Moving Forward 2016-05-20

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
FreeFlier

Re: Moving Forward 2016-05-20

Post by FreeFlier »

M203 grenade launcher wasn't that bad . . . more of a firm push than anything else.

The .416 was another big push . . .

Hmmmph. I just can't remember what it was, just that it was a "here, why don't you try this" episode while shooting a long time ago.

--FreeFlier
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Opus the Poet wrote:
FreeFlier wrote:That was not the most painful rifle I ever fired, either, but I don't remember what the painful one was. Wasn't the 7mm Mag . . .

--FreeFlier
I can tell you the most painful weapon I fired: XM79A2, an M79 with sights modified from a LAW. Really nice for dropping a grenade into the window of a moving truck. Also good for hitting a suspension bogie on a moving tank with a HEAT round. Just don't try to do both in one day, your shoulder will need some recovery time after getting pounded by the recoil of a 40mm grenade shell.
I didn't feel like it had THAT much recoil, but i only got to fire it a couple time with HE rounds.

Would have loved to try a beehive round.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

M79 (any model) was a solid bang into the shoulder if you were going for max range and accuracy. For shorter shots most people squeezed the stock between their upper arm and chest. That took a lot off the range and made accuracy iffy until you got used to pointing it like that, that advantage was you could fire all day like that. The best I did using my shoulder was 3 shots on the last day at the range, and the rest of the week packing my shoulder in ice with my arm in a sling. We practiced with white and red marker rounds instead of HEAP or HEAT. The really bad rounds were the shot shells with 5 oz. of 00 buck and 4 oz. of 3 buck filling in the spaces between the 00 buck. Tons of recoil from that thing with almost twice the projectile weight of the marker rounds. To give a comparison a 12Ga shell has 7/8 oz of shot to 1 1/8 oz for a Magnum load. The M79 didn't weigh as much as your typical 12Ga, which just meant that all that recoil went into your shoulder (or between your arm and chest).
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Back in the day, a buddy of mine purchased a 4 gauge flintlock from Dixie Gun Works (they no longer sell this item). We went to the range with it and several other devices. Thing had a 1" bore. I am not joking, 1". Proper charge of powder was whatever you could hold in your right hand. Everybody of our group kept looking at this thing and wondering if Bruce (the guy who bought it) would actually shoot it. After an awkward conversation, I wound up being the guinea pig. I moved it out to the 200 yard range where a group with .300 Weatherby belted magnums had pushed an old Hudson out there and were punching daylight into it. I set up, loaded, primed, aimed, jerked the trigger and sighted while the touch-hole sizzled...

... my next memory was of looking at procedure lights while on my back in an emergency room. My shoulder was in a sling/immobilizer from a bad dislocation.

The Hudson was moved by 6".
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
AnotherFairportfan

Sounds like a punt gun.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Sounds like a punt gun.
Well, it punted Sarge...
AnotherFairportfan

Warrl wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Sounds like a punt gun.
Well, it punted Sarge...
A punt gun was a huge shotgun - mounted on a punt, a small boat - that was used for rather unsporting hunting of flocks sitting on the water...

The Brits had elephant guns with one-inch bore ("number 4 Bore").

I saw a write-up on one that shoe an explosive round in Popular Science (or one of those mags). They had stacked up manymany old issues of the magazine and fired the thing into it.

It penetrated a foot or two of tightly-packed paper before it detonated.

==============

FIXED BAD LINK
Last edited by AnotherFairportfan on Mon May 23, 2016 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

FPF your link goes to a Cracked article on Japanese Idol groups.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

Opus the Poet wrote:FPF your link goes to a Cracked article on Japanese Idol groups.
Dammit. I was writiting something for an apazine at the same time and i must have grabbed the wrong link.

I'll fix it when i get back to the computer.