People Assume 2015-03-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

People Assume 2015-03-26

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Atsali's not as clueless as she claims she is.

Link
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
kingklash

Re: People Assume 2015-03-26

Post by kingklash »

All things considered, if I had a pair like those coming at me in a angry rush, Sex would be the last thing on my mind, as I would be too busy avoiding the oncoming stampede/avalanche threatening to bounce me into the next county.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Jin (thinking): "She's only 16. She's only 16. She's only 16...."
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Jin has what still appears to be late-teens early 20s physical body, and I don't think that she plays for that team anyway.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
Akamar

Post by Akamar »

Opus the Poet wrote:Jin has what still appears to be late-teens early 20s physical body, and I don't think that she plays for that team anyway.
Bi-the-way seems to be a common trope in this comic.
TazManiac

Post by TazManiac »

Atsali is not being fair, not even a little bit; there is a biological imperative I'd be suppressing to comply with the point she's trying to make.

(Despite the fact that this a fictional character, I further comment...)

Atsali is at Ground Zero, she's extremely sensitive to every look and perceived thought she just 'knoooows' people are thinking about her, and sometimes shes likely right, but damn Jin has a point... (I'm directly referring to yesterdays 'point', you know; the fine art?)

OK, I stayed up late enough to catch the next day's entry, time to retire for the evening with a Sierra Nevada Torpedo and a choice of 'Dae Jang Guem' or 'West Wing' rerun.
(my tastes range widely/wildly...)
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

So ... what was that little mini-adventure the Clueless Wonder and her sidekick, Inappropriate Care Bear went on all about? Was it merely a vehicle to bring out Nadette's feelings about Atsali? Just seems like that arc went nowhere. We're back to Atsali's body image (again). Maybe I'm missing something here or there will be a tie-in eventually.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AnotherFairportfan wrote:Atsali's not as clueless as she claims she is.

Link
Either that, or she suffers from selective obliviousness/cluelessness...
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

We have already seen that Atsali is sensitive to siren stereotypes, so she might see people projecting even when they aren't.
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
tombone

Post by tombone »

I'm curious why Atsali is having this conversation with Jin instead of with Monica - after all she is the one who had the major self-consciousness issues regarding her body during her teen years.
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

Opus the Poet wrote:Jin has what still appears to be late-teens early 20s physical body, and I don't think that she plays for that team anyway.
Vs sirens, I suspect that counts for naught :shock:
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

lake_wrangler wrote:

Link
my guess, she is aware enough to read up on her heritage is find out the common perceptions/stereotypes/assumptions/tropes(?) that the rest of the paranormal community has about Sirens.

Atsali is probably also quite capable of understanding' peoples interactions with each other and any emotional exchanges.

What she is clueless (probably a defensive survival trait inherited via both her parents?) about is 'reading' peoples emotions when those emotions are directed at her.
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

tombone wrote:I'm curious why Atsali is having this conversation with Jin instead of with Monica - after all she is the one who had the major self-consciousness issues regarding her body during her teen years.
From Atsali's point of view, Jin is the one she wants to learn from.
  • Aunt Monica can be quite affected by what people think about her
  • Aunt Jin doesn't give a [REDACTED] what people think about her
  • Atsali is deeply affect by what people think about her
  • Atsali wants to learn how not to not give a [REDACTED] what people think about her
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

Atsali know what people think of both sides of her family tree. She also knows what she can do to others both on purpose and accidentally. I think what she wants Jin to teach her is how not to care what she does to others. The main problem with that is Jin isnt like that anymore.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
illiad

Post by illiad »

Grantwhy wrote:
lake_wrangler wrote:

Link
my guess, she is aware enough to read up on her heritage is find out the common perceptions/stereotypes/assumptions/tropes(?) that the rest of the paranormal community has about Sirens.

Atsali is probably also quite capable of understanding' peoples interactions with each other and any emotional exchanges.

What she is clueless (probably a defensive survival trait inherited via both her parents?) about is 'reading' peoples emotions when those emotions are directed at her.
Geez.. I know a GUY that has the problem... He is so busy vocally moaning about all the stuff that go on around him, he cannot seem to hear the answers people are giving!!!

Atsali is not at all clueless, she just seems to be 'socially blind' - she cannot see the signs of people trying to 'make contact' with her...
Gavote

Post by Gavote »

illiad wrote:Geez.. I know a GUY that has the problem... he is so busy vocally moaning about all the stuff that go on around him, he cannot seem to hear the answers people are giving!!!
Atsali is not at all clueless, she just seems to be 'socially blind' - she cannot see the signs of people trying to 'make contact' with her...
I very nearly am that guy. I'm not much of a talker, but the social reverse tunnel vision...oh yeah. Most flirting and the like, go right over my head, clean miss. Yet I have no trouble seeing it all around me.
Dr. Otter

Post by Dr. Otter »

kingklash wrote:All things considered, if I had a pair like those coming at me in a angry rush, Sex would be the last thing on my mind, as I would be too busy avoiding the oncoming stampede/avalanche threatening to bounce me into the next county.
Yeah, right...
Be the role model she'll always remember. Be a Girl Scout volunteer today!
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Grantwhy wrote:
tombone wrote:I'm curious why Atsali is having this conversation with Jin instead of with Monica - after all she is the one who had the major self-consciousness issues regarding her body during her teen years.
From Atsali's point of view, Jin is the one she wants to learn from.
  • Aunt Monica can be quite affected by what people think about her
  • Aunt Jin doesn't give a [REDACTED] what people think about her
  • Atsali is deeply affect by what people think about her
  • Atsali wants to learn how not to not give a [REDACTED] what people think about her
Not even close for Sali. She wants to know how NOT to be so oblivious to others around her, not how to develop a give-a-shit attitude about their feelings. Jin is very good at that attitude as she mostly just uses people as she needs to, just like Bia. So why does Sali think Jin can help her to be aware of the feelings of others?
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

KnightDelight wrote:So ... what was that little mini-adventure the Clueless Wonder and her sidekick, Inappropriate Care Bear went on all about? Was it merely a vehicle to bring out Nadette's feelings about Atsali? Just seems like that arc went nowhere. We're back to Atsali's body image (again). Maybe I'm missing something here or there will be a tie-in eventually.
1. Further establishes that Sali is going to be prone to jumping without looking for a long time. She seems like a slow learner.
2. Resolves the mini-arc of Nadette deciding to make a play for Sali after getting her set up with Jason.
3. Introduces information that not all the Ethians were totally insane.
4. Removes all traces of the archives under Malpasi.
5. Gives us something to talk about.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

shadowinthelight wrote:Jin (thinking): "She's only 16. She's only 16. She's only 16...."
Sali is not dabbler and does not know how to cast a glamour! All Sali did was call BS on Jin for tossing out a platitude.