Be Sure to See Me 2016-10-06

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Catawampus

Re: Be Sure to See Me 2016-10-06

Post by Catawampus »

I wasn't all that favourably impressed when I went to get my first driving license in the US.

Me: "Do you have a booklet or a website that can tell me what the traffic laws are in this state?"
Lady behind the counter: "Oh, we don't have anything like that."
Me: "Then how am I supposed to learn what the laws are?"
LBtC: "Well, most people seem to just make it up as they go along. Just be sure to give the right answers on the test, and you'll be fine!"
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

AmriloJim wrote:Looks like Connie just remembered a Prius engagement.
Dave's not here, man!
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Post by Dave »

jwhouk wrote:
AmriloJim wrote:Looks like Connie just remembered a Prius engagement.
Dave's not here, man!
Dave's glad he drives a somewhat modern vehicle.

If he was driving an old Geo Prizm, he's sure he'd already have received an expensive ticket... for driving while diffracted.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Georgia requires an eye test every time, and, once you're sixty, renewal is every five years, vs every ten.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Dave wrote:Dave's glad he drives a somewhat modern vehicle.

If he was driving an old Geo Prizm, he's sure he'd already have received an expensive ticket... for driving while diffracted.
I liked my old Prizm, but it was hard to accelerate away from other cars. The red shifter light was burned out.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Catawampus wrote:I wasn't all that favourably impressed when I went to get my first driving license in the US.

Me: "Do you have a booklet or a website that can tell me what the traffic laws are in this state?"
Lady behind the counter: "Oh, we don't have anything like that."
Me: "Then how am I supposed to learn what the laws are?"
LBtC: "Well, most people seem to just make it up as they go along. Just be sure to give the right answers on the test, and you'll be fine!"
Now that is criminal carelessness.

Or a lightly disguised refusal to do her job.
AnotherFairportfan wrote:Georgia requires an eye test every time, and, once you're sixty, renewal is every five years, vs every ten.
In this state, the basic license is every five years (used to be four years) and once you're over 60, the examiner can arbitrarily shift you to every two years, then to every year - no appeal. As I noted previously, the examiner can also require you to take a driving test any time you go in for renewal - again, no appeal. I've not heard that the examiner can require you to take the written, but it wouldn't surprise me.

If they give you a restricted license - say automatic transmissions only - for any reason, it is very nearly impossible to get that restriction removed . . . figure you're going to have to get a lawyer and sue DoL. And the examiner can demand you take a restriction on a vast array of pretexts any time you renew . . . they wanted to give me an automatic-transmission-only for a broken wrist, two weeks before the end of treatment.

I didn't take it . . . I let the license lapse, then renewed after the end of treatment. I wasn't driving much anyway, so it didn't matter.

CDL drivers have to renew -with a physical exam!- every two years. (That saved my dad's life . . . the doctor found an aortic aneurysm –which is mostly likely instantly fatal!- during the exam.)

--FreeFlier
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

CDL drivers have to renew -with a physical exam!- every two years. (That saved my dad's life . . . the doctor found an aortic aneurysm –which is mostly likely instantly fatal!- during the exam.)
Yeouch. That's one of those things that if they already have you on the operating table and your chest opened up when it ruptures, you MIGHT survive.
Last edited by Warrl on Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnotherFairportfan

Warrl wrote:
Yeouch. That's one of those things that if they already have you on the operating table and your chest opens up when it ruptures, you MIGHT survive.
I'm sorry - i suspect you meant "opened up" ... but i had flashes of both "Alien" and Carpenter's "The Thing".
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Catawampus wrote:LBtC: "Well, most people seem to just make it up as they go along. Just be sure to give the right answers on the test, and you'll be fine!"
Unfortunately that seems to be LEO's take on bicycle laws in my state.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

Opus the Poet wrote:
Catawampus wrote:LBtC: "Well, most people seem to just make it up as they go along. Just be sure to give the right answers on the test, and you'll be fine!"
Unfortunately that seems to be LEO's take on bicycle laws in my state.
Most states these days.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
Warrl wrote:
Yeouch. That's one of those things that if they already have you on the operating table and your chest opens up when it ruptures, you MIGHT survive.
I'm sorry - i suspect you meant "opened up" ... but i had flashes of both "Alien" and Carpenter's "The Thing".
oops... heh... will correct in a moment.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

FreeFlier, that needs to be mandatory in every state.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Gyrrakavian wrote:FreeFlier, that needs to be mandatory in every state.
I believe the CDL exams already are.

The eye exam should be, certainly.

However, I have severe problems with the examiner/counterperson being allowed the final authority to make someone's like hell with no reason, no standards and no appeal.

--FreeFlier
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Dave wrote:[... for driving while diffracted.
<--- This is not the only dude I love, but this is a dude I love.

I'll take this Illustrative Opportunity to point out that all the things I agree with Dave on, specifically, (and I presume), come from Gwen's influence upon him. (I know I'm right, and stubbornly refuse to accept any dissenting opinions...)

Dude,
don't even respond here,
but go make some unscheduled acknowledgment out of my seeing through your otherwise mundane existence.

I recommend sneak-attack foot-rubs. I swear to Gerd. Stop. Turn.

Go.