PierogiPalooza

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

DinkyInky

PierogiPalooza

Post by DinkyInky »

I had a decently busy weekend.

As I have mentioned before, I'm half Asian and Half Polish. This is about the Polish half of me.

Friday, I went over to my friends house and made five doughballs, and let them sit overnight covered.

Saturday all the parents got folks to watch their respective kids, and my friend and I were joined by one of her sister in laws, her aunt and uncle, and her mother and grandmother.

Saturday we made Potato and Potato and Cheese, and sauerkraut. I again made doughballs(four this time), and let them sit covered overnight.
They came back on Sunday.
We made the remainder of the sauerkraut, sausage and sauerkraut, pulled beef, sweetened ricotta with almond, and sweetened ricotta and spiced peaches. I made three more doughballs in-between filling them.

Final tally for the weekend:
112 dozen Pierogi made.

That's 1,344 Pierogi.
Made were:

23.5 dozen Potato,
18 dozen Potato and Cheddar,
19 dozen Sauerkraut,
5 dozen Sauerkraut
7 dozen Sausage and Sauerkraut,
13 dozen Pulled Beef,
27.5 dozen Sweet cheese with almond,
3 dozen Sweet cheese with Peaches.
BTW, that's not including the 2 or so odd dozen that broke and were eaten during this festival.

12 doughballs made with

50 lbs of flour, and other ingredients that if I told you, I'd have to kill you.

Three days, 28 hours.

It was Pierogipalooza!

The theme music went from Boots Randolph's Yakety Sax to Eartha Kitt singing Santa Baby to A Hard Day's Night, and everything in between played on Victrola's and old Record players.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
NOTDilbert

Re: PierogiPalooza

Post by NOTDilbert »

Can I come to your house? 8-)
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

NOTDilbert wrote:Can I come to your house? 8-)
It depends. Can you handle a spirited near eight year old buzzing the tower(hint: you're the tower), and can you handle tons of Snow(it begins today precioussssss! Yessss!)<==can you tell I've been anxiously awaiting the snow?

I'm tempted to make a few packets up for my family as Christmas gifts(the memory will last longer than the food...:P ).
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

Wow! That sounds like a weekend very well spent!

If we-all ever manage to have any sort of Wapsi-forum get-together, I hope you'll volunteer to be part of the "does the honors on the edible goodies" gang!
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Despite my mostly-Scottish heritage, there's a bit of Ukrainian in the extended family. So I am nuts for home-made perogies.
I'm now very hungry and I blame YOU, DinkyInky!! ;)
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:Wow! That sounds like a weekend very well spent!

If we-all ever manage to have any sort of Wapsi-forum get-together, I hope you'll volunteer to be part of the "does the honors on the edible goodies" gang!
It's fairly easy to make if you are willing to put the work in(or the capital for ingredients). I have a few friends who are not so good in the kitchen, so I put them to work buying groceries(or watching everyone else' kiddos when we do). It's a trade-off that was common growing up, but not so common now. When I even mention I'm going to make gwampke(Cabbage rolls), there's usually a line of folks helping out. When I make Mandu(Korean food), it' about the same amount of work involved, and help.
MerchManDan wrote:Despite my mostly-Scottish heritage, there's a bit of Ukrainian in the extended family. So I am nuts for home-made perogies.
I'm now very hungry and I blame YOU, DinkyInky!! ;)
JA mówił przemawiać żałujący, ale to byłoby prawdą połową! ;) (not being my first language, it's fuzzy recall when I first wake up...)

--Safyr Drathmir
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

It reminds me of the time when we were having a book on Lewis and Clark for table reading. One night, they "slid their pierogis into the river" for the day's travel.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

DinkyInky wrote:JA mówił przemawiać żałujący, ale to byłoby prawdą połową!
Google Translate wrote:I said to speak repentant, but half of it would be true!
:mrgreen:
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

MerchManDan wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:JA mówił przemawiać żałujący, ale to byłoby prawdą połową!
Google Translate wrote:I said to speak repentant, but half of it would be true!
:mrgreen:
Actually, it's "I would say I'm sorry, but that would only be half true! :P"

--Safyr Drathmir
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Yeah, that's what I thought. I just can't resist the chance to play "Mock the Flawed Technology." :lol:
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

DinkyInky wrote:
It depends. Can you handle a spirited near eight year old buzzing the tower(hint: you're the tower), and can you handle tons of Snow(it begins today precioussssss! Yessss!)<==can you tell I've been anxiously awaiting the snow?

I'm tempted to make a few packets up for my family as Christmas gifts(the memory will last longer than the food...:P ).
You would be suprised what I can put up with - heck, or even participate in - for a (food item here)palooza.

One time I made meade for 80 people for an SCA event. :)
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

NOTDilbert wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:

You would be suprised what I can put up with - heck, or even participate in - for a (food item here)palooza.

One time I made meade for 80 people for an SCA event. :)
Ahh, SCA Events...

I remember one event, I decided to make brisket. Since I knew I was going to be sharing with the camp, and probably whomever came visiting, I brought fifty pounds (pre-cooked) of smoked brisket.

I ran out in two hours.

I did, however, wind up about as drunk as I have ever been, as many people shared their libations with me in recompense for the meal. It was also the night I apparently earned the epitaph 'the pickled piper of ham-handed'. To this day, I do not know what I did to earn such an accolade, other than apparently my piping got better the more drunk I was, and there was an incident involving an almost willing wench and an incomplete pass. I never did get the full story out of my buddies.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Never been that drunk at an SCA event - there's usually too many other distractions to take part in. Also, the meade I made was 'quick meade' - only ferments overnight - and is safe for man, woman and child. Foamy, honey-sweet, and lemony.

Damn, now I want some again...
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

NOTDilbert wrote:Never been that drunk at an SCA event - there's usually too many other distractions to take part in. Also, the meade I made was 'quick meade' - only ferments overnight - and is safe for man, woman and child. Foamy, honey-sweet, and lemony.

Damn, now I want some again...
Normally, I don't get that drunk, but people kept offering me drinks, and it would be rude to refuse...