Scarlet 12-20-2016

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

Scarlet 12-20-2016

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
FreeFlier

Re: Scarlet 12-20-2016

Post by FreeFlier »

Nope . . .

Hopefully she's trying to work through it.

--FreeFlier
Dave

Post by Dave »

Seriously mixed messages here.

She's saying he's the one she wants... but at the same instant, she's giving him a verbal brush-off.

If he had seen that himself, I'm sure he'd be confoozed.
AmriloJim
Location: 35ºN 101ºW (for the GPS-challenged, that's Amarillo TX)

Post by AmriloJim »

And as we all know, in bathroom karaoke, the bowl brush is never the microphone.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:Seriously mixed messages here.

She's saying he's the one she wants... but at the same instant, she's giving him a verbal brush-off.

What message would there be if she sang to the plunger?
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sgt. Howard wrote:What message would there be if she sang to the plunger?
I don't think that would work out. It's an instrumental.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Sgt. Howard wrote:

That shes ready to take the plunge?
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Well you never get over your first, unless they do something really awful to you.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

Dave wrote:
Sgt. Howard wrote:What message would there be if she sang to the plunger?
I don't think that would work out. It's an instrumental.
...?... inner city clog dancers?
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
Thor

Post by Thor »

Between Scarlet's grooving to Grease, and Atsali's many AC/DC shirts, one can come to the conclusion that the hot music in the Para world is whatever your grandparents' generation was listening to. :lol:
AnotherFairportfan

Sgt. Howard wrote:

A muted one.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Thor wrote:Between Scarlet's grooving to Grease, and Atsali's many AC/DC shirts, one can come to the conclusion that the hot music in the Para world is whatever your grandparents' generation was listening to. :lol:

Having been to an AC/DC concert and growing up on grease, I think our generational gap is somewhat more severe than I had realized. My grandfather was quite the rebel, listening to all that Big Band music and consorting with flappers.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
Thor wrote:Between Scarlet's grooving to Grease, and Atsali's many AC/DC shirts, one can come to the conclusion that the hot music in the Para world is whatever your grandparents' generation was listening to. :lol:

Having been to an AC/DC concert and growing up on grease, I think our generational gap is somewhat more severe than I had realized. My grandfather was quite the rebel, listening to all that Big Band music and consorting with flappers.
I am SO tempted to go and whack him with my Zimmer frame...I'm amazed he cxan reach the controls on the audio player.

More seriously, one thing exists now that didn't decades ago. Music from previous generations is easily available and quite listenable in digital formats, where as I was growing up old music was hard to take with limited availability and poor reproduction quality.

I listen to everything from dance and techno to Big Band, and classical - and appreciate it all.

{tongue in cheek}
Yes, I own a Victrola. No, I did not buy it new.
{/tongue in cheek}
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Just Old Al wrote:. . .{tongue in cheek}
Yes, I own a Victrola. No, I did not buy it new.
{/tongue in cheek}
It was a factory reconditioned one? ;)

/flrrd/

--FreeFlier
Thor

Post by Thor »

Just Old Al wrote:
ShneekeyTheLost wrote:

I am SO tempted to go and whack him with my Zimmer frame...I'm amazed he cxan reach the controls on the audio player.

More seriously, one thing exists now that didn't decades ago. Music from previous generations is easily available and quite listenable in digital formats, where as I was growing up old music was hard to take with limited availability and poor reproduction quality.
Of course, these sorts of things really don't apply to the Para world.

For one thing, because of magic and/or Tech Of The Ancients, there should be, and probably is, perfect, crystal-clear, surround-sound recordings of music--not only of Lanthis, but of any era where there were active Paras with access to said magi-tech.

For another thing, there are Paras who are hundreds, thousands, or even millions of years old, and chances are very high that during those many many years of trying to keep themselves from getting bored, they learned how to sing, dance, play 17 instruments, and compose, record, and mix music on whatever tech or magi-tech was available.

For a third thing, the Para have long had, before the monkey humans developed their quaint Internet, access to a central repository of ALL media, including unpublished works, known as the Library. This would contain not only current works, and not only grampa music, but all the works of all human (and pre-human, and Para) history, in an easily searchable and accessible collection.

So yes, this would mean that the young Paras could easily listen to, and get enamored of, what the humans were doing 30-40 years ago, it is as likely, if not moreso, that the young Paras would be listening more to modern Para-cultural music, performed by their favorite Para artists of the moment, as well as popular Para music from the near-past all the way back to the Lanthian era. So, less likely to listen to Siouxsie and the Banshees, and more likely to listen to actual banshees.

I'm not saying that young (or old) Paras wouldn't listen to human rock of the 1970s, since they do co-habitate this world with seven billion hairless monkeys, but that the music that they have been shown appreciating is probably a touch over-represented, due to (a very understandable and hard-to-eliminate) authorial bias. After all, why go to all the trouble to establish and explain a band of actual Muses in the limited panel space available, when your audience already has experience with the human band Muse?

This is a limitation of the media that practically demands backstory shortcuts like having the alter-worldly characters just happening to enjoy the same cultural artifacts as the media's audience. That doesn't mean that playfully snarking about it isn't an appropriate response. :P
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Just Old Al wrote:More seriously, one thing exists now that didn't decades ago. Music from previous generations is easily available and quite listenable in digital formats, where as I was growing up old music was hard to take with limited availability and poor reproduction quality.
And there are two other factors that play into it:

1) Sturgeon's Law
2) The ease of publishing nowadays - ANYONE can publish to a mass market - means there is such a plethora of music, there is no such thing as a mainstream of popular contemporary music.

It seems to me that even in stores that obviously cater to teenagers, the single most common sort of music being played is rock "oldies" from the 60s and 70s. But that isn't the majority - merely the most common, competing against old country, young country, techno, grunge, goth, at least two varieties of rap (both of which are incredibly bad IMHO but with a great line here and there), and several others.
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Thor wrote: This is a limitation of the media that practically demands backstory shortcuts like having the alter-worldly characters just happening to enjoy the same cultural artifacts as the media's audience. That doesn't mean that playfully snarking about it isn't an appropriate response. :P
And that's why I snarked right back. :)

Re: Victrola: FreeFlier, no it was not factory reconditioned, it was a trade-in... :)
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
AnotherFairportfan

Speaking of Big Band - Charlie Spivak was the resident bandleader at a club in Greenville SC, when i was growing up there and in the area.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Sgt. Howard wrote:

Well, there always is that one guy....

You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.