Oil Spill 2013-02-11

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
MerchManDan

Re: Oil Spill 2013-03-11

Post by MerchManDan »

Heh. All this discussion about explosive manufacture reminds me of Fight Club.
zachariah wrote:Another thing is why the differences in the strength of the crates? We see 40 to 85 percent on them. The percent is a measure for how strong it is compared to 100 percent dynamite that is not modified by inert filler to reduce the strength. When blasting in a mine you always use the same grade in every blast hole so you can control exactly what gets blown up. If not the results would be deadly for everyone. Since this batch is mixed it suggests a cache for someone who wants to keep it secret. It could come from Mexican bandits or criminals. Maybe an arms runner even. So it is likely this was not left by miners, but someone else.
If this is the case, it would make an intereresting parallel with the incident involving Egyptian terrorists and the Portal Tapestry. Add the Vimana Cell found by Bud inside the Nazi sub, and we can almost see some kind of theme emerging.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

MerchManDan wrote:Heh. All this discussion about explosive manufacture reminds me of Fight Club.
zachariah wrote:Another thing is why the differences in the strength of the crates? We see 40 to 85 percent on them. The percent is a measure for how strong it is compared to 100 percent dynamite that is not modified by inert filler to reduce the strength. When blasting in a mine you always use the same grade in every blast hole so you can control exactly what gets blown up. If not the results would be deadly for everyone. Since this batch is mixed it suggests a cache for someone who wants to keep it secret. It could come from Mexican bandits or criminals. Maybe an arms runner even. So it is likely this was not left by miners, but someone else.
If this is the case, it would make an intereresting parallel with the incident involving Egyptian terrorists and the Portal Tapestry. Add the Vimana Cell found by Bud inside the Nazi sub, and we can almost see some kind of theme emerging.
You mean besides Bad Guys always go splat as is shown here quite often.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

MerchManDan wrote:Heh. All this discussion about explosive manufacture reminds me of Fight Club.
SHHHH! You aren't supposed to talk about Fight Club. Damn, now I went and did it too.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

Mark N wrote:You mean besides Bad Guys always go splat as is shown here quite often.
Correct; I'd noticed how ancient, powerful artifacts tend to end up in the hands of the Bad Guys.
shadowinthelight wrote:SHHHH! You aren't supposed to talk about Fight Club. Damn, now I went and did it too.
Most of us...we're here because someone broke the rules. Somebody told us about Fight Club.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
Dave

Post by Dave »

MerchManDan wrote:Most of us...we're here because someone broke the rules. Somebody told us about Fight Club
Blame Pablo if you like, for introducing Atsali... a naive young winged character.

He talked about flight cub.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

jeffepp wrote:"Ladies, has your old brand of household dynamite just not been cutting it? Does it take two, or even three sticks to get that stain out, when it use to only take one? And what about those pesky plugged drains taking half a box, only to plug up again in just a few days? And don't even start on how much it takes to clean the windows!"

"Now, with Hercules Brand Extra Dynamite, you can cut the time and effort for these household chores, and more! A thousand and one uses! Laundry, delousing the dog, trimming the cats nails, polishing the floor, making dinner, and so much more!"
This ad doesn't even mention the ease it brings to fishing.
Dave

Post by Dave »

MerchManDan wrote:If this is the case, it would make an intereresting parallel with the incident involving Egyptian terrorists and the Portal Tapestry. Add the Vimana Cell found by Bud inside the Nazi sub, and we can almost see some kind of theme emerging.
Epiphany requires explodery? :mrgreen:
Jabberwonky

Re: Oil Spill 2013-02-11

Post by Jabberwonky »

"There are few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives"?
:P
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Jabberwonky wrote:"There are few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives"?
My .sig used to include the line "The quantity of high explosive varies directly as the square of the size of the social problem."

Some people thought it was a bit insensitive, so i switched to the much more sensitive one i'm using here.

There is a wonderful quote from Kai Lung (Well, from his creator, Ernest Bramah) that i really like along these lines:
It has been said there are few situations in life that cannot be honourably settled, and without loss of time, either by suicide, a bag of gold or by thrusting a despised antagonist over the edge of a precipice on a dark night.
==================

I do very earnestly (sorry) commend Kai Lung's Golden Hours to your attention if you have not yet read it.
Last edited by Fairportfan on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Fairportfan wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:"There are few personal problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives"?
My .sig used to include the line "The quantity of high explosive varies directly as the square of the size of the social problem."

Some people thought it was a bit insensitive, so i switched to the much more sensitive one i'm using here.

There is a wonderful quote from Kai Lung (Well, from his creator, Ernest Bramah) that i really like along these lines:
It has been said there are few situations in life that cannot be honourably settled, and without loss of time, either by suicide, a bag of gold or by thrusting a despised antagonist over the edge of a precipice on a dark night.
I put that quote, taken from you, on a white board in the lobby of the facility where I work. I noticed a large number of soldiers whip out notebooks to copy it down.
:)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:

I put that quote, taken from you, on a white board in the lobby of the facility where I work. I noticed a large number of soldiers whip out notebooks to copy it down.
:)
Well, fair's fair. I lifted the version you quoted from some military-related source, then tweaked it some.

===========

Oh, darn - i think i had it as "The quantity of high explosive required varies directly as the square of the size of the social problem."
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Dragon Hostler

Post by Dragon Hostler »

I'm totally entranced by the dynamite crate background.
I would love it as a PC screen wallpaper, followed by real wallpaper for a room. Something monochrome or sepia, possibly with the appropriate red lettering. Very subdued in contrast with the garish fireworks posters on the other walls of my [mad] science room.
Born Again Heathen
Hostling dragons is similar to hostling horses, but ya need a bigger shovel, oh, and bigger nose plugs. Don't forget the nose plugs!