Threw Me Away 2013-07-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Threw Me Away 2013-07-26

Post by Fairportfan »

Oh, man.

Nothing like being reminded that someone you like (no matter how mad and lashing out you are) is hurting worse than you are to snap you out of a tantrum unless you're completely evil.

But we see that Atsali is one of the Good Guys at heart.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Re: Threw Me Away 2013-07-26

Post by Fairportfan »

And, yes, she is actually cracking apart.

Poor little kid.

Wonder what she is?
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Fairportfan wrote:And, yes, she is actually cracking apart.
Not so much cracking as angry tendrils coming out. Image

Also, "Pickle". Image
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

shadowinthelight wrote:Also, "Pickle". Image
A shout-out to "Dill"-yV?
The pun jar should relish the donation of these Vlasic Sweet Gherkins.
pcj70

Post by pcj70 »

So glad that Atsali got over her snit fit, and acted like the big sister. Little pickle (be she adaimon,minotaur, or what not) girl is cute scary. I'm still hoping that kathy adopts them both.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Those are either tears, shadow type power, or blood. I feel really sorry for her if her power effects her like that. At her age it is clear she has NO control over whatever powers she has.

We now know that Sali's parents are dead which is marginally better than what happened to Pickle. Pickle is on really sad nickname to give a kid. I wonder which half-wit gave it to her.

I worry about that promise Sali just made. It could create all sorts of problems when Tsaillah, or Kathy, comes for Sali. That is an impossible choice to make for her. To leave pickle behind to rejoin Kathy, or stay for pickle. I doubt Kathy is quiet prepared to adopt both of them on short notice. She may want Sali but the surprise of pickle will make the whole situation a toss-up.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

shadowinthelight wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:And, yes, she is actually cracking apart.
Not so much cracking as angry tendrils coming out. Image

Also, "Pickle". Image
Look at the floor in the 1st frame. Not sure that those are tendrils, but if they are not then it isn't just Pickle that is cracking up. :shock:
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

zachariah wrote:Pickle is on really sad nickname to give a kid. I wonder which half-wit gave it to her.
Her parents?
I worry about that promise Sali just made. It could create all sorts of problems when Tsaillah, or Kathy, comes for Sali. That is an impossible choice to make for her. To leave pickle behind to rejoin Kathy, or stay for pickle. I doubt Kathy is quiet prepared to adopt both of them on short notice. She may want Sali but the surprise of pickle will make the whole situation a toss-up.
Atsali will keep her promise.

Katherine will load that on Tsillah, too.

Also - Bud is not gonna let a sad and traumatised little girl suffer alone.

Nor is Suzi McBride.

===========

OTOH, i am suddenly put in mind of Selina Kyle and her best friend in the orphanage when they were fourteen ... and that turned out very very ungood.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Oh dear. I wouldn't want to be around if/when either of these two finally get adopted.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Item one - do demons grow up with their assigned mortals?
Item two - are we sure Shelly is absolutely unique?
Item three - does Tina have any relatives?
Item four - does Atsali look younger than she did at the start of this adventure (check bust size)?
Item six - doesn't Pickel seem to have all the attributes of a personal demon? (Could dependency be considered a personal demon?)

This seemed easier than trying to put it all in sentences.
Atsali is a mortal after all, so personal demons are a possibility.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Well, if she is cracking up she can hold herself together with these:
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
illiad

Post by illiad »

I'm guessing pickle is a nickname...

Atsali can morph - so she can change most things!! :)
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

illiad wrote:I'm guessing pickle is a nickname...
At least Arlo Guthrie wrote a song about her!
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Timotheus wrote:Item one - do demons grow up with their assigned mortals?
Item two - are we sure Shelly is absolutely unique?
Item three - does Tina have any relatives?
Item four - does Atsali look younger than she did at the start of this adventure (check bust size)?
Item six - doesn't Pickel seem to have all the attributes of a personal demon? (Could dependency be considered a personal demon?)

