Sherlock

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Jabberwonky

Sherlock

Post by Jabberwonky »

Last Friday, my DOR (Day Of Rest, code for Day Off... :roll:) I watched several episodes of 'Sherlock' and was pretty impressed. Judging by the 9.2 star rating at IMDB I'm not the only one.
I watched the Series One pilot, A Study in Pink, The Blind Banker and The Great Game. I got so into the show, that it was distracting me from pootin' around with my goony art projects. (I normally use television as background noise, only looking up when things get explody)
I started with quite a bit of 'whatever' and was looking to see how they were going to channel the spirit of Holmes into a modern day body, but started to be intrigued when I realized it was just what if Holmes were a young man now. It's been ages since I've read any Doyle's original stories so I can't vouch for accuracy, but I certainly enjoyed the first series.
I'm looking forward to watching more of this.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Leak

Re: Sherlock

Post by Leak »

I've only seen the first episode (well, I have all six on Blu-Ray), and I liked it, but I'm also a fan of Elementary - another present day adaption of Sherlock Holmes, although it's about Johnny Lee Miller as Sherlock romping around New York, and his Watson happens to be called Joan Watson, is his sober companion and is played by Lucy Liu... :)

But then again it's 24 episodes per season versus the 3 (though 90 minute long) episodes of Sherlock, so there's more room for character development. And I'm honestly quite tired of the 90 minute format that's so prevalent in European crime series (Tatort, I'm looking at you...); often it feels like what would have worked fine in 45 minutes got dragged out to double that, and it's still not what one would consider a movie...
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Leak wrote:I've only seen the first episode (well, I have all six on Blu-Ray), and I liked it, but I'm also a fan of Elementary - another present day adaption of Sherlock Holmes, although it's about Johnny Lee Miller as Sherlock romping around New York, and his Watson happens to be called Joan Watson, is his sober companion and is played by Lucy Liu... :)

But then again it's 24 episodes per season versus the 3 (though 90 minute long) episodes of Sherlock, so there's more room for character development. And I'm honestly quite tired of the 90 minute format that's so prevalent in European crime series (Tatort, I'm looking at you...); often it feels like what would have worked fine in 45 minutes got dragged out to double that, and it's still not what one would consider a movie...
That's a problem I have with a lot of America series pilots. It's like a regular episode stretched out to fill a 90 min. time slot. I haven't gotten that feeling with Sherlock, though.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Series 2 episode one...be prepared for a brain'splosion in the beginning.

My son and I are anxiously awaiting the third series to air(I am trying to figure out how to make the BBC iPlayer work in Linux).

In my opinion, the creators took the question, "What would Sherlock Holmes do if he had access to the 21st century's technology?" and went insane.

I was introduced to it rather reluctantly(after seeing "Elementary" and being rather disgusted by it).

This however, is a a bit closer to canon, and has more of the original asexual, OCD, emotionless, manic Holmes...but with new toys.

For what it is, it's brilliant, but I still hold my original opinion that Jeremy Brett was the definitive Holmes(and damn Netflix for pulling it off their lists!).
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

DinkyInky wrote:Series 2 episode one...be prepared for a brain'splosion in the beginning.

My son and I are anxiously awaiting the third series to air(I am trying to figure out how to make the BBC iPlayer work in Linux).

In my opinion, the creators took the question, "What would Sherlock Holmes do if he had access to the 21st century's technology?" and went insane.

I was introduced to it rather reluctantly(after seeing "Elementary" and being rather disgusted by it).

This however, is a a bit closer to canon, and has more of the original asexual, OCD, emotionless, manic Holmes...but with new toys.

For what it is, it's brilliant, but I still hold my original opinion that Jeremy Brett was the definitive Holmes(and damn Netflix for pulling it off their lists!).
I tend to agree - Jeremy Brett has been the best Holmes in a series that I've seen. Also, try the PBS website: they might still have those episodes from Mystery! for sale featuring the Holmes stories....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

MerchManDan wrote:Even though dirty, dirty girls love Benedict Cumberbatch? ;)
I don't get that at all...he's not exactly a pretty man, he has some of the same quirks and physical traits that Conan doyles Holmes has. I find that the voice is what attracts me most. I have an audio recording of this actor reading a "new" story of Holmes (before I knew about the series), and it was intriguing. It would be lovely to hear him read the canon. As an actor, he puts the frenetic energies and lethargic, almost laziness of the character to an interesting life. But I do not get his fans at all.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

NOTDilbert wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Series 2 episode one...be prepared for a brain'splosion in the beginning.

