Grab Your Seat 2016-09-14

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
FreeFlier

Re: Grab Your Seat 2016-09-14

Post by FreeFlier »

One guess who's going to get the helper job . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

--FreeFlier
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

The girl on our right looks like a younger version of Brandi...
ShirouZhiwu

Post by ShirouZhiwu »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
Dave wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:I think I hear the pun jar menacingly singing the Flintstone's theme song's ending at you...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll have to think for a while about how such an upbeat theme can be sung menacingly. :?
Switch it to a minor key and slow it down a bit.

An example with 'Every Breath You Take'
Then have Ozzy do it.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Or have Slipknot perform it.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Gyrrakavian wrote:
Dave wrote:I'll have to think for a while about how such an upbeat theme can be sung menacingly. :?

Slow and in minors certainly helps the menace... but that song started out menacing from the very beginning! Obsession, stalking, and control... it's actually quite dark even as originally performed. A masterpiece of ambiguity.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=548
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Opus the Poet wrote:Does Mr. Peterson look a lot like Shelly, or am I seeing things?
I was thinking he looked more like a certain Tuna Girl...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Dave wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote:
Dave wrote:I'll have to think for a while about how such an upbeat theme can be sung menacingly. :?

Slow and in minors certainly helps the menace... but that song started out menacing from the very beginning! Obsession, stalking, and control... it's actually quite dark even as originally performed. A masterpiece of ambiguity.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=548
No ambiguity at all - except in the minds of people wh don't get it. Sting had been amazed anyone could think it was anything else.

Try this one ... by the cute and cheery Monkees ... and listen to what it really says.

Earl's gotta die...
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Earl's gotta die...
Maryann and Wanda were the best of friends...
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

(fairportfan's current avatar) 14Sep2016 (reminds one of the former Mrs. TazManiac...) Only that ones a bit too pale, but other wise...
AnotherFairportfan

TazManiac wrote:(fairportfan's current avatar) 14Sep2016 (reminds one of the former Mrs. TazManiac...) Only that ones a bit too pale, but other wise...
Larger version in the "More Stuff" thread - and a chibi version of the same character.

She's a rookie cop in a fairly-new webcomic, called Danger Zone One.

Here's the page topper:
dzo.jpg
dzo.jpg (67.22 KiB) Viewed 9330 times
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:
TazManiac wrote:(fairportfan's current avatar) 14Sep2016 (reminds one of the former Mrs. TazManiac...) Only that ones a bit too pale, but other wise...
Larger version in the "More Stuff" thread - and a chibi version of the same character.

Here's the page topper:
dzo.jpg
"Backs don't work like that!" Don't believe me? Try that pose yourself, but have a phone within reach and 911 on a single button dial.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

Opus the Poet wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:

"Backs don't work like that!" Don't believe me? Try that pose yourself, but have a phone within reach and 911 on a single button dial.
One of Kelly Freas's early covers for F&SF showed a red-haired witch scribing a pentacle. He submitted a sketch and got approval.

He was planning to use his wife, Polly as a model ... but discovered that his composition would have required her to bend in a way she couldn't.
afreet.jpg
afreet.jpg (59.19 KiB) Viewed 9311 times
He took two pictures of her and spliced them together to work from.

{Polly was a Babe in those days}

I was familiar with the cover, but i didn't notice it till Kelly mentioned it in a talk at an SF con. It's not really obvious, but...

I miss him.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:She's a rookie cop in a fairly-new webcomic, called Danger Zone One.
Highway to tha Danger Zone!
ShirouZhiwu

Post by ShirouZhiwu »

Alkarii wrote:Or have Slipknot perform it.
I'm Sticking with Ozzy. He could do something like this to it:
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

lake_wrangler wrote:
Dave wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:I think I hear the pun jar menacingly singing the Flintstone's theme song's ending at you...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll have to think for a while about how such an upbeat theme can be sung menacingly. :?
By repeating the last line over and over, as it slowly approaches you? :twisted:
WILMA!

WILMA!

WILMA!

WILMA!

...but I'm not Wilma...
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Warrl wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
Dave wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:

By repeating the last line over and over, as it slowly approaches you? :twisted:
WILMA!

WILMA!

WILMA!

WILMA!

...but I'm not Wilma...
Ah, but that's the end of the scene, not the end of the song... Fred does not sing. Arthur sings, beautifully, even, yet only in the shower. But Fred does not sing. Therefore, that may be the end of the scene that plays behind the theme song, but that is not the end of the song.

Now, imagine the pun jar, advancing creepily, saying over and over:

We'll have a gay old time!

Then ponder, in fear and trembling, just what exactly it means, by that... :twisted:
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Drakkenmensch wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:I don't think gay, I think something else. Devyn is not human. Therefore she does not behave according to human norms.
Are any of them truly human?

The teacher could also simply not be Devyn's type.

Or she already has someone dear to her*, so she won't get infatuated with someone else.

Or, since we know she is a bit of a loner** (or would that be emotionally challenged, from getting picked on so much?), she has emotionally inoculated herself against such infatuations, fearing the inevitable *** negative result...
Or she's just too mature for her age? I remember something similar happening when I was seven years old but with a box of candy. I clearly remember thinking "this is so undignified."
It could always be that she refuses to act like Uncle Zeus . . . What was the comment? "Hades is a psychopath and Zeus will hump anything that moves"?

--FreeFlier
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

FreeFlier wrote:It could always be that she refuses to act like Uncle Zeus . . . What was the comment? "Hades is a psychopath and Zeus will hump anything that moves"?

--FreeFlier
That would actually make a lot of sense...
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Thread Drift, Defeated!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

TazManiac wrote:Thread Drift, Defeated!
Ah, but thread drift can be so much fun! Some forums develop it into an art form... :mrgreen: