New coast-to-coast speed record - 98mph average

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

New coast-to-coast speed record - 98mph average

Post by Fairportfan »

Cannonball Run and common sense record shattered in less than 29 hours
Peter Braun/DigitalTrends wrote: Burt Reynolds would be rolling over in his grave…if he were dead…and if he weren’t planning on being frozen for the enjoyment of future generations of bleached blonde beach bunnies. That’s because the Cannonball Run record for driving coast to coast just got smashed.

According to CNN, Atlanta native Ed Boilan managed to drive from Red Ball Garage in New York City to the Portofino Hotel in Redondo Beach, California in 28 hours, 50 minutes and about 30 seconds.

Apparently Boilan had been obsessed with the idea of the Cannonball run since high school and had even interviewed Brock Yates – one of the original participants – in the Sea to Shining Sea Memorial Trophy Dash for a school project.

Boilan perhaps should have listened to Yates’ opening lines in the film wherein he referred to his exploits on Cannonball Run, “You all are certainly the most distinguished group of highway scofflaws and degenerates ever gathered together in one place.”

That may not be an exaggeration because to accomplish this feat Boilan, his co-driver Dave Black, and assistant Dan Huang, averaged 98 mph including the 40 minutes they spent stopped. Averaging a reckless driving charge for almost 28 hours is no mean feat, and certainly one to proudly recount to your grandchildren from the visiting room of your local penitentiary.

The car itself may not have been completely legal for the drive either. To reduce the amount of time spent stopped at filling stations, the Mercedes CL55 AMG was fitted with an additional 44 gallons of fuel tanks mounted in the trunk.

To avoid getting caught by the police, Boilan employed police scanners, laser jammers, radar detectors, and a kill switch on the rear lights. He also commissioned a radar jammer, though it wasn’t delivered in time for the run.

Original photo caption:
Ed Boilan center, shows the sort of smugness you can only get by endangering others for 29 solid hours
And if adding enough stealth technology to blow through the average third-world air defense network wasn’t enough, Boilan spent $9,000 in maintenance and upgrades on his rolling felony.

All this, and a good helping of luck, was enough to break the previous record set in 2006 by a modified M5 by over two hours.

Thankfully no one was hurt, and, fortunately for Boilan, the only time they got pulled over was turning the wrong way down a one-way street shortly before they set off.

If that officer had known what they were attempting, Boilan and his comrades would have been lucky if they didn’t wind up wearing automotive boots, instead they just got a stern warning.

So just remember kids: It’s always okay to put other people’s safety at risk if you are inspired by lunatics from the ‘70s and a bad Burt Reynolds movie.
<story at CNN>

I was ... shall we say ... a bit annoyed by the article's tone and some of the statements therein, so i posted this reply:

Fairportfan wrote: Cannonball Run is the name of the bad movies – which would have just been called Cannonball if Roger Corman hadn’t gotten there first – with a better movie (one of the high points of which is seeing Sly Stallone squashed like a bug).

The actual event – which Yates founded, not merely participated in – was “The Cannonball Baker Sea to Shining Sea Memorial Trophy Dash”, and the first “running” was just Yates and Dan Gurney in a more-or-less ordinary Ferrari.

I’ll say this – i’m not sure about laser jammers (either their legality or whether they’d actually work) – but if they’d had a radar jammer, and been caught using it in furtherance of what would possibly be felony reckless driving, its possession might well have garnered them a bit more time on any sentences, since that one is a federal offence.

(Of course, speeding on an Interstate is technically a federal misdemeanor, too.)

Understand me – i am not criticising them for simply doing what they did – it would be hypocritical of me to even think about it, since my roommate in the 70s and i (when we were about this guy’s age, i think) spent a fair amount of time trying to figure out if we could manage to enter the original Cannonball, but finally gave up the idea on a logistics (read: money) basis.

