On edge like this 2014-08-27

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
AnotherFairportfan

On edge like this 2014-08-27

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

Yay Suzi. Friends tell friends the unpleasant truths.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
shadowinthelight

Re: On edge like this 2014-08-27

Post by shadowinthelight »

You're good enough, you're smart enough, and doggone it, people like you!
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

It was a truth I was not expecting.
Dave

Post by Dave »

If Suzi is correct, then Lily seems to have really internalized the "vampires are worthless garbage" prejudice. I suppose that 5000 years of living a "keep your head down, stay unnoticed, or the Big Guys will rip you to shreds" lifestyle could do that.

A tough gig, indeed. Learning to trust again (the other paranormals, and yourself), and to believe that something more is possible, would be difficult and very unsettling after all of that time... it would mean having to give up the defensive patterns you've developed, which have successfully kept you not-entirely-dead for many centuries. One hell of a risk... and as Kosh said, "When you've lived as long as I have, you kinda get used to it."
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

Granma Lily needs a visit from a certain tumblyweed. Some unrelenting, unsolicited, unstoppable, Love from a little kid can do wonders for one's attitude about the world.
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

kingklash wrote:Granma Lily needs a visit from a certain tumblyweed. Some unrelenting, unsolicited, unstoppable, Love from a little kid can do wonders for one's attitude about the world.
I'll second that emotion. Poor Lily! :( Though I'll take this moment to disagree with Suzi, just to say that I don't believe Lily looks terrible.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

i kinda think her logic is something like this quote.

So this is it," said Arthur, "We are going to die."
"Yes," said Ford, "except... no! Wait a minute!" He suddenly lunged across the chamber at something behind Arthur's line of vision. "What's this switch?" he cried.
"What? Where?" cried Arthur, twisting round.
"No, I was only fooling," said Ford, "we are going to die after all.”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I find it interesting that McBride looks well-fed and pretty healthy, while Pratt looks like a famine victim. Can a vampire starve to death in the Wapsiverse?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
TheCollector

Post by TheCollector »

Opus the Poet wrote:I find it interesting that McBride looks well-fed and pretty healthy, while Pratt looks like a famine victim. Can a vampire starve to death in the Wapsiverse?
I dunno, but on the this subject, I actually love that Suzie has a bit of chub on her, I love that about her, that's she's not like a stick. I dunno why, but I really like it.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

I'm going to have to go back and reread a whole lot of story, but I think Lily is suffering from "Survivors Syndrome".
General depression, not eating (blood), loss of will and desire to take care appearance.
After 5000 years she saw the end of her race, her people, and her civilization and she may feel some responsibility or guilt for not doing something to prevent it.
At least I'm going to have to go back and re-examine that whole story section and see if that could be a possible reaction for "Grandma Lily" in relation to her role in that escapade.
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

TheCollector wrote:
Opus the Poet wrote:I find it interesting that McBride looks well-fed and pretty healthy, while Pratt looks like a famine victim. Can a vampire starve to death in the Wapsiverse?
I dunno, but on the this subject, I actually love that Suzie has a bit of chub on her, I love that about her, that's she's not like a stick. I dunno why, but I really like it.
Pablowapsi draws real people - pot bellies and all. Yay!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

No. She can be killed but not starved. They are already dead. What Lily is in anorexic right now, not eating enough blood to keep the body going correctly. So she looks like a any teenager trying to live on 50 calories a day.

I am not sure Suzi is totally right. While Lily is not used to anyone caring about her this is something she's lived with for a long time. I suspect part of what scares her is now having a family and something to care about. She is one of Kathy's mothers and is Nana Lily to the terrible tumbleweed Pickle. After 5000+ years of being alone and not having to care about anything, suddenly she has something to care about. She also has something to be afraid of losing. How do you deal with emotions that were dead and buried so long ago you forgot about them. Not an easy thing to do.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Terrible Tumbleweed? Turbine-powered maybe, but I wouldn't call Pickle Terrible... she's far too kewt for that! It sounds to me like Lily is suffering from a 5000 year delayed post-partum depression... I was thinking too... We know from Suzi that vampires are created when a person dies forgotten. Could it be that Lily is the mother of ALL vampires in the Wapsi universe? Has that idea been entertained yet?
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

I've been thinking that Lily is becoming undone because of all the people caring about her. If a vampire is created by being forgotten, could it be that a vampire is "killed" by caring. The more people who remember her and care about her, the less of a vampire she becomes and the closer she gets to being dead again? Especially by actual family members. This may be why she is being affected and not Suzi. Suzi is not related to the others and is also not being heaped with attention and love. Not to mention she has been a vampire for a lot shorter time. Direct familial love and remembrance may be Lily's Achilles heel. She may know this and is trying to avoid being loved and stay away from her relatives. She is fading away, thus her appearance, and all the blood in the world isn't going to help. Also would explain why she is getting drunk, having sex, and whatever while she can. Getting in her last hurrahs.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

KnightDelight wrote:I've been thinking that Lily is becoming undone because of all the people caring about her. If a vampire is created by being forgotten, could it be that a vampire is "killed" by caring. The more people who remember her and care about her, the less of a vampire she becomes and the closer she gets to being dead again? Especially by actual family members. This may be why she is being affected and not Suzi. Suzi is not related to the others and is also not being heaped with attention and love. Not to mention she has been a vampire for a lot shorter time. Direct familial love and remembrance may be Lily's Achilles heel. She may know this and is trying to avoid being loved and stay away from her relatives. She is fading away, thus her appearance, and all the blood in the world isn't going to help. Also would explain why she is getting drunk, having sex, and whatever while she can. Getting in her last hurrahs.
Interesting speculation. The problem I see is that vampires can care about others. Suzi cares about Lily doesn't she. If caring is all it took then I think this would have happened before. Not all vampires will reject caring or love if they find it. Dyinh alone and forgotten may create one but the mental attitude is not a permanent one unless the person maintains it. Not every vampire can stay that way. If this has happened before to other vampires the word would spread and they would know what is going on. Right now all Suzi know is that Lily is hurting herself and wants to help. Why Lily is turning self destructive is another question. I like several of the guesses made. We;ll just have to wait and see. But Lily is on a self destructive spiral. The signs are there. Smoking, casual sex, not eating, bad attitude towards people trying to help. Avoiding those who care.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
cmdrpowers

Post by cmdrpowers »

DilyV wrote:Terrible Tumbleweed? Turbine-powered maybe, but I wouldn't call Pickle Terrible... she's far too kewt for that! It sounds to me like Lily is suffering from a 5000 year delayed post-partum depression... I was thinking too... We know from Suzi that vampires are created when a person dies forgotten. Could it be that Lily is the mother of ALL vampires in the Wapsi universe? Has that idea been entertained yet?
You mean like "Lilith"? 8-)
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

zachariah wrote: Interesting speculation. The problem I see is that vampires can care about others. Suzi cares about Lily doesn't she. If caring is all it took then I think this would have happened before.
Right, that's why I said family members caring and remembering. Lily has an actual blood relation family member (Kath-one sixth her daughter) caring about her. That close, direct connection could make all the difference in these mystical magical machinations. Blood being the main "thing" where vampires are concerned after all. Being cared about by another vampire may not even count.
cmdrpowers wrote: You mean like "Lilith"? 8-)
That could be. Lily=Lilith. As DillyV said, the mother of all vampires. She's been around long enough to be who spawned all those legends.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
oldmanmickey

Post by oldmanmickey »

To suddenly go from no strings attached care free vampire to mother/grand mother/ what ever granny after 5000+ years would be enough to throw anyone off their game. as for the lilly/lilith thing i wondered that for a while convinced myself i was seeing things that wernt there.
Dear, don’t bore him with trivia or burden him with your past mistakes. The happiest way to deal with a man is never to tell him anything he does not need to know. L. Long
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

oldmanmickey wrote:...i wondered that for a while convinced myself i was seeing things that wernt there.
They have medicines for that now...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Aed

Post by Aed »

Jabberwonky wrote:
oldmanmickey wrote:...i wondered that for a while convinced myself i was seeing things that wernt there.
They have medicines* for that now...
There are also medications to prevent that. :lol:

*The URL link is mine