What They Have 2015-08-05

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Sgt. Howard

Re: What They Have 2015-08-05

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Julie wrote:
Dave wrote:"I'm just a particle whose intentions are good...
please don't let me be misunderstood."
Win! :D

And thanks for the educational explanation folks! :) This is why I love the Wapsi fandom...friendly and educated. 8-)
And willing to educate without snark factors
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
eee

Post by eee »

cmdrpowers wrote:
pwbritt wrote:What type of paranormal is Devyn?
Devyn is a Nymph, a Helead or fen nymph.
I believe that is what Mr. Taylor said, yes. As a niece of Poseidon, a connection with the sea or water would be understandable. But there's that comment about her and Alexis being able to kill everyone in a 10 block area. That would seem to be beyond the abilities of a normal nymph. We don't know who her parents are; Devyn may be something as unique in her way as Atsali is in hers.
sheik

Post by sheik »

Now I have to wonder if the Akashic Record wasn't designed to eventually offset the Dark Energy expansion of the Universe by the accelerating increase of its own apparent mass.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

I'd like to hear her theories on Dark Chocolate.
Platonix

Post by Platonix »

kingklash wrote:I'd like to hear her theories on Dark Chocolate.
Dark Chocolate is a mysterious type of chocolate that cannot be studied under normal conditions, because it seems to disappear as soon as we obtain it. All we can do is measure the way it increases gravity's pull on us.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

sheik wrote:Now I have to wonder if the Akashic Record wasn't designed to eventually offset the Dark Energy expansion of the Universe by the accelerating increase of its own apparent mass.
"Well, we have to keep the lights on in the Library somehow..."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

eee wrote:As a niece of Poseidon, a connection with the sea or water would be understandable. But there's that comment about her and Alexis being able to kill everyone in a 10 block area. That would seem to be beyond the abilities of a normal nymph.
You ever been in a flash flood?
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

GlytchMeister wrote:Crap.
Now I gotta rewrite quite a few major swaths of my fanfic.
Just write them with all of your characters having goatees. Then you can claim that it's some alternate Wapsi universe, that can perhaps be reached by transporter malfunction.
Julie wrote:My second thought was, "Wait...are dark matter and anti-matter the same thing?"
Antimatter is particles that are identical in all respects to "normal" particles with the exception of one quality, which is the opposite of normal. The antimatter version of a proton has the same mass, spin, and so on as does a proton, but has an opposite charge. The antimatter version of a neutrino has the same mass and lack of charge that a neutrino has, but has the opposite helicity. And so on.

Dark matter is any sort of particle that mostly directly interacts with the rest of the universe around it by means of gravity and perhaps radioactive decay. It doesn't interact much (if at all) with light, magnetism, and all that other stuff. That makes it hard to detect, hence it being "dark" or unknown.

Some theories would allow for some dark matter to contain protons and electrons and that sort of thing, and if those exist then the potential exists for dark matter with antiprotons and antielectrons as well. So some dark matter could theoretically be antimatter, and some antimatter could be dark matter, but one does not necessarily have to be the other.
JSStryker wrote:I like Devyn's outlook on life and her hope that one day para's and non's will be able to work together side by side for the betterment of the world.
Because the two groups working against each other would be quite unpleasant and messy.
eee wrote:As a niece of Poseidon, a connection with the sea or water would be understandable. But there's that comment about her and Alexis being able to kill everyone in a 10 block area. That would seem to be beyond the abilities of a normal nymph.
Being able to control salt water could make things very unpleasant for any living thing that has saline water solutions in it. Such as our blood does.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Platonix wrote:
Dark Chocolate is a mysterious type of chocolate that cannot be studied under normal conditions, because it seems to disappear as soon as we obtain it. All we can do is measure the way it increases gravity's pull on us.
It is noted that dark chocolate has a MUCH stronger effect on the female of the species... and disappears much faster in the presence thereof.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

one might also consider that the body itself is made up of about 80% water. That would give anyone who can control that an awesome advantage.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Sgt. Howard wrote:
Platonix wrote:
It is noted that dark chocolate has a MUCH stronger effect on the female of the species... and disappears much faster in the presence thereof.
It is obvious you have never seen me around chocolate. Then agian with 3 sister to help with training i may have an unfair advantage
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
captnq

Post by captnq »

GlytchMeister wrote: Antimatter is the evil twin of matter.
ARG! No No no no NO!

