Hug You 2016-11-18

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
jwhouk

Hug You 2016-11-18

Post by jwhouk »

Linky

I'm not crying, YOU'RE crying!
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Dave

Re: Hug You 2016-11-18

Post by Dave »

Now that's the sort of user manual every program should come with.

Yeah... teary bleary here-e.
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

No, this did not make me any more teary eyed than watching supergirl talk to the simulation of her mom.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

It's just allergies making my eyes water, really :ugeek: :roll:
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Double servings of extra-strength Dawww with bittersweet syrup and love sprinkles!
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Castela saves.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Zed...

Leucoisia is Canadian? 8-)
donoho

Post by donoho »

My eyes are burning/teary because I just woke up, not because of the feels from an AI with a valid reason to be less than happy with humanity saving itself via a biological fission weapon that follows her instructions to the letter. :p

Ok, maybe a little.

I think her conversations w Kath would be AMAZING, second only to all 4 of them catching up together.
Gyrrakavian

Post by Gyrrakavian »

Opus the Poet wrote:It's just allergies making my eyes water, really :ugeek: :roll:
It's this chaotic Kansas weather for me.

Though, seriously this week has been a temperature yo-yo. 58, 40, 60, 70, 46
"Occam's razor is a fine thing, but the universe is a Rube-Goldberg machine."
Drakkenmensch

Post by Drakkenmensch »

UNLIMITED HUGS PROGRAM.

That? Why yes, I AM crying, why do you ask?
Catawampus

Post by Catawampus »

I wonder if Castela is now going to start remembering things from earlier in her life, perhaps even from before her "elder" sister was born.

And on the subject of Atsali, I wonder what Katherine would feel about Atsali spending time with a simulation of her birth mother; I know that some adoptive parents feel at least some worry about being "replaced" when their kids meet their birth parents. Of course, Katherine herself was adopted and has now spent several years of her adult life happily associating with her own birth mother. . .would that reassure Katherine about her own adopted daughter, or make her even more worried?
eee

Post by eee »

Well, that's amazingly hopeful.

But what about Atsali? Is Castela going to bring her sister here and introduce her to a hologram of her dead mother? This could be... difficult...
Armorlord

Post by Armorlord »

I worry too easily. While I don't feel like Castela would grow overly reliant on this, I think Atsali could grow obsessively attached if she were to be able to load the program at any time. ..Which could result in the program urging Castela to delete her for Atsali's good. :cry:
But hopefully, if such a scenario were to come to pass, Castela would copy or label change instead, maybe password protect.
"Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience." -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Catawampus wrote:And on the subject of Atsali, I wonder what Katherine would feel about Atsali spending time with a simulation of her birth mother; I know that some adoptive parents feel at least some worry about being "replaced" when their kids meet their birth parents. Of course, Katherine herself was adopted and has now spent several years of her adult life happily associating with her own birth mother. . .would that reassure Katherine about her own adopted daughter, or make her even more worried?
I suspect that she would probably want to have a chat with the simulation herself, to find out whether the Library has any sort of hidden agenda and perhaps to set some groundrules for the relationship. She'd also want to make very sure that Atsali was fully aware (emotionally as well as intellectually) that this is a simulation, not truly the ghost of her birth mother.

Other than that... well, from what we've seen, Kath has been a very loving and supportive mother, and not of the overcontrolling "helicopter mother" type... occasionally a bit daunted by the details of raising a couple of unique para girls, but not otherwise insecure in her role.

And, Atsali will soon be 18, the age of legal adulthood (unless rules are different for paras), and at that point she'll probably have full authority to make that decision herself regardless of what Kath might think or say. Kath would surely realize that she might be able to delay Atsali's meeting the sim, but not for very long.

So, my guess is that she'd probably conclude it was a Good Thing that Castela has rediscovered her roots, and would be fine with Atsali putting herself in the queue for a session or two with her holo-birth-mom.

Now, how Atsali actually reacts to the situation is another matter. It may be as difficult for her, as for Castela, to process the emotional weight of the knowledge that Pickle was indirectly the cause of her parents' deaths. This could push the two apart... this is going to be another place where Kath's emotional support is going to be crucial.

It will be interesting to see if, how, and when Castela tells her.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

I have a suspicion that this was a setup on the part of a very intelligent AI researcher who wanted to pull a "Jor-El in the Fortress of Solitude" thing with her "child".

And Phix, being who she is, was more than complicit in keeping it from others - including Atsali.

In short, Leucoisa gamed the system.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Hopefully Castela will have the presence of mind to discuss how to breach the subject with Atsali with Tante Phix and Kath... She seems mature enough to have wanted to know why Atsali had such issues with being left... I can only hope that she's mature enough to know she can't just dump this on Atsali...

Needless to say this is a pretty intelligent AI to be able to create this simulation.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
sheik

Post by sheik »

DilyV wrote:Hopefully Castela will have the presence of mind to discuss how to breach the subject with Atsali with Tante Phix and Kath... She seems mature enough to have wanted to know why Atsali had such issues with being left... I can only hope that she's mature enough to know she can't just dump this on Atsali...

Needless to say this is a pretty intelligent AI to be able to create this simulation.
And our hope and fear about AI it that it will eventually surpass us.
This happened long, long ago off-planet so by now almost all the mistakes have been recognized and corrected for the Library.
And of course it adapts to our limited capacities because of that.
TheDOCTOR
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa. via Gallifrey, in Constallation of Kastaborus

Post by TheDOCTOR »

FEELS. :cry: