About That 2014-03-03

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

Re: About That 2014-03-03

Post by DilyV »

Well crap... I was going to post a pic of Darth Vader with the caption, "Bia, I Am Your Father..." But it says the board quota has been reached... sighs... Oh well, it woulda been good... hehe
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

It's usually not just Wikipedia editors that don't agree; most of the time, their sources don't either.

In the comic though, we have Euryale's words: "Bia, daughter of Pallas and Styx" - http://wapsisquare.com/comic/self-healing/

... say, is Bia now going to be a fixture of U296, indefinitely?

... definitely? 8-)
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Akasha

Post by Akasha »

From Wikipedia:
Pallas (Πάλλας) is a Titan, killed by Athena in the contest to fight for Zeus. Most sources indicate that he was the son of Crius and Eurybia, the brother of Astraeus and Perses, and the husband of Styx. He was the father of Zelus, Nike, Kratos, and Bia
indeed. an interesting combination of names there,

Zήλος -- ardour, fervency, eagerness, keenness, elan, and of course zeal, where zealotry comes from as well ...
Κράτος -- i like this one, because in it's ancient greek meaning it is the personification of raw force in any context, in modern greek it means state, like in the federal state of ... whatever, alaska. make up your own mind about the hidden meaning in that one ;)
Νίκη -- victory
and of course,
Βία, same word in ancient greek as in modern, violence.

what a happy family :) thanksgiving must have been a ball, every time.
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Well Paul, you certainly know how to drop a bomb. We not only find out that some of us were right and Shelly is a relative of Tina's but we get a redemption of Bia cycle as well. Wait till she meets up with her widower.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Opus the Poet wrote:"Someone perceived as an adult"? This could get interesting. Connie is among the oldest people there, but physically resembles a pre-pubescent female, could she send Bia home? And why or why not?
Phyx is way older, she predates the original time loop.

May not even be tied to our continuum, in which case she could even be over 15 billion years old, give or take a few eons.
While misery loves company, chaos brings along friends.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Mark N wrote:Wait till she meets up with her widower.
Shelly: "Hi dad. You're a sphinx and this little girl here is your dead wife."
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

Good night! She is a busy little procreator. Have to wonder how many other characters in the group are descended from her in one way or another.

The others may be less inclined to punch Bia to the moon (literally) in her child form so that may work to her advantage. In turn, she may not be able to do as much damage to them either. Anyway, so Tina had titan blood as well. Could explain how she was able to resurrect herself in the first place. Even with Nudge on board, it is not something your average Jane Toe-Tag would be able to do. Who knows, maybe Dad is resurrected somewhere as well. Thanks to the Titan blood, it may be a family trait and not unique to Tina. I suppose Tina's ancestor may have been one of those failed experiments Bia referred to previously. The experiment she finally got right with Shelly.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

shadowinthelight wrote:
"...and you many-times-great grandmother, too."
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I like Tina's choice of words: "...not a very amiable place ..."
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

Bia can't leave until she is given permission. Something tells me she is going to have to do a LOT of explaining before that happens. Probably time to heal up some holes in the plot, or open some new cans of worms.

Or maybe Bia is hoping someone will tell her to "Go to Hell", and use that as way out.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

jwhouk wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:Most online reference i found on a quick google say that Pallas is her father.
Including the Wapsi Square Cast of Characters reference. :oops:
Euryale says that Bia is the "daughter of Pallas and Styx," so I think we've got the Wapsi Square version. I just added the note to the wiki's character page (which, dang, could use some trimming or organizing).
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
jeffepp

Post by jeffepp »

I figured that most of the post-cataclysm cast is a descendent of Bia. Those born before that, of course, wouldn't be.

And, I'm of the opinion that Shelly's dad knows quite a bit about all this. He did grow up in the library.
KnightDelight

Post by KnightDelight »

shadowinthelight wrote:
**Dad breathes a sigh of relief.**
Dad: 'Thank God you finally found out. Now I can stop pretending I don't know what's going on.
DANGEROUSLY UNDER-MEDICATED
If we are what we eat, then I'm easy, fast, and cheap
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

KnightDelight wrote:**Dad breathes a sigh of relief.**
Dad: 'Thank God you finally found out. Now I can stop pretending I don't know what's going on.
And maybe someone can finally ask him the never answered question: "So, Mr. Wahnee...what's your first name, anyway?"
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Fairportfan wrote:
jwhouk wrote:
JSStryker wrote:Okay, why does it say Zeus is her dad in her WP entry?
Because the Wikipedia editors can't agree?

Most online reference i found on a quick google say that Pallas is her father.

THIS is why people distrust WP so much.. worse they think mistakenly its all wrong :roll: - I can see that celebrity entries are fiddled with to extreme, I even heard it on TV! - "they keep getting it wrong, I have to regularly delete my entry!!"

BUT if it is about boring technical stuff, the nutters don't touch it - so it's far better than searching for a good ref on google... :mrgreen:

Truth is, even RL history is meddled with... modified to make heroes.. name any book, (even the *oldest* one... :/ ) and there will be bad translations, bad interpretations, and changes to match the mood of the period!!!! :x

there is a wartime story of a military hero, that died in the arms of a woman.. it was hushed up, and his body taken to the battlefield, so they could say he 'died gloriously in battle' - at least it improved morale of the troops...
Last edited by illiad on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Wyvern wrote:And maybe someone can finally ask him the never answered question: "So, Mr. Wahnee...what's your first name, anyway?"
Perhaps it is one of those names that should never be spoken by mortal men.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

This may be wishful thinking but I'm setting up the white board in the confusion corner in hopes that a number of interpersonal relationships and possible plot links are about to be revealed. Gentlebeings, man the recorders!
If I Knew What I Was Doing I'd Be Dangerous.
Nov shmoz ka pop?
nerf-dweller

Post by nerf-dweller »

Mark N wrote:Well Paul, you certainly know how to drop a bomb. We not only find out that some of us were right and Shelly is a relative of Tina's but we get a redemption of Bia cycle as well. Wait till she meets up with her widower.
Anf it's only Monday. This week is going to be one heck of a ride.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

BTW: Is Castela related to Bia? They seem to have the same conversational style...
=====================
=====================
mike weber
My2Cents

Post by My2Cents »

It occurs to me that on careful examination of Bia’s explanation of the terms of her presence that she may be in for more than she expects. She seems to be acting like a child forced to apologize and is only going through the motions because she is ordered to. She thinks once she gets permission to leave it’s over, but it may not be.
  1. He turned me back into a child until I learn my lesson.” -- open ended. Depends on the lesson, which may be that people aren’t pawns. That will be a hard one for her.
  2. I can only leave a location after receiving permission from a perceived adult.” -- Key word is ‘perceived’, which probably means in Bia’s perception. Frankly, she doesn’t perceive any one of them, except maybe Phix, as an adult, so she could be stuck there a while. And it’s a location not just U296. Specify a destination as part of the permission and she may have no choice except to comply.
I suspect that the gang will be stuck with Bia for a while (good thing they all have multi-century lifespans now), and she may need a mentor and disciplinarian as well -- i.e. a parent, and another adoption. Which will it be Monica (why me?), Shelly (to many issues), or Tina? This is going to be interesting.

Atsali would be gaining a classmate in this too. Bound to be rough, Bia is certain to be biased against Sirens. In fact she is likely to look down on all of her classmates. Sounds like lesson #2 to me.