This seemed easier than trying to put it all in sentences.
Item One - No. Demons are immortal. Once their time is done they move on to another.
Item Two - Yes. All other hybrids do not get the full benifit Shelly got. It took including Bia's genes to make it work.
Item Three - Only the human body she is using. But since the original spirit of it is gone technically no.
Item Four - Yes. But she can shift change so doesn't matter.
Item Six - No. A personal demon is there to manipulate and harass it's owner. Typically like doubt, fear, vanity, etc. What kind of emotional context would pickle represent in that grouping. Not sure what she is but not a demon.
donoho

Post by donoho »

Awww, poor Pickle. I wonder if the cracking, tendril-tears hurt. They look like they hurt. :(
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

zachariah wrote:Those are either tears, shadow type power, or blood. I feel really sorry for her if her power effects her like that. At her age it is clear she has NO control over whatever powers she has.

We now know that Sali's parents are dead which is marginally better than what happened to Pickle. Pickle is on really sad nickname to give a kid. I wonder which half-wit gave it to her.

I wouldn't say half-wit. Usually nicknames are terms of endearment that have personal meanings that make no sense to anyone outside of the inner circle. I personally think it's cute.

For example(and oddly enough, same nickname), my son got called "Pickle" by a family friend when he was little because he is rather fond of english cucumbers, but was unable to say the word. A friend of the family taught him "Pickle" because it was easier to say than cucumber. As a result, he'd always badger her during visits with requests for pickles. She moved away for a while, and recently returned to the area. First thing he says to her after a greeting? "Can I have a pickle?"
Folks would think he was unlucky whenever she'd call him "Pickle", not realising the real reason behind the nickname.

So does that make my friend a half-wit for calling him "Pickle"? For that matter, am I one for calling my son "Jellybean"?
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

DinkyInky wrote:
zachariah wrote: We now know that Sali's parents are dead which is marginally better than what happened to Pickle. Pickle is on really sad nickname to give a kid. I wonder which half-wit gave it to her.
I wouldn't say half-wit. Usually nicknames are terms of endearment that have personal meanings that make no sense to anyone outside of the inner circle. I personally think it's cute.

For example(and oddly enough, same nickname), my son got called "Pickle" by a family friend when he was little because he is rather fond of english cucumbers, but was unable to say the word. A friend of the family taught him "Pickle" because it was easier to say than cucumber. As a result, he'd always badger her during visits with requests for pickles. She moved away for a while, and recently returned to the area. First thing he says to her after a greeting? "Can I have a pickle?"
Folks would think he was unlucky whenever she'd call him "Pickle", not realising the real reason behind the nickname.

So does that make my friend a half-wit for calling him "Pickle"? For that matter, am I one for calling my son "Jellybean"?
That depends on how many problems the nickname causes when the kids grow up. My daughter thought her nickname was wonderful until fourth grade. Then all the other kids started teasing her about it pretty badly. To this day I am not allowed to use it because of the memories it brings back to her. So yes I do feel like a half-wit for putting her through that even though I helped her cope with it. Unintended consequences really need to be considered before you do things that may last a long time.
pcj70

Post by pcj70 »

I think Pickle is a cute nickname. As for the bullying, everything and anything can be made ugly and mean, no mater how hard one tries to limit excuses such behavior - for cruelty, stupidity and Sadism will find a way, if allowed to prevail.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

zachariah wrote:
Timotheus wrote:Item two - are we sure Shelly is absolutely unique?

Item Two - Yes. All other hybrids do not get the full benifit Shelly got. It took including Bia's genes to make it work.
Item Six - No. A personal demon is there to manipulate and harass it's owner. Typically like doubt, fear, vanity, etc. What kind of emotional context would pickle represent in that grouping. Not sure what she is but not a demon.
Item Two: Shelly has seven brothers. Bia told us males of Phix's species (like Shelly's father) don't shape change, but that still leaves seven half-Titans as yet presumably unaware of their nature ...
Item Six: I could easily see Pickle manipulating and harassing Atsali, as her personal demon, Dependency. It is easier to see her as a dependent, though. A fellow orphan. For one thing, because few people have such close relations with their demons as Monica, Jin, and arguably Shelly.

Apropos Monica, Jin, Shelly ... it's not just mortals who have personal demons. Part-mortal origin seems sufficient.
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Julie

Post by Julie »

Can I join in on their hug? Because I totally feel like I need one as much as they do after reading today's page. :cry: Poor Pickle...
zachariah wrote:Pickle is one really sad nickname to give a kid. I wonder which half-wit gave it to her.
I was wondering if it's her real name or just an endearment (I have heard people call younger loved ones "pickle" before). If it's her real name (or even a nickname given to her by the others at the orphanage) that's just plain unfortunate and wrong...
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."