I tend to agree - Jeremy Brett has been the best Holmes in a series that I've seen. Also, try the PBS website: they might still have those episodes from Mystery! for sale featuring the Holmes stories....
Our local PBS system has taken to showing Brett's "Return of Sherlock Holmes" series on Thursday nights, as well as the regular Masterpiece Classic/Mystery/Contemporary on Sundays. They have held up well.
Julie

Post by Julie »

My husband has just introduced me to the series as well. :) I've watched the same episodes as Jabberwonky, and I'm hooked. I'm just trying not to watch too many episodes in too much of a hurry. I don't want to hit the end and then be my usual spastic-self impatiently waiting for the next season. :P
DinkyInky wrote:
MerchManDan wrote:Even though dirty, dirty girls love Benedict Cumberbatch? ;)
I don't get that at all...he's not exactly a pretty man, he has some of the same quirks and physical traits that Conan doyles Holmes has. I find that the voice is what attracts me most. I have an audio recording of this actor reading a "new" story of Holmes (before I knew about the series), and it was intriguing. It would be lovely to hear him read the canon. As an actor, he puts the frenetic energies and lethargic, almost laziness of the character to an interesting life. But I do not get his fans at all.
While in general, I agree with you about him (not overly pretty but definitely equipped with a wonderful voice)...I can see how he could get a crazed fan-base. For me, the infatuation is not so much with Benedict Cumberbatch as with his characters. I could see myself pining over his Sherlock Holmes (and not being the slightest bit bothered by his lack of "appropriate social behavior")...and his Khan (while revolting in so many ways...because it's Khan) is also riveting and intriguing. Maybe I just like him when he's a super-genius. :)

Then again, I saw a preview for a new movie he'll be in about the guys who started the Wiki-Leaks website...and I have to say that the white-blonde look was very off-putting...but by the end of the preview I was just as interested in that character as I have been in his others...so maybe it's not just him playing a genius. :) I know I wouldn't be one of those women who strain to reach out and touch (or get autographs from or have their picture taken with) the celebreties they adore...and I can't say (for now) that he'd make my celebrity crush list (which is about 3 people long)...but if he is as charismatic when he's not performing as he is when the camera's rolling, then I would definitely be speechless and blushing in his presence. :) So I guess that means I need to be lumped in with the other fans. :P
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Julie wrote:While in general, I agree with you about him (not overly pretty but definitely equipped with a wonderful voice)...I can see how he could get a crazed fan-base. For me, the infatuation is not so much with Benedict Cumberbatch as with his characters. I could see myself pining over his Sherlock Holmes (and not being the slightest bit bothered by his lack of "appropriate social behavior")...and his Khan (while revolting in so many ways...because it's Khan) is also riveting and intriguing. Maybe I just like him when he's a super-genius. :)

Then again, I saw a preview for a new movie he'll be in about the guys who started the Wiki-Leaks website...and I have to say that the white-blonde look was very off-putting...but by the end of the preview I was just as interested in that character as I have been in his others...so maybe it's not just him playing a genius. :) I know I wouldn't be one of those women who strain to reach out and touch (or get autographs from or have their picture taken with) the celebreties they adore...and I can't say (for now) that he'd make my celebrity crush list (which is about 3 people long)...but if he is as charismatic when he's not performing as he is when the camera's rolling, then I would definitely be speechless and blushing in his presence. :) So I guess that means I need to be lumped in with the other fans. :P
From what I have seen in interviews, he's a big nerd.

The funniest part of the audiobook was when he did an American voice(He vocalised every character himself in the narrations). He completely owned it...then he said the word schedule(pronounced. "shed-u-ule"). I dissolved into a gigglefit, and backed up the audio to listen to it again. Other than that word, you would never have known he was not a Native.

I blushingly listened to his narration of Casanova(Dear God, I can just about see the rabid fangirls frothing at the mouth listening to that one), and was again impressed at the way he draws the readers in with his many performances.

--Safyr Drathmir