The Chase 04 2015-09-24

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
CPUGuy1

Re: The Chase 04 2015-09-24

Post by CPUGuy1 »

HEY!!! I know that feeling ... Some years it's almost impossible to get enough boxes of Thin Mints!!!

Thankfully, I do like several of the other kinds of Girl Scout Cookies ... which seems to be in an abundance.
Is The Earth On A Diet?
With just one million people losing weight,
so after each one had lost 'one pound' ...
will the earth weigh 1,000,000 pounds less?
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:... I don't even need to open that attachment know what it is.
Yep.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Julie

Post by Julie »

jwhouk wrote:... I don't even need to open that attachment know what it is.
Yeah...same here. :) Frankly, I'm okay with not seeing it again, too...funny though it may be.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
illiad

Post by illiad »

well it should be 'wafffer thin mints... :P :mrgreen:

WARNING! if you have just eaten, got a mouthful of liquid,
DO NOT click link until you are finished, and ready to be 'grossed out'!!!

You haf bin warned!!! :roll: :? :lol:

jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

It's all Pablo's fault.

I went to the local Family Dollar and got a box of the Fudge Mints.

Also - that Family Dollar in Uptown is about 10 blocks away from the "fictional" location of Monica's house on 3535 Bryant Avenue South.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
captnq

Post by captnq »

But are the girl scout cookies made out of real girl scouts?

scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

captnq wrote:But are the girl scout cookies made out of real girl scouts?

and as Jwhouk says "i don't even need to open that attachment to know what it is..." same here, good movie, too bad it was one of Raul's last movies.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

BarGamer wrote:Yeah, something about the math is off. $20K, 52 weeks, 10 boxes, should not cost $38.46 a box. I tried rules-lawyering it as much as I could, and even if it was $10K AND 10 boxes PER GIRL, the math still doesn't add up. If it was 100 boxes or only $2K, that would be an entirely reasonable price. Someone goofed.
Ran it through the calculator both ways $20 K /520 boxes and $38.46 * 520 boxes going backwards came out 19,999.20 or $0.80 rounding error. I stand by my computations.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Julie wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:I eas still hoping for another epic storyline like the stone calander, or the lost spider.
Well, this comic is advertised as a "slice of (supernatural) life"...and life is very rarely back to back adventures. :) Lucky for us the most intriguing stories are sometimes the ones where people manage to pick themselves up by their bootstraps and face the day.
Quite true.

And we did have that little rule golden trip to Devyn's dark world a short while back.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Julie wrote:Who called Girl Scouts? :) I don't think I'd ever be willing to pay that much for cookies. I mean, I love my Girl Scout cookies as much as most people (if not more...it's a miracle I wasn't a chubby child for all the cookies I ate as a scout)...but $10k or $20k? Hell no! :P
This is the first quote I could find...
Gyrrakavian wrote:Evil girl scouts!
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I'm kinda crazy about the peanut butter cups, I think they are Tagalongs in some areas. For some reason DFW is right on the dividing line between two warehouses so depending on where you get your cookies you could get two similar cookies with different names or the converse two completely different cookies with the same name. Arlington is a good place to comparison shop. :ugeek:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

The FD Fudge Mints are $1.75/box.

Monica, next time? Just have them ship directly to you, ktnxbai.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Julie

Post by Julie »

Opus the Poet wrote:I'm kinda crazy about the peanut butter cups, I think they are Tagalongs in some areas. For some reason DFW is right on the dividing line between two warehouses so depending on where you get your cookies you could get two similar cookies with different names or the converse two completely different cookies with the same name. Arlington is a good place to comparison shop. :ugeek:
Really? I never knew that...probably because I must have been securely in the "Tagalongs" area both as a Girl Scout and now that I'm an adult who binges on the cookies. :P
"Just open your eyes
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

The alternate naming is ridiculous. I had no idea what "Do-Si-Dos" are until I looked it up and realized they are the Peanut Butter Sandwiches which are my favorite.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
meisdadoo

Post by meisdadoo »

10 boxes per girl = 30 boxes per week
30 times 52 = 1560 boxes
$20,000 divided by 1560 = $12.82 per box +/-
$12.82 times 1560 = $ 19,968.00
$12.83 times 1560 = $20,014.80

$10,000 divided by 1560 = $6.42 per box (Actual average price for GS cookies is $10 per box)

I could have sworn I posted this yesterday, but now I can't find it . . . :roll:
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Adagio Sherlock tea + Savannah smiles = nirvana.