Actually, as an Atlantan myself, i’d say these guys did less to “endanger the public” than about twenty-five percent of the drivers you encounter on Atlanta’s expressways every day.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Atomic

Re: New coast-to-coast speed record - 98mph average

Post by Atomic »

Lest we forget, The Gumball Rally!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Gumball Rally was based on Yates' "race", but was not official. Cannonball Run was the official/sanctioned one.

The "official" Cannonball record was 32 hours 51 minutes, set back in 1979.

EDIT: Theoretically, if you were driving all night and could minimize stops for gas, you could run the distance in about 35 hours.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Well, you can do Houston to Detroit in about 24 hours, obeying the speed limits, and not stopping for more than a fill-up.

My "record" was two days of driving. I don't push things, not like the nutball woman I met who used to make the same drive _by herself_ in one 24 hour shot about once a month.
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

You could make up a LOT of time once you got west of the Mississippi. There are stretches of highway in the Plains states that would allow you to go all-out.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Bookworm wrote:Well, you can do Houston to Detroit in about 24 hours, obeying the speed limits, and not stopping for more than a fill-up.
Google Maps suggests nineteen to twenty hours.
My "record" was two days of driving. I don't push things, not like the nutball woman I met who used to make the same drive _by herself_ in one 24 hour shot about once a month.
I did Hartford CT to Atlanta in eighteen hours, including a nap in back of a gas station. Google Maps suggests fourteen to fifteen hours.

I once did Atlanta to somewhere-i-can't-recall-the-name-of Virginia*, a distance of 360 miles, in five hours flat.

I think the scariest drive i ever did (in retrospect) was Norcross GA to New Orleans. I don't remember how long it actually took; i do know that, based on previous experience, i expected that, leaving just after work on Friday, i could arrive in New Orleans comfortably in time to catch some friends playing at Jimmy's (Dash Rip Rock - they were the headline).

I arrived with time to spare before the opening act came on.

I'm guessing that the entire run (including time for a meal at Burger King) took about seven hours. Google maps lists the distance as 490 miles and says seven hours. That's a seventy MPH average, which requires actual speeds around eighty to ninety for a goodly part of the way.

That was about twenty-five years ago. I was Very Young.

Even though i was in my late thirties.

=========================

* Abingdon. I just remembered.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Then there was Lisa Nowak's famed drive from Houston to Orlando...
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Julie

Post by Julie »

Bookworm wrote:Well, you can do Houston to Detroit in about 24 hours, obeying the speed limits, and not stopping for more than a fill-up.
But why would you want to? :P

Honestly, I think that this kind of thing is (while interesting as a concept) is so reckless that the article about it after the fact should be sufficient to at least levy fines on the participants. If they had gotten participation from law enforcement so that there could potentially be warnings or other safety measures put in place, that would be one thing, but doing this under the radar was dangerous and foolish...and shouldn't be applauded.

Just my two cents...
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Julie wrote:

Honestly, I think that this kind of thing is (while interesting as a concept) is so reckless that the article about it after the fact should be sufficient to at least levy fines on the participants. If they had gotten participation from law enforcement so that there could potentially be warnings or other safety measures put in place, that would be one thing, but doing this under the radar was dangerous and foolish...and shouldn't be applauded.

Just my two cents...
We men do dangerous and foolish things for the continued existence of the human race.
If us men's didn't have the gene to do dangerous and foolish things, we'd never ask women out on dates. No dates, no hook-ups, no hook-ups, no sex, no sex, no little peoples to carry the torch.

On behalf of men's everwhere, you're welcome. :P
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

No little peoples to drive their grandfather crazy.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Fairportfan wrote:No little peoples to drive their grandfather crazy.
I get the feeling that wouldn't be a coast to coast run...
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Not even a long putt.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Julie

Post by Julie »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Julie wrote:

Just my two cents...
We men do dangerous and foolish things for the continued existence of the human race.
If us men's didn't have the gene to do dangerous and foolish things, we'd never ask women out on dates. No dates, no hook-ups, no hook-ups, no sex, no sex, no little peoples to carry the torch.

