Lunch Buddy 2016-07-05

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Dave

Re: Lunch Buddy 2016-07-05

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote:I don't remember jack about Kath's six-part heritage. Like, nothing at all. All I remember about her is that prehistoric art showing a prophecy of a "spider lady" or something.

Could I get a link or explanation?
Sure. All of this came out during the great Mapimi adventure.

Try starting here:

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/my-location/

and read up through the June 6 strip

http://wapsisquare.com/comic/athena-missile-test/

Briefly: Kath and Atsali learned what destroyed the Ethetian civilization (the descendants of the Lanthians). The activation of the World Grid system had triggered a serious volcanic eruption at Kikai (in what is now Japan) and worldwide ecological destruction. The Ethetians tried to flee into stasis: a form of data-storage hibernation arranged by Acacia and Brandi. Due to a design flaw in the system, six different unborn babies, from six different mothers, ended up being shunted into a single storage crystal, and combined somehow into a single being.

The Nu Gui which was possessing Brandi took control, murdered all of the pregnant female Ethetians and their children (retrieving then from stasis in inhospitable places so they would die of exposure) and left the rest of the Ethetians in stasis, conscious but bodiless, to go slowly mad over the centuries.

Atsali learned that the storage crystal with the unborn sixfold child was eventually found in a cave by representatives of the MIB. The child was successfully retrieved and brought to term, and raised by foster parents. This child, grown to adulthood, is Katherine.

One of the six women who were the mothers of the six girls that were combined into one... one of Kath's mothers... did not die permanently. Marooned in the Mapimi desert by the Nu Gui, she died alone... and became a vampire. We know her as Lily. After more than 6000 years of lonely undead existence, she's learned that her loss was not total... that her murdered unborn child still exists as part of Kath... and she's been able to accept Kath and her adopted children Atsali and Castela as her own family.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Catawampus wrote:So, does Katherine have her adult teeth all formed and waiting somewhere in her jaws but just not starting to push through, or did they never form at all?

And is there some fae who goes around collecting the teeth that fall out in the Wapsi universe? If so, might Cricket or Queen Foxglove know of Katherine's tooth condition?
Well, we know there's a boob fairy in Paul's Wapsi world... at least he's drawn her... I suppose a tooth fairy isn't out of the question...

EDIT: I went back through the archives and didn't see it but I do remember Paul did a one off pic of the Boob Fairy... big boobhammer and all...
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

DilyV wrote: . . . EDIT: I went back through the archives and didn't see it but I do remember Paul did a one off pic of the Boob Fairy... big boobhammer and all...
Confirmed.

I have a copy somewhere.

--FreeFlier
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Alkarii: you could also read about her adventures here or here...

:D ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

Man, looking through that old story I can't believe how vastly different Atsali, and especially Castela look now.

I mean, then,now.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

That's what we call artist growth. ;)
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Artist growth is healthy and good, even if it disquiets some of the readers.

The alternative is Blondie Garfield's Family Circle, for better or worse . . . .
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.