The Only Way Out 2013-06-04

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Re: The Only Way Out 2013-06-04

Post by TheDOCTOR »

You know if Atsali CAN keep the Info, eliminate the crazy, all she needs are some
'really-cool Nerd-girl' glasses and she would be 'Uber-HOT'! She could have all kindsa boyfriends. Add to it the Siren-song, YIKES. ;)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fairportfan wrote:One hopes she doesn't wind up like Donna Noble...
Or worse. We don't yet whether the Etheitians are little-endian or big-endian, let alone whether they are now running a register- or stack-based architecture. If they're a mixed bag, Atsali could suffer a mind-crash and go insane on a moment's notice. Even a memory erasure might not be enough to save her.

On the other hand, if she's lucky, they'll all be operating in RPN, and soon like Yoda speaking she shall be.
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

You know, I'm really glad this isn't Friday. Everyones theories are interesting and I have nothing to add other than this feels like the spiked ceiling descending down in The Temple of Doom.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Sphinx-Napped

Post by Sphinx-Napped »

i think astial is something more then just a info dumped into her i think she may actually "Have the entire races memories now" since they was blended
Punjar repair man, that recently up graded the pun jar to 2.0 now with self defense and and evil ai that will try to kill you, if you even try to hurt it for doing its job...
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Impending doom aside, I do have to show my appreciation to the design of the 'self destruct' and of the structure in general.

It's like the builders read The Evil Overlord List and took notice of just about all the ones referring to building/structure/evil lair design :D .

If it wasn't for the plucky comedic sidekick doing something really unexpected^, neither her nor the hero would have any idea that a self destruct had been started, and having the only exit destroyed as the first visible sign something might be really wrong is icing on the cake.

^ as Douglas Adams wrote in Mostly Harmless, "a common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Could be the other way 'round. Not that Baby Bird might not handle all those combined minds in her head, but whether or not those minds can handle being in Atsali's brain.
liquidschwartz

Post by liquidschwartz »

Something tells me that the upcoming radiation is not a bad thing. It's a clue as to another way out.

Then again, I'd like my very own glow-in-the-dark Atsali.
Dave

Post by Dave »

liquidschwartz wrote:Something tells me that the upcoming radiation is not a bad thing. It's a clue as to another way out.

Then again, I'd like my very own glow-in-the-dark Atsali.
It's now possible to equip a 3D printer with a supply of glow-in-the-dark PLA (polylactic acid) printing plastic, and "print" a 3D structure which fluoresces under UV and glows in the dark.

So, all we'd really need is for Paul to work up a complete 3D CAD/CAM model of Atsali :-)

(If he were to do so, he should of course get the profits from manufacturing 3D glow-in-the-dark overenthusiastic young Sirens ;) )
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Half the profits, split with the manufacturer. I can't see anyone doing it for Free (as in Beer).
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Now remembering my Ma's copy of Louis L'amour's interdimensional Anasazi story "The Haunted Mesa", and the first few books of the Amber series, I have a question: Is it possible to either redraw the door to smooth out the cracks, or draw up a new one on a more solid portion of the wall?
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

kingklash wrote:Is it possible to either redraw the door to smooth out the cracks, or draw up a new one on a more solid portion of the wall?
Maybe, but drawing a door didn't work out too well for Barbara & Adam. ;)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I wonder how much they would be willing to part with for a purple crayon right about now.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

MerchManDan wrote:Hm.
So, here we have our heroines facing certain death with no escape. This seems eerily similar to the way(s) Mon discovered she's the Jaguar Woman. Could this incident force Kath into the role of Spider Woman? Could she save the day by having her evolution fast-tracked in this dramatic fashion?
HOLY SMOKE ON THE WATER!! :shock: I just remembered that Shelly ALSO died of radiation poisoning before returning as a sphinx!! Could this be a running theme?
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Dave

Post by Dave »

MerchManDan wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:Hm.
So, here we have our heroines facing certain death with no escape. This seems eerily similar to the way(s) Mon discovered she's the Jaguar Woman. Could this incident force Kath into the role of Spider Woman? Could she save the day by having her evolution fast-tracked in this dramatic fashion?
HOLY SMOKE ON THE WATER!! :shock: I just remembered that Shelly ALSO died of radiation poisoning before returning as a sphinx!! Could this be a running theme?
Well, remember that the Shelly who died of radiation poisoning was "Shelly 1" (from the first iteration of the time loop, whom we'd never actually seen before) and she didn't return. She was dead, and stayed dead... if daisies grow in the Time Forest, she's probably pushing 'em up now (if "now" has any meaning in that context). The Shelly who returned (as a sphinx) was "Shelly 57", or "our Shelly", from the final iteration of the loop, and she hadn't ever died.

Death of a character is not necessarily a renewal.

Now, facing death is another question entirely... and we've certainly seen Katherine show us some strengths we've never seen before, as a result of the chaotic near-death ride she's had in her Adventure. Possibly she'll look upwards, shout "OK, Taylor, enough!!" and an eraser will come down and remove part of the stone wall ;)
ShirouZhiwu

Post by ShirouZhiwu »

Never trust anything that a Loony person tells you. Regardless of whether they intend on being trust worthy or not, they can't tell the difference. If Kath doesn't unleash with a poiting ability, I'm thinking Brandi or other MIB will pop in.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

*sings* Leo G. Carroll,
was over a barrel,
when Tarantula took to the hills!!!!

heh...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Dave wrote:Well, remember that the Shelly who died of radiation poisoning was "Shelly 1" (from the first iteration of the time loop, whom we'd never actually seen before) and she didn't return. She was dead, and stayed dead... if daisies grow in the Time Forest, she's probably pushing 'em up now (if "now" has any meaning in that context). The Shelly who returned (as a sphinx) was "Shelly 57", or "our Shelly", from the final iteration of the loop, and she hadn't ever died.

Death of a character is not necessarily a renewal.
Very true. I just thought some parallels had been drawn, is all.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

DilyV wrote:*sings* Leo G. Carroll,
was over a barrel,
when Tarantula took to the hills!!!!

heh...
When i was in London for Fairport's 1990 Cropredy Festival, there was a revival of Rocky Horror playing. I wish i'd had a chance to see it; i saw that Ade Edmondson was in it (He played Vyvyan Basterd, the punk med student, in The Young Ones):

I assumed he played Riff Raff.

Nope - Brad (?!?)

Many years later, i discovered that another actor i had come to know very well (and, i'm sure most or all of you did, too) in later years was also in that cast. Here's his version of one of the main songs ... and below is the cover of the single (Note that i have blurred out his name. Do you recognise him, or his voice?)

(Click here or on the image for an un-blurred version of the pic.)

=============

EDIT: Fixed link to MP3
Last edited by Fairportfan on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dave

Post by Dave »

You have just weirded out my image of G**** just as much as a certain song about cyan oculars did to various characters of that show's cast. :lol:
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Did you guess, or did you have to look?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber