Bottom Floor, Everyone Out 2012-02-18

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Wapsi
Site Admin

Re: Bottom Floor, Everyone Out 2012-02-18

Post by Wapsi »

eee wrote:
Just Old Al wrote:Never, ever stop to examine the physics when a good story is being told...willing suspension of belief is exactly that.

Al
Yes, but you can only suspend belief so far. If you've got normal people doing things like dodging bullets they can see coming, leaping tall buildings at a single bound, OR crashing an airborne mining cart through several floors without dying in the process, that's kind of hard to swallow...
Apparently, you've never watched the Die Hard series or anything with Indiana Jones.
displaced

Post by displaced »

according to what I see here:
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/lost-dolls/
notice she is placed in the center of the drawing where the 7th doll is missing. This leads me to believe and I'm going to probably be seriously wrong when it comes to Mr. Taylor here, but I think she is the 7th doll and that means the physics don't apply to these two children or at least not in the way they would to you and me.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Dave wrote:It might even be a symbol in Glyph? I can't recall if we've ever seen a complete symbology.
It's no sign in Glyph that we've seen - but we don't know the whole alphabet.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Yamara wrote:Hm. Just found a little something.

Check out Panel Eleven:

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/betterprotection/
That is either Maya or Jin. I think Maya as she went to Lantis to destroy the Calendar Machine. So the odds increase this is an abandoned Lantin outpost, or refuge, left over from when it was destroyed.

There is no reason to suspect a third party playing puppet master with this action. Usually the third party has manipulated some of them into actions. How was Kath manipulated? After all it was Monica who brought Kath out of her shell. Then the idea to find an adventure was very spontaneous as well. Unless we want to assume Oscar is an agent for someone. The only real chance for a player to be involved is Asti. This could be Phix, or Nudge, in disguise giving Kath the adventure she wanted. Phix did find her interesting after all. Kath was unable to get into the library herself and I cannot believe the library is not aware of who is trying to enter it. After all the visitors have to be checked out the first time so there must be entry sensors to detect them.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Dave

Post by Dave »

zachariah wrote:

Check out Panel Eleven:

That is either Maya or Jin.
I don't know about the panel count... but I think Yamara was referring to the shape of the window opening in the wall. It's the same shape that's visible in the hangings(?) in the cliff dwelling in today's strip, and is the same shape that was enscribed on the front of the headband that Bia was wearing when she showed up in the Library.

Unless it's an utter coincidence (cue the Muttley laugh, please!) it probably confirms some sort of connection between these cliff dwellings (Mesa Verde?) and the olde time (Lanthis and/or the Titans).
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Dave wrote: I don't know about the panel count... but I think Yamara was referring to the shape of the window opening in the wall. It's the same shape that's visible in the hangings(?) in the cliff dwelling in today's strip, and is the same shape that was enscribed on the front of the headband that Bia was wearing when she showed up in the Library.

Unless it's an utter coincidence (cue the Muttley laugh, please!) it probably confirms some sort of connection between these cliff dwellings (Mesa Verde?) and the olde time (Lanthis and/or the Titans).
AGreed. The presence of Maya or Jin just confirms the Lantis. It has been mentioned that Maya went there. The window shape is the connection, Maya, whom I think that really is, is the confirmation.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

zachariah wrote:

Check out Panel Eleven:

That is either Maya or Jin. I think Maya as she went to Lantis to destroy the Calendar Machine. So the odds increase this is an abandoned Lantin outpost, or refuge, left over from when it was destroyed.
Yup. It's Maya.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dave wrote:(cue the Muttley laugh, please!)
Huh? Was that my cue?
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Julie

Post by Julie »

Fairportfan wrote:
zachariah wrote:

Check out Panel Eleven:

Yup. It's Maya.
Based on the page right before it, I was under the impression that it was Jin...and it was either before the Chimera incident (since Brandi said something about it being before Jin met Brandi and Bud), or it was after the Chimera was split apart, and the three of them weren't always aware of what the others were doing...
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Julie wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
zachariah wrote:That is either Maya or Jin. I think Maya as she went to Lantis to destroy the Calendar Machine. So the odds increase this is an abandoned Lantin outpost, or refuge, left over from when it was destroyed.
Yup. It's Maya.
Based on the page right before it, I was under the impression that it was Jin...and it was either before the Chimera incident (since Brandi said something about it being before Jin met Brandi and Bud), or it was after the Chimera was split apart, and the three of them weren't always aware of what the others were doing...
Which ever one it was she was apparently a murdering bitch at some point. Seems she could horribly kill several people, one after another, without the slightest pang of conscience. Makes me wonder who she really is at her core, despite her current attitude about such things. Is the current Jin (or Maya, which ever it is) really a changed person or is she still capable of murderous mayhem? And wasn't that incident before she became a golem?
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

KnightDelight wrote: Which ever one it was she was apparently a murdering bitch at some point. Seems she could horribly kill several people, one after another, without the slightest pang of conscience. Makes me wonder who she really is at her core, despite her current attitude about such things. Is the current Jin (or Maya, which ever it is) really a changed person or is she still capable of murderous mayhem? And wasn't that incident before she became a golem?
I don't know about that assessment of her emotions. These were the people that took her culture and turned it into a mockery of its former self as well as kidnapped, tortured, raped and burned alive women to make a monster to kill their enemy's and control the world. I would say her reaction is understandable as Jin has always seemed been practical minded (when she was not being schizophrenic that is).
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Julie wrote:Based on the page right before it, I was under the impression that it was Jin...and it was either before the Chimera incident (since Brandi said something about it being before Jin met Brandi and Bud), or it was after the Chimera was split apart, and the three of them weren't always aware of what the others were doing...
No, Paul has said it's Maya, i'm pretty sure.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Wapsi
Site Admin

Post by Wapsi »

Fairportfan wrote:
Julie wrote:Based on the page right before it, I was under the impression that it was Jin...and it was either before the Chimera incident (since Brandi said something about it being before Jin met Brandi and Bud), or it was after the Chimera was split apart, and the three of them weren't always aware of what the others were doing...
It is indeed Maya.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Wapsi wrote:It is indeed Maya.
Thanks, Paul!

I was trying to figure out the chronology of this incident. The best guess I can make, is that this was when Maya "introduced herself" to the Lanthian priesthood, showed them some of her powers/abilities, and thus persuaded (tricked) them into agreeing to use the golem-making process she had developed to turn her into a golem.

Is that roughly correct? or have I misunderstood the sequence of events back then?
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I suspect that's the case.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Mark N wrote:
KnightDelight wrote: Which ever one it was she was apparently a murdering bitch at some point. Seems she could horribly kill several people, one after another, without the slightest pang of conscience. Makes me wonder who she really is at her core, despite her current attitude about such things. Is the current Jin (or Maya, which ever it is) really a changed person or is she still capable of murderous mayhem? And wasn't that incident before she became a golem?
I don't know about that assessment of her emotions. These were the people that took her culture and turned it into a mockery of its former self as well as kidnapped, tortured, raped and burned alive women to make a monster to kill their enemy's and control the world. I would say her reaction is understandable as Jin has always seemed been practical minded (when she was not being schizophrenic that is).
Well, Paul has confirmed it was Maya so she doesn't even have schizophrenia as an excuse. I don't believe any of the chimera stuff had happened yet, so she wasn't motivated by the girls being killed. Even if it had, the guards she killed just to make a point likely didn't do any of those things. If she was after revenge, she could have killed those who did do it. No, she obviously had a callous disregard for human life at that time. She could have as well incapacitated them to make her point but she didn't. She just picked a few people at random and murdered them. Now she is not even human, she just acts like one because it suits her presently, much like it suits Tina. What happens when it doesn't is my point. Is she really different from the cold blooded killer she was? I wonder if she knew the Chimera would spiral out of control and let it happen just to wipe out the lot of them. Priests, people, culture, and all. Was it part of HER plan? Is she still carrying out a plan that even circumvents and supersedes Brandi's, without Brandi being aware of it? Is she working with Bia? Or is Bia just another dupe?

Ok, maybe I've carried this line of thought too far, but with this bunch you never know. Brandi seems to be different to a point. But she still manipulates people and events to suit her. Not to mention keeps bringing up how she could get people to do horrible things to themselves if she so chose. Such thoughts apparently cross her mind still. Is this foreshadowing? Bud seems to be the only genuine reformed one in the bunch. The only one up front about everything. Perhaps Jin as well, but I'm not sure of her either. Heck, at this point I'm not even sure of Monica. At least she doesn't have a murderous past though.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

KnightDelight wrote: Well, Paul has confirmed it was Maya so she doesn't even have schizophrenia as an excuse. I don't believe any of the chimera stuff had happened yet, so she wasn't motivated by the girls being killed. Even if it had, the guards she killed just to make a point likely didn't do any of those things. If she was after revenge, she could have killed those who did do it. No, she obviously had a callous disregard for human life at that time. She could have as well incapacitated them to make her point but she didn't. She just picked a few people at random and murdered them. Now she is not even human, she just acts like one because it suits her presently, much like it suits Tina. What happens when it doesn't is my point. Is she really different from the cold blooded killer she was? I wonder if she knew the Chimera would spiral out of control and let it happen just to wipe out the lot of them. Priests, people, culture, and all. Was it part of HER plan? Is she still carrying out a plan that even circumvents and supersedes Brandi's, without Brandi being aware of it? Is she working with Bia? Or is Bia just another dupe?

Ok, maybe I've carried this line of thought too far, but with this bunch you never know. Brandi seems to be different to a point. But she still manipulates people and events to suit her. Not to mention keeps bringing up how she could get people to do horrible things to themselves if she so chose. Such thoughts apparently cross her mind still. Is this foreshadowing? Bud seems to be the only genuine reformed one in the bunch. The only one up front about everything. Perhaps Jin as well, but I'm not sure of her either. Heck, at this point I'm not even sure of Monica. At least she doesn't have a murderous past though.
I agree with you now that we know that it is Maya. But I am wondering more on what Brandi said about getting a woman to skin herself. What if that is what will happen to Kat. if nothing else as a metaphor to her learning what she is capable of or what she may really be? (I just gave my self a chill :shock: )
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Wapsi wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
It is indeed Maya.
Huh...good to know. I must have missed it when that clarification was made the first time. :) Thanks Paul!
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."