Mirror Matter is the evil twin of matter. Anti-Matter is just oppositely charged matter.

How can you tell them apart?
Anti-mater explodes when you touch it.
Mirror Matter has a goatee.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

captnq wrote:
ARG! No No no no NO!

Mirror Matter is the evil twin of matter. Anti-Matter is just oppositely charged matter.

...and boffs the Communications Officer.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Catawampus wrote:
GlytchMeister wrote:Crap.
Now I gotta rewrite quite a few major swaths of my fanfic.
Just write them with all of your characters having goatees. Then you can claim that it's some alternate Wapsi universe, that can perhaps be reached by transporter malfunction...
AnotherFairportfan wrote:
captnq wrote:
ARG! No No no no NO!

...and boffs the Communications Officer.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

MUST...UNSEE...
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

HEY now. There is an epic piece of trivia about "Mirror, Mirror" that I learned of long ago.

I was born at the approximate time the episode debuted.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Typeminer wrote:
Julie wrote:Wait...are dark matter and anti-matter the same thing?
Not in our universe, no. Antimatter has been observed. The existence of dark matter is inferred, because its mass is required to explain the observed movement of galaxies since the Big Bang, but we don't know what it is. Possibly some type of massive subatomic particle that doesn't interact with "normal" matter other than through gravity.

If I understand it at all, which is very questionable. :mrgreen:
I believe that's a decent layman's explanation of the currently-dominant theory.

Said theory is of course a lot more complex when the relevant experts are discussing it with each other. And it may be correct, almost correct (like Newtonian gravity, which is known to be incorrect but is close enough for almost all earthly purposes - in fact it's identical to Einsteinian gravity with certain variables reduced to indistinguishable-from-zero), or flat wrong.

There is at least one alternative theory, which involves a tweak to how gravity behaves over very large distances, that so far fits stellar orbits in galaxies, and galactic orbits in clusters, but doesn't quite fit galactic-cluster orbits in superclusters. Since it doesn't currently try to explain *why* gravity behaves differently over very large distances, it may simply need further refinement. Or, again, it may just be flat wrong. In its favor, it has been used to predict undetermined orbital data on stars in stellar clusters, and later determined to be pretty consistently correct.
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

eee wrote: But there's that comment about her and Alexis being able to kill everyone in a 10 block area. That would seem to be beyond the abilities of a normal nymph. We don't know who her parents are; Devyn may be something as unique in her way as Atsali is in hers.
well. how about this for a theory:
in the hope's of speeding up the process of NON-paranormal scientists learning more about how to understand "Dark Matter", ie. the Akashik Records, they decide to do a "science experiment" involving that book that Deyvn was reading from and what they both know of the Record... BUT, as high-school projects sometime do when the subject matter isn't properly understood by the students very well, it... fails... and fails rather badly to say the least... maybe they accidentally figured a way to ERASE the Akashik Record!! and if the Record of well, YOU and everything ABOUT you get's erased, then SO DO YOU!! ie, you DIE... the reason they won't/can't talk about it is probably the same reason as how most "common folks" don't know the tiny dot-the-eyes and cross-the-teas details about how to build a nuclear bomb in their basements... yes certain scientists, and technically oriented people DO, but they realize that if they DID build one that it would be "a bad thing" so they don't... the two DID find out those details and after what happened, they agreed to never talk about it again.
OR, maybe the MIB found out about it, when they got called in to investigate/cover-up the incident and stopped them from going further along that path and the reason they are still out and about in the world afterwards is because they had no idea WHAT they accidentally did and had no possibility of ever REPEATING it (and being a relative of one of the BIG Kahuna's doesn't hurt either) so they are either under a gag-order and released under their own cognizance...OR it seems that in the Para-world that an individual human's life is valued EXTREMELY cheaply, and the whole incident just became an "oh girls will be girls, tee hee!, just ignore them they're ONLY humans" kind of thing and it was forgotten by everyone BUT the two girls, kinda similar attitude that Psillah had over Monica's DE-facing incident at the Library...
Don't planto mihi adveho illac
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

TazManiac wrote:Image
Dave

Post by Dave »

My eyes!! The goggles do nothing!

:lol: