Human Slide Rule 2013-04-19

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Wdot

Re: Human Slide Rule 2013-04-19

Post by Wdot »

Well it depends on a few things. How old are the beings who raised Atsali? I still use the term "ice box" for refrigerator and I've never seen one. I use the term "tape" yet there is no more "tape" in record. Some terms endure. Maybe she reads a lot of old time science fiction.
I was thinking maybe Bud, because she is a part of the MIB. Of course it is nothing more than wild speculation. I don't mind more characters if they are interesting.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

zachariah wrote:
Atomic wrote:
jwhouk wrote:If you don't know who Roy is, SHAME ON YOU.
And for those avoiding shame: Roy
I don't think you can really say Shame On You for not knowing a name used once in the second strip. Not everyone follows to that detail. Nor should they have to. Anyway the Roy could be someone else, Whoope-Tie-Ya MF, is an obvious leap for some people to make. Ddn't Scoobie-do use Roy a lot too!
Now that's another good one! My reference was for Matthew Quigley when crazy Cora called him Roy. And I'm really wondering how old most the folks are that frequent this forum, what with all the memories of slide rules (I have a circular still in my possession), early MTV (first time I saw it was in a bar in San Antonio Tx, I was mesmerized!), TV cowboys (I liked The Cisco Kid), and such. But then age can be irrelevant as it's what's in the heart and mind that really counts in my opinion.

And I admit to not knowing/remembering who Roy is! It's been a very long time since I've read that far back in the story. And on top of that my CRS has been acting up a lot here lately so I prolly wouldn't have remembered anyways! My theory on that is that after a certain point your brain gets full so stuff either gets deleted or doesn't stick due to lack of storage room.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Jabberwonky wrote:Hell, I'm old enough to remember when MTV used to play music... ;)
Sad to say that a case may be made that MTV never played music. Depends on who is making the point. Since it tries to set the music trends it is always playing what it thinks is hot, or going to be hot. Then it calls everything else ether classic or oldies.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Yeah, MTV lost it's shine, to me, when it was too obvious that they were trying to set what was cool instead of presenting everything to you to let you decide.
As a friend once noted, "Anything that spend that much time reminding you how cool it is ain't that cool."

@Hansontoons - The Cisco Kid used to be an after school ritual with me. :P
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
illiad

Post by illiad »

Jabberwonky wrote:Yeah, MTV lost it's shine, to me, when it was too obvious that they were trying to set what was cool instead of presenting everything to you to let you decide.
yeah... remember the 'ray cokes' show??? good 'off the wall' fun... until he started hinting that change was coming, the 'suits' wanted to make it 'more respectable'.... :(

Hansontoons, zachariah, Atomic, jwhouk: hey you need more than a first name(that quite often he was not born with!! :) )
Roy Scheider, Roy Orbison, Siegfried & Roy, Roy Hattersley(British Labour politician)...
and a lot of American sports personalities.. :)
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Then there's Ol' Roy

Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Getting back to the question at hand...

"Why are secrets kept from the Library?"

Answer: Because there are some things that the powers that be do not want getting into the hands of someone like, saaayyy... Bia, who may be able to access the Library and use it's information for nefarious purposes. Information like the location of the active Vimana cells or how to circumvent the world grid... or how to use a stargate for that matter.

I'm torn between our mystery guest being either Phix or Brandi... though Jin's mom would not be out of the realm of possibilities... would she?
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Jabberwonky wrote:Yeah, MTV lost it's shine, to me, when it was too obvious that they were trying to set what was cool instead of presenting everything to you to let you decide.
As a friend once noted, "Anything that spend that much time reminding you how cool it is ain't that cool."

@Hansontoons - The Cisco Kid used to be an after school ritual with me. :P
That's alright I used to be a Space Patrol fan.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
illiad

Post by illiad »

"how to use a stargate" ?? surely that is the library equivalent of "how to use a bus" ?? - they are much the same, they go to limited locations, they dont usually go near your house or even the particular shop or location you want...

