Threw Me Away 2013-07-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
LittleOne

Re: Threw Me Away 2013-07-26

Post by LittleOne »

Wow, it's almost like our little cute Pickle cries barbed wire. That must be a painful experience at best..
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

"Pickle" is a "bad situation". The little horned one is apparently in a dilly of one. So the nick name is extremely relevant, and a tad mean at the same time. People tend to tease people they care for.
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/pickle
Better not promise things you may not be able to keep, Atsali. What a potential mess.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Avenger_Reloaded

Post by Avenger_Reloaded »

LittleOne wrote:Wow, it's almost like our little cute Pickle cries barbed wire. That must be a painful experience at best..
Holy Silent Hill Batman!
Myths which are believed in tend to become true. -George Orwell
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

AmriloJim wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:Also, "Pickle". Image
A shout-out to "Dill"-yV?
The pun jar should relish the donation of these Vlasic Sweet Gherkins.
This presumes facts not in evidence, but if Paul so wishes to honor me in this manner, I'll take it!!! LOL
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

...aaaaaaand Atsali's freckles are back.... Could it be that emotional stress might have a factor in her freckles showing or not showing?

As far as pickle goes, it appears we are seeing cracks... and blood... AND tendrils. Pickle could also most likely a nickname derived from her skin color... (a green Night Crawler?) I'm curious as to what kind of being she is.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Thanks, Paul - heartstrings getting plucked big-time now. And a weekend to consider what we're seeing here, and meditate on what may be coming for Atsali and Pickle, and the rest of the Wapsi-verse as well.

Good day, everyone...
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

donoho wrote:Awww, poor Pickle. I wonder if the cracking, tendril-tears hurt. They look like they hurt. :(
Tears always hurt.

Even dry, internal ones, the kind Atsali was crying.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Pickle's a good kid. I hope she goes with Atsali, or gets a family ofher own.

I wonder if she was born to "Normal" parents, and having a Mythic child is what caused them to send her away?
illiad

Post by illiad »

pickle could well be an endearment - could be she was getting a reputation for eating pickles!! :D or could even be that most 'inmates' hate the taste of pickles, so they challenged her to eat a whole can-full!! they did not believe a girl could eat so many.... :P :) :lol:

My sister used to be called 'smelly' by her mates.. no, she was always the one trying on lots of perfumes!!! :D :D
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Since she began Pre-K last year, Natalie has decided that she is no longer "Vellie" ... which was short for "Velcro Baby", because she clung so close to Helen.

(Maggie is lucky she didn't get nicknamed "Brad" - when she was still crawling, they often called her "Bradley Baby" after the way she would work doggedly to overcome any obstacle - Steve drove a Bradley in Iraq*, so he was familiar with the phenomenon.)

===========

* ... and ran over an illegally-parked Mustang in training one dark night...
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

pcj70 wrote:I think Pickle is a cute nickname. As for the bullying, everything and anything can be made ugly and mean, no mater how hard one tries to limit excuses such behavior - for cruelty, stupidity and Sadism will find a way, if allowed to prevail.
Many, if not all, last names can be made hurtful--and those are harder to change. Unfortunately, kids, like other humans, are not always very humane.
Jerry Lewis

Post by Jerry Lewis »

"Pickle" may be cute, but that doesn't make her any less terrifying when she's upset. I wonder if she is demonstrating some of the traits that led her parents to abandon her.
sheik

Post by sheik »

Referring to Panel 2; Are Pickle's horns translucent?
It would be interesting if Pickle's appearance is a direct result of her emotional state. Perhaps the shadow barbed wire IS pain.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Three thoughts:
  1. Well, this is a pretty Pickle.
  2. "I need to make a difference! [...] I will matter!" To whom?
  3. "[...] making a connection of two lost souls [...]" Which two?
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Pickle shatters. Tendrils of hurt, black and glistening, snake out from eyes dark as obsidian, writhe out from feet planted unmoving on the floor. Rage, pain, betrayal, emotions made physical whip around, searching for something soft to lacerate, to share the agony, to find company in any way it can.

Tears are a manifestation of inward distress that we're accustomed to. In the mythos, I would guess those manifestations can take on new and frightening forms. In this view behind the veil, we get to see some of that ourselves.

The weekend is going to seem longer than it really is, I'm afraid. Can't wait for Monday...

:(
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
donoho

Post by donoho »

Fairportfan wrote:
donoho wrote:Awww, poor Pickle. I wonder if the cracking, tendril-tears hurt. They look like they hurt. :(
Tears always hurt.

Even dry, internal ones, the kind Atsali was crying.
As a major weeper I'm going to disagree.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

:cry: Love the last panel. That does look as though 'Pickle' is crying barb wire,that or "jagger bushes".
Atsali is doing some growing right now. I sure hope Kath gets to find Asali - and Friend - soon.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Jerry Lewis wrote:"Pickle" may be cute, but that doesn't make her any less terrifying when she's upset. I wonder if she is demonstrating some of the traits that led her parents to abandon her.
That is possible. But that is no excuse for doing so. It is hard not to judge them for doing such a thing but unless we know why they did all we can do is feel sorry for Pickle.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

kingklash wrote:Pickle's a good kid. I hope she goes with Atsali, or gets a family ofher own.

I wonder if she was born to "Normal" parents, and having a Mythic child is what caused them to send her away?
Makes me think - do Changelings still happen in modern-day Wapsi world? Fae or Paranormal parents swap their baby for a mortal at an incautious moment....The Mortal parents, confused and appalled by their new 'special needs' child, place her with the State, who has 'connections' to 'special' orphanages.....

I hope this isn't Pickles' scenario; it would mean having been given up by TWO SETS of parents..... :cry:
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
pcj70

Post by pcj70 »

zachariah wrote:
Jerry Lewis wrote:"Pickle" may be cute, but that doesn't make her any less terrifying when she's upset. I wonder if she is demonstrating some of the traits that led her parents to abandon her.
That is possible. But that is no excuse for doing so. It is hard not to judge them for doing such a thing but unless we know why they did all we can do is feel sorry for Pickle.
I do see what your saying. She is a cute kid - but i must say i did not know what was going on - had no Idea or support - and had a hungry newborn baby shooting barbwire, I'd be terrified - not just for me but for the baby, and if the wrong person offered "help", well... eep. Could be a problem with the MIB, or some such keeper of the masquerade "suggesting" (read a lot of intimidation) that the normals give up the child, could be a play as well. But non the less Pickle has my sympathy -her parents do not, until their proven not guilty of jurkhood.