On behalf of men's everwhere, you're welcome. :P
:P There's dangerous and foolish (which can be entertaining and at times even attractive) and then there's endangering others by being dangerous and foolish...and that's the part that bothers me. :) For what it's worth...I LOVE fast cars...and being in fast cars...and, even more so, driving fast cars. I just feel much more comfortable knowing that the fast cars are restricted to special tracks where I'm not in danger (when driving my normal car on a normal road) of being part of a very high speed collision. When the dangerous stuff moves to a place where I feel like I shouldn't be in that kind of danger, I tend to flip out. :D
"Just open your eyes
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Julie wrote: There's dangerous and foolish (which can be entertaining and at times even attractive) and then there's endangering others by being dangerous and foolish...and that's the part that bothers me. For what it's worth...I LOVE fast cars...and being in fast cars...and, even more so, driving fast cars. I just feel much more comfortable knowing that the fast cars are restricted to special tracks where I'm not in danger (when driving my normal car on a normal road) of being part of a very high speed collision. When the dangerous stuff moves to a place where I feel like I shouldn't be in that kind of danger, I tend to flip out.
I don't disagree with you. I have two friends who's driving I trust at any speed. I also have friends that I always suggest "That's okay, I'll drive." I see idiots every day I drive and wish that there was a way to 'like/dislike' peoples driving.
That being said, I am a mens that loves loud/fast machines and the Coast to Coast Run has a strong romantic appeal. But, being a realist, I know that it's something I'll never do. And it's something that I wouldn't reccomend for anyone to do.
(Still sounds like fun though.)
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Julie wrote::P There's dangerous and foolish (which can be entertaining and at times even attractive) and then there's endangering others by being dangerous and foolish...and that's the part that bothers me. :) For what it's worth...I LOVE fast cars...and being in fast cars...and, even more so, driving fast cars. I just feel much more comfortable knowing that the fast cars are restricted to special tracks where I'm not in danger (when driving my normal car on a normal road) of being part of a very high speed collision. When the dangerous stuff moves to a place where I feel like I shouldn't be in that kind of danger, I tend to flip out. :D
I hear you on speed. Back in the day I did a teensy bit of street racing. It's amazing how many of those individuals still do it, and are amazed that now I have a child I won't do it(no matter how much money they throw up).
When my son asked me about it, I told him quite frankly, that yes, I did in fact street race my car, and that it was VERY late at night when folks were NOT driving normally, and that I will NOT do it when the safety of people is an issue, and NEVER do it when he is with me, so unless it is on a racetrack, probably never again. Was it fun? Yes. Do I miss it? Rarely, because there is no greater thrill than being a parent(at least to me).
The last time I went really fast in a car was when test driving a few(My Mother has an acquaintance that owns a Ford/Toyota dealership). He asked me to help "break in" a few of his new dealers, so I got to fly around in the early AM one weekend with performance cars(my best friend went with and watched my son while I took out the big ones, then she got a turn while I watched hers).

There are some things more important than the cheap thrill of adrenaline, and being a parent to my son is the most important one.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

DinkyInky wrote:There are some things more important than the cheap thrill of adrenaline, and being a parent to my son is the most important one.
What about a lifetime of bragging rights?
=====================
=====================
mike weber
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Fairportfan wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:There are some things more important than the cheap thrill of adrenaline, and being a parent to my son is the most important one.
He's eight. When he's 13, I'll think about it.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Julie

Post by Julie »

DinkyInky wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:
Such a good Mom. :)
"Just open your eyes
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Julie wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:What about a lifetime of bragging rights?
Such a good Mom. :)
:oops: awwww, thanks Miss Julie!

He keeps me safe and sane(even when he's bouncing off the walls trying to drive me insane), so it balances.

We do however, race his RC F&F(Fast and the Furious) cars in the garage(that kid is the drift king of the RC world).

Thus far, he's kicked my butt every time. :p

--Safyr Drathmir