Get to Mapimi 2013-04-26

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
DilyV

Re: Get to Mapimi 2013-04-26

Post by DilyV »

Fairportfan wrote:One of the things i love about Wapsi.

Sprawled teenager style across an armchair in sweate, eating take-away Chinese out of the carton ... and, if she ever Loses It, quite capable of destroying the entire world.

Love the contrast.

BTW - do the GGGs actually need to eat?
Not sure... but they DO love to drink!!!!!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Fairportfan wrote:BTW - do the GGGs actually need to eat?

I'm pretty sure they don't. I don't think we've seen the Golem Girls have any physical vulnerabilities, only magical or psychological ones. (The Chimera probably didn't have a two-meter exhaust port, either.) They certain can eat and drink - boy, can some golems drink - but I don't think it's necessary to keep them running. I can't remember if we've ever seen a golem go without air, but I'd expect it. Even Tepoz, the least impressive of the five golems we've seen, would pretty hard to stop. Mayahuel went over 80,000 Earth years without a snack, but that was in the Demon Realm; there's no telling what rules apply there.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
illiad

Post by illiad »

Fairportfan wrote: BTW - do the GGGs actually need to eat?
well as Data put it, (my memory alpha is not very good, so correct me if poss. :) :p )

"it is good to experience it, as well as helping you 'fit in' .."
ShirouZhiwu

Post by ShirouZhiwu »

Dave wrote:
ShirouZhiwu wrote:Real life science has managed to store data in the DNA of bacteria that lasted several generations, but I don't see Anasazi DNA faithfully replicating itself over several generations of genetic infusion from other cultures without the possibility of thousands of others with her ability.
Depends. If the change was made to mitochondrial DNA rather than nuclear DNA, it would be passed down directly from mother to daughter over the generations. A child's mitochondria are inherited from the mother and there's no "mixing" from the male side of the line. Katherine could be an Nth-generation mother-to-daughter direct-line descendent from a Lanthian-expat Anasazi, and be bearing near-exact copies of Lanthian-altered mitochondrial DNA. It wouldn't even have to be an unbroken mother-to-daughter sequence, as many male descendents of Lanthian ancestry would carry the same mitochondrial genes.

It's possible that her mitochondria bear the equivalent of a tiny "Intel Inside" or "Kilroy Was Here" or "All Mimsy Were The Borogoves" gene sequence :-)
If that happened then it would be improbable that there wouldn't be hundred, if not thousands of people that would have Kath's level of access. It's not uncommon for people to have multiple female children, so over 5,000 years there should be a city's worth of descendants with the same Mitochondrial DNA. For Kath to be the only one with a key, some serious meddling had to occur.
Wyvern

Post by Wyvern »

Fairportfan wrote:BTW - do the GGGs actually need to eat?
What little evidence we've got suggests not. They can, obviously, and enjoy it, but I don't think we've ever seen anything to suggest that they actually have to eat, drink, or breathe.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.