Not A Date 2017-01-02

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
TazManiac

Re: Not A Date 2017-01-02

Post by TazManiac »

Gyrrakavian wrote: Well, it is an anime convention. So a bit of tsundere is to be expected.

OK, I hadn't ever heard of that term before, but after a quick look around i can say I have seen it in real life. Best Commercial Aspect I've experienced was Edsel Ford Fung, he of Sam Wo's (of San Francisco's China Town...) fame

Stop. the. presses.

Edsel Ford Fung Has HIS Own Wikipedia entry... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edsel_Ford_Fong

"Sam Wo Restaurant continued to operate in Chinatown until 2012, still listed in one tourist guidebook as being where Fong practiced a "wicked sarcasm [that] took on aspects of performance art".[12] The restaurant announced its temporary closure in April 2012, citing the age of the building and kitchen as a contributing factor in the closure. Sam Wo reopened in 2015 at a new location on Clay Street.[13]"
Grantcmccormick

Post by Grantcmccormick »

As a note, it's almost exactly two years ago Pablo-time that Atsali and Jacob were going to have their date. Then Granma Lily, antimatter explosions, Jessie's brother, and Nadette all happened. I guess that Castela decided to do it more conventionally!
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

TazManiac wrote:
Gyrrakavian wrote: Well, it is an anime convention. So a bit of tsundere is to be expected.

OK, I hadn't ever heard of that term before, but after a quick look around i can say I have seen it in real life. Best Commercial Aspect I've experienced was Edsel Ford Fung, he of Sam Wo's (of San Francisco's China Town...) fame

Stop. the. presses.

Edsel Ford Fung Has HIS Own Wikipedia entry... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edsel_Ford_Fong

"Sam Wo Restaurant continued to operate in Chinatown until 2012, still listed in one tourist guidebook as being where Fong practiced a "wicked sarcasm [that] took on aspects of performance art".[12] The restaurant announced its temporary closure in April 2012, citing the age of the building and kitchen as a contributing factor in the closure. Sam Wo reopened in 2015 at a new location on Clay Street.[13]"
Huhn.
I guess that does count considering the overall definition.

I know it's most commonly used to refer to a character trope in anime, though Helga Pataki's treatment of Arnold does fit the bill. Here's the TVtropes page link.
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Grantcmccormick wrote:As a note, it's almost exactly two years ago Pablo-time that Atsali and Jacob were going to have their date. Then Granma Lily, antimatter explosions, Jessie's brother, and Nadette all happened. I guess that Castela decided to do it more conventionally!
BEEP!

"Please deposit more credits in your PunPal account."
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
eee

Post by eee »

I'm kind of puzzled about Castela having Japanese clothes. Why, and where would she have gotten them? As far as I know the Gilchrist family hasn't gone over there. The only cast member we know of with a connection to Japan is Connie; maybe in between pulling pranks by pretending to be the Woman in White / Road Ghost (the BRAT!!!), she did some shopping for her adopted cousin.

If the Pickle were wise she WOULD be claiming to be engaging in cosplay, and even specify which character she's dressed as. That way Timothy won't realize they're on a not-date until it's too late.

(I still don't get the attraction to Timothy to begin with, though. Is it because he's a lion? Shorter than she is? Hormonal overdrive? He CAN'T be the only boy in her class!!)
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

eee wrote:I'm kind of puzzled about Castela having Japanese clothes. Why, and where would she have gotten them? As far as I know the Gilchrist family hasn't gone over there. The only cast member we know of with a connection to Japan is Connie; maybe in between pulling pranks by pretending to be the Woman in White / Road Ghost (the BRAT!!!), she did some shopping for her adopted cousin.

If the Pickle were wise she WOULD be claiming to be engaging in cosplay, and even specify which character she's dressed as. That way Timothy won't realize they're on a not-date until it's too late.

(I still don't get the attraction to Timothy to begin with, though. Is it because he's a lion? Shorter than she is? Hormonal overdrive? He CAN'T be the only boy in her class!!)
It doesn't have to make sense: it appears that she's in love.

--FreeFlier
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

eee wrote:(I still don't get the attraction to Timothy to begin with, though. Is it because he's a lion? Shorter than she is? Hormonal overdrive? He CAN'T be the only boy in her class!!)
... Annie is 21 years younger than me and in good health- why she finds me so damned attractive I will never understand, but I am not stupid enough to argue the point.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

FreeFlier wrote:It doesn't have to make sense: it appears that she's in love.
Could very well be. The psychological state of limerance (romantic infatuation) isn't at all logical. It often doesn't have much to do with the actual characteristics of the person you're attracted to... just how you perceive him/her. There's a strong tendency to lionize the one that you adore.

Based on Pickle's musings (some time back), even she isn't certain of why she finds Timothy cute/attractive, and why his nattering-on is no longer annoying to her.
illiad

Post by illiad »

FreeFlier wrote:
eee wrote:I'm kind of puzzled about Castela having Japanese clothes. Why, and where would she have gotten them? As far as I know the Gilchrist family hasn't gone over there. The only cast member we know of with a connection to Japan is Connie; maybe in between pulling pranks by pretending to be the Woman in White / Road Ghost (the BRAT!!!), she did some shopping for her adopted cousin.

--FreeFlier
you dont have to 'go over there' there are plenty of shops about! :)
Dave

Post by Dave »

TazManiac wrote:Stop. the. presses.

This is quite hilarious, and it brings back an old memory.

Years ago, a rather avant garde radio personality named Joe Frank had a weekly show "Work In Progress" airing on public radio. He told rather strange stories, and also had some "slice of life" vignettes.

One of the latter was an incident involving a man and a woman meeting for dinner in a Chinese restaurant, and running into a rather off-kilter waiter. The waiter spoke only fractured English, and was quite unhelpful; when asked what was the "Flap Dip Suop" on the menu he replied "Fried flap. Boiled dip. All in suop." (I actually did once encounter a Chinese menu with the typo "suop" some years later, and busted out laughing.) He took the people's order, and then came back a minute later to say "No (whatever)." When the man protested that the waiter had just told him that they had (whatever) that day, his reply was "We have, but we no have."

After the order was finally straightened out, the waiter went away, conversation between the couple resumed, the waiter came back with a tray and said "Here is Flap Dip Suop... IN YOUR LAP!" and dumped the whole tray onto the table, sluicing soup all over the gentleman. The waiter then began laughing maniacally and jumping around the restaurant, overturning tables and creating complete chaos.

On reading the link TazManiac posted, I had to wonder whether Joe Frank ever met Mr. Fong. I forwarded the link to my wife, and she agreed: this was perfect Joe Frank material.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

As long as she doesn't flip from Tsundere to Yandere, we should be good.
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

FreeFlier wrote:
eee wrote:(I still don't get the attraction to Timothy to begin with, though. Is it because he's a lion? Shorter than she is? Hormonal overdrive? He CAN'T be the only boy in her class!!)
Unless Scarlet's assessment is closer to the truth.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

There where actual old menus taped to the wall with hand written notes in them describing how to order; "Be Specific!, Like Pacific Ocean!...".

It didn't make sense, but it made sense...
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

TazManiac wrote:There where actual old menus taped to the wall with hand written notes in them describing how to order; "Be Specific!, Like Pacific Ocean!...".

It made sense . . . for a rather silly value of "sense"?

--FreeFlier
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Yeah, cause if you didn't demand it be 'correct', you could understand the message...

I gotta go back and get me some double-duck chow mein...
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

TazManiac wrote:Yeah, cause if you didn't demand it be 'correct', you could understand the message...
I've seen that described as speaking with spooned tongue . . .

The idea is to communicate without actually making sense.

--FreeFlier
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

FreeFlier wrote:
TazManiac wrote:There where actual old menus taped to the wall with hand written notes in them describing how to order; "Be Specific!, Like Pacific Ocean!...".

It made sense . . . for a rather silly value of "sense"?

--FreeFlier
I think it's upposed to be a spun.