Here's how I deal with the times between...

Freezer bags prevent freezer burn, freezer keeps them rather fresh.
Attachments
A wise little squirrel once told me...
A wise little squirrel once told me...
rsz_img_20150925_103122_hdr.jpg (120.59 KiB) Viewed 9157 times
Last edited by DinkyInky on Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Julie

Post by Julie »

meisdadoo wrote:10 boxes per girl = 30 boxes per week
30 times 52 = 1560 boxes
$20,000 divided by 1560 = $12.82 per box +/-
$12.82 times 1560 = $ 19,968.00
$12.83 times 1560 = $20,014.80

$10,000 divided by 1560 = $6.42 per box
She actually appears to have bought cases...not just boxes (1 case of Thin Mints = 12 boxes of Thin Mints)...and did she really buy 10 cases per week from each girl? :shock: Or just 10 cases per week in general and the girls get to split the sale? Because I thought it was the latter. Also...
meisdadoo wrote:(Actual average price for GS cookies is $10 per box)
Seriously?? Because the price per box here is about $4 (and I think I saw something earlier this year about how some troops were raising prices to a "shocking" $5/box)...so $10/box as an average price seems ridiculous. You sure your local scout troop isn't just raking in unnecessary amounts of cash? :P Unless, of course, you're going with the "case" definition of box like Monica was...in which case you're getting a bargain if you're only paying about $10/case. :)
"Just open your eyes
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Julie wrote:
meisdadoo wrote:(Actual average price for GS cookies is $10 per box)
Seriously?? Because the price per box here is about $4 (and I think I saw something earlier this year about how some troops were raising prices to a "shocking" $5/box)...so $10/box as an average price seems ridiculous. You sure your local scout troop isn't just raking in unnecessary amounts of cash? :P Unless, of course, you're going with the "case" definition of box like Monica was...in which case you're getting a bargain if you're only paying about $10/case. :)
Yeah, in Ohio, the Chicagoland area, NWI, and my new digs, I paid $4 per unit. Back home, there were even a few troops that gave bulk discounts on the less popular ones.
I only buy if the kids are there selling, not parents...this is important.

Meanwhile, as I was making a cookie run(which I often did for friends with small kids, or shared car), some parents from another troop tried to boot the girls and their mom's out of a spot by setting up in the way, and trying to run a better deal.
Mind you, as I arrived the first time(I made three large sales with them that day) I saw these youngins had on their own asked permission to sell in front of that video store, from the owners, parents standing way back out of the way. They swept the sidewalks, set up tables so as to not be in the way of customers, etc.

So as you probably guessed, I was rather raging bull angry seeing these witches pulling that..

Me, being the loudmouthed lil green froggie that I am(Korean reference), walked inside and got the owners, complaining loudly that not only were these adults trying to sell cookies without the uniforms, or girlscouts being there, they were making a mess, and upsetting customers by shouting over some adorable seven year olds trying to make a pitch. Eventually they left...with...persuasion.

Last time I stocked up, kids had a buy three get one free on all but thin mints(as they're in high demand vs others). So I asked if I bought the thin mints at regular price, could I get the free ones as not a mint. We both cleaned up. I bought a case of thin mints, and ended up with six smiles, so better deal. My friends paid me back, and I went back for more. Bought another case, and well...

After I finished my cookie run that day, my freezer ended up with four boxes each of thin mints, smiles, and the sandies and peanut butter cookies richer. With quality ice cream, I can stretch 18 boxes of cookies(which was my take on that cookie run, plus a tank of gas) between my son and I to last a year, so bonus.

--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I still have one box of thin mints left. I had a bit of a dust up when my housemate was dipping into my stash without warning me. I came home to find two empty boxes (one Samoan and one Thin Mint) in the trash. He'd eaten two full boxes that day without asking or sharing.
I was not happy,
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Julie

Post by Julie »

Jabberwonky wrote:I still have one box of thin mints left. I had a bit of a dust up when my housemate was dipping into my stash without warning me. I came home to find two empty boxes (one Samoan and one Thin Mint) in the trash. He'd eaten two full boxes that day without asking or sharing.
I was not happy,
Oooo... :evil: That's cause for a fight as I see it...or potential roommate ejection. No touchie of other people's food stuffs (especially not the specialty stuffs) without permission!
"Just open your eyes