Patron Pledge 2015-11-13

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Re: Patron Pledge 2015-11-13

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Just Old Al wrote:
AnotherFairportfan wrote:What, is Stheno the only one that learnt to talk good?...
Spend any time talking to Sarge and the translation becomes automatic....
I live in Georgia.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Mark N wrote:Along the way to my current age I have spent lots of time with Southerners of all types. The Kentucky speech pattern that Eurayle has is easy when you can translate Cajun to ordinary English.
Born in Chicago, lived till seven in Cleveland, grew up in rural SC, live in the Atlanta area, first wife was from Louisville, used to spend a couple weekends each month in New Orleans.

I gots all that stuff.

Actually - i've said it before - i "hear" Eurayle as a sort of female version of Mike Nesmith.

================

An acquaintance from NOLa who i hadn't seen since before Katrina, and who i recently heard died a couple years back, was probably the definitive Yat. (My friend Dennis, who also died a bit more recently, was also a Yat, but going to law school had filed some of the edges off his accent.)

If you'd like to see a good approximation of the Yat/Nint' Wahd dialect of New Orleans, read Krazy Kat. Her creator (George Herriman) was a New Orleans Creole, who would apparently have been considered black in the Twenties by society, but managed to "pass". (*sigh*)

(Don Markstein, compiler of the toonopedia was from NOLa himself, and mentioned Krazy Kat's Nint' Wahd accent to me years before he began the toonopedia project.)
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I grew up among a bunch of transplanted tarheels . . . Y'ever have a logger ask you if you'd seen a parasol in the road? It'd bounced outta the backa the truck . . .

--FreeFlier