »

jwhouk wrote:You know, ladies and gentlemen, it's in really bad form to answer your own trivia question.

Magic runs wild,
And the monsters around

EDIT 2: Okay, here we go - Who did Monica accidentally spill coffee on at a convention?
A: James Randi
Aed

Q: What is Daren's phobia?

Post by Aed »

Q: What is Daren's phobia?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

A: ... Nah, I'm gonna let someone else take this one.
lake_wrangler

Re: Q: What is Daren's phobia?

Post by lake_wrangler »

Aed wrote:Q: What is Daren's phobia?
Bananas. Which is why he never invited Shelly's band to play at his bar, because of their name. He tells Monica this when she goes back for the first time in quite a while (and he sells her a rather expensive liquor, to "make up for lost time"), and she wants to know more about him as a person. (I'll have to find the link later, but I know I just read it today.)

[Edit: found the link: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/about-you-2/ ]

jwhouk wrote:You know, ladies and gentlemen, it's in really bad form to answer your own trivia question.

Magic runs wild,
And the monsters around

Are you sure that comes from the book? On the next comic, she says that Mayahuel told her that. (Which is probably why I didn't associate the poem with the question you were asking...)

Here's the next question:

What is the name of the company that gave a case of wine to Amanda, to use as desired to promote their company?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

lake_wrangler wrote: In the dreams of children
Magic runs wild,
And the monsters around

Are you sure that comes from the book? On the next comic, she says that Mayahuel told her that. (Which is probably why I didn't associate the poem with the question you were asking...)
At the time, Monica didn't want to spring her little "issues" with May and Jin on Katherine. She was quoting from the book, though.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote:At the time, Monica didn't want to spring her little "issues" with May and Jin on Katherine. She was quoting from the book, though.
While that is possible, it was never stated explicitly, which is why I didn't make the association. The only "cover-up" I saw, was that she stopped herself mid-sentence, when saying who told her that, and changed to Mayahuel. I am presuming she was going to say my abuela, or my abuelita, then corrected herself, knowing now that May was not, in fact, her grandmother or her great-grandmother.

By that time, Katherine had already been partially introduced to the paranormal, via Tepoz, poiting, and the portal cloth. I don't think it would have mattered much, for Monica to say that she "read it in a book"... So I would tend to take her statement at face value.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

lake_wrangler wrote:EDIT: Gretching Over Details ( :P )

Here's the next question:

What is the name of the company that gave a case of wine to Amanda, to use as desired to promote their company?
Snobby Winery (Motto: If you're going to get drunk and fall off a billboard...)

What characteristic does Tepoz feel Daren has that Monica doesn't?

(Note: Edited for stupid finger syndrome)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
lake_wrangler

What characteristic does Tepoz feel Daren has that Monica do

Post by lake_wrangler »

Ha ha... I know the answer, but will let someone else have a go, because I'm SUCH a generous guy... :D

Actually, I just don't want to have to look up the link after having answered...
Jabberwonky

Re: What characteristic does Tepoz feel Daren has that Monic

Post by Jabberwonky »

lake_wrangler wrote:Ha ha... I know the answer, but will let someone else have a go, because I'm SUCH a generous guy... :D

Actually, I just don't want to have to look up the link after having answered...
:P
Aed

Wapsi Square Trivia Quiz

Post by Aed »

Jabberwonky wrote: What characteristic does Tepoz feel Daren has that Monica doesn't?
A: Tepoztcal thinks that Daren is a good listener.
Aed

Post by Aed »

Q: What phobia did Monica confide to Dietzel?
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Aed wrote:Q: What phobia did Monica confide to Dietzel?
Gah! I just finished reading the archives last night, and I can't even remember that!

And it only took me ... was it 3, or 4 days? I forget... I wasn't thinking all that clearly... (Which is not surprising, since I was home with a cold and an ear infection all week...)
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Evil Clowns... (make sure to click 'next' too)

What fear did Shelly confess to Jin?
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Evil Clowns... (make sure to click 'next' too)
Now that you mention it, I don't even have to go see the reference links to know... Dietzel did look kinda cute in a clown wig and makeup...

Jabberwonky wrote:What fear did Shelly confess to Jin?
I know that Shelly is afraid of spiders, but somehow, I get the feeling that's not what she confessed to Jin...

Sheesh... 3 to 4 days of reading the archives, and I can't remember most of the details... Good thing I only read it to occupy me while I was sick...
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

lake_wrangler wrote:Sheesh... 3 to 4 days of reading the archives, and I can't remember most of the details... Good thing I only read it to occupy me while I was sick...
Yeah, I've been able to answer all but one or two of the questions posted, but coming up with a question is hard...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Jabberwonky wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:Sheesh... 3 to 4 days of reading the archives, and I can't remember most of the details... Good thing I only read it to occupy me while I was sick...
Yeah, I've been able to answer all but one or two of the questions posted, but coming up with a question is hard...
Actually, that, I found, was the easy part... Go to the archives page, pick a year, pick a comic, see if there's some tidbit of info, some trivia, that might make a good question. Can't see any? Pick another comic, possibly even from another year...