"learn how to poit" now there is a dangerous one..
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

illiad wrote:"how to use a stargate" ?? surely that is the library equivalent of "how to use a bus" ?? - they are much the same, they go to limited locations, they dont usually go near your house or even the particular shop or location you want...

So would be "Planetary Destruction and World Domination for Dummies."
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Atomic wrote:
illiad wrote:"how to use a stargate" ?? surely that is the library equivalent of "how to use a bus" ?? - they are much the same, they go to limited locations, they dont usually go near your house or even the particular shop or location you want...

So would be "Planetary Destruction and World Domination for Dummies."
How about "Detailed Specifications and Code for Library Storage and Operation using Mulch-dimensional Math." by I.M. Wong.
Radical_Knight

Post by Radical_Knight »

Not only why, but by whom or what!
Memories die hard long after reality has turned to dust.
Dave

Post by Dave »

shadowinthelight wrote:Then there's Ol' Roy

... wondering whether Ol' Roy is the brand name, the name of the consumer, or the entree ...
illiad

Post by illiad »

zachariah wrote:How about "Detailed Specifications and Code for Library Storage and Operation using Mulch-dimensional Math." by I.M. Wong.
"feh, ANY L-space schoolkid knows how to do *that*.... {yawn} "

"but hey, I heard this hacker once, said he could depolarise space in a small area... of course the superadmin stomped on it pretty quickly, but I had a look at his specs... fairly standard stuff, but there would be NOOO way he could get any of the ingredients whithout causing a major alarm or atomising himself in the process!!! making it up as he goes along, most likley!!"
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

illiad wrote:
zachariah wrote:How about "Detailed Specifications and Code for Library Storage and Operation using Mulch-dimensional Math." by I.M. Wong.

"but hey, I heard this hacker once, said he could depolarise space in a small area... of course the superadmin stomped on it pretty quickly, but I had a look at his specs... fairly standard stuff, but there would be NOOO way he could get any of the ingredients whithout causing a major alarm or atomising himself in the process!!! making it up as he goes along, most likley!!"
Anyone can depolarize space.It isn't polarized in the first place, it just is. Unless your space is at one of the poles. Then you just have to warm it up or move it away from that location.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

zachariah wrote:
illiad wrote:

Anyone can depolarize space.It isn't polarized in the first place, it just is. Unless your space is at one of the poles. Then you just have to warm it up or move it away from that location.
I hope this line of thought doesn't polarize the forum.

[drops a couple of monopoles of opposite magnetic charge into the pun jar, just to watch the fireworks]
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

bmonk wrote:
zachariah wrote:Anyone can depolarize space.It isn't polarized in the first place, it just is. Unless your space is at one of the poles. Then you just have to warm it up or move it away from that location.
I hope this line of thought doesn't polarize the forum.

[drops a couple of monopoles of opposite magnetic charge into the pun jar, just to watch the fireworks]
Now you did it -- the Bose-Einstein condensate has clogged up the jar neck. We'll just have to wait till it warms up, unless someone has a quantum plunger.

You and your monopoles. Really, you should know better!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

NOTDilbert wrote: We never really had a nickname for the circular ones, though, but now that i'm older and -er, less agile - 'slip-disk' comes to mind....
We pilots just called 'em E6B's.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

NOTDilbert wrote:Talking of slide rules -

I was in high school before the widespread use of calculators - those available were expensive, usually only '4-bangers' (+-x/), and used odd entry logic (Reverse Polish Notation is a demon successfully vanquished today). $400 for a four function calculator? Yep.
Actually, the RPN/$400 calculator was the HP35, and it was rather more than a four-function device. In fact, it was basically an electronic slide rule.

RPN is annoying, but ...

(A guy in my Freshman Chem class at Georgia Tech had the first one in Atlanta.)
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dave wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:Then there's Ol' Roy

... wondering whether Ol' Roy is the brand name, the name of the consumer, or the entree ...
yes
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber