I Have The Key 2013-04-30

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Fairportfan

Re: I Have The Key 2013-04-30

Post by Fairportfan »

The Fansheep wrote:It may just be me but ... she is hanging head over her hair is following the drag of gravity .. her Glasses however are staying put on her nose. Now the real question is .. do i want to know what keeps those glasses in place?
Rivets.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Dave wrote:According to Garrett, when he somewhat timidly presented Doc Smith with an early draft of the parody, Smith read it, laughed out loud, and then suggested the "Dentless" name for Ginnison's ship (Smith had named Kimball Kinnison's ship "the Dauntless").
He also said that, though he had written the piece without having read the books for yeas, he had to re-write some parts because he realised that he had quoted verbatim from Smith.

(The same thing happened to Neil Innes with the songs for The Rutles; he hadn't consciously listened to any particular Beatles songs in years, but...)
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
livinthelife

Post by livinthelife »

Handy work ought to be handiwork. Other than that, great comic!
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

MerchManDan wrote:Well, now. Lily knows far more about what's up (or down, as the case may be) with this alcove than we knew. But I can't decide if this raises/lowers more questions than it answers, or vice versa. It's all topsy-turvy to me.
Dave wrote:
NOTDilbert wrote:Monsters from the Id....
You win a cookie for getting the reference! :mrgreen:
Sadly, not a Mass Effect reference, like I thought. :|
Nope, refrencing a science fiction classic.

And as Dave points out it would be Dr Morbius, not Mobius, releasing the monsters of Id.

I must have had strips on the brain.

Shelly could relate.

*Tosses slighty used artificial quantum sigularity into the pun jar.*
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Dave wrote: Sure, Morbius (a.k.a. Prospero) might show up yet. We don't know who Katherine is about to encounter on the far side of the stargate.

Atsali could serve nicely in the role of Ariel. I don't think we've encountered a Caliban yet (at least, not in this section of the storyline).

I won't even discuss the story's Nielsen ratings, or the pigeons we saw flying around the aperture, because that would... hey, no, Pun Jar, wait :shock: please, I promise I'll feed :cry: AAAAAAGGhhhhh....
Aren't you afraid this will all be a Tempest in a tea pot?

(not sure if that qualifies as a pun. sees knawed remains of Dave, tosses in collected works of Sir Francis Bacon into pun jar, just to be sure.)
Dave

Post by Dave »

Boxilar wrote:Nope, refrencing a science fiction classic.
Yup... I would assume that's what the authors of Mass Effect were pointing to, with their "ruins of a dead civilization" scenario.

Forbidden Planet is the elder reference, Mass Effect is the Junger.
Boxilar wrote:Aren't you afraid this will all be a Tempest in a tea pot?

(not sure if that qualifies as a pun. sees knawed remains of Dave, tosses in collected works of Sir Francis Bacon into pun jar, just to be sure.)
Close... very close. I figured that since Monica is back at the Library, she's almost certain to enter this storyline as an active participant at some point, and we can cast a Tempest in a G cup.

Thanks for the Bacon, by the way. Everything is better with Bacon, even if he didn't actually write any of the Bard's works.

(gnawed bones put on a pork-pie hat and climb back into the Pun Jar)
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Dave wrote:
Boxilar wrote:Nope, refrencing a science fiction classic.
Yup... I would assume that's what the authors of Mass Effect were pointing to, with their "ruins of a dead civilization" scenario.

Forbidden Planet is the elder reference, Mass Effect is the Junger.
Boxilar wrote:Aren't you afraid this will all be a Tempest in a tea pot?

Close... very close. I figured that since Monica is back at the Library, she's almost certain to enter this storyline as an active participant at some point, and we can cast a Tempest in a G cup.

Thanks for the Bacon, by the way. Everything is better with Bacon, even if he didn't actually write any of the Bard's works.

(gnawed bones put on a pork-pie hat and climb back into the Pun Jar)
G Cup? Methinks you are thinking too small!!!
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I think she said it was 28-J
=====================
=====================
mike weber
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

DilyV wrote:
G Cup? Methinks you are thinking too small!!!
One must never think too small in Waspi. Otherwise Lydia would be out of business. In fact shouldn't we ask her about they gravity issues with Suzi? She does have experience with gravitonic engineering to make her bra's work.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Fairportfan wrote:I think she said it was 28-J
You're likely right; I knew G was probably too small, but I couldn't make the rhyme-joke work with a J. It was B, C, D, E, G, P, or T, and the latter two seemed out of range.

I think I first read the joke used with regard to Tallulah Bankhead, many years ago... I infer that she was a bit prone to chew up the scenery when on stage, and even more when not.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Dave wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:I think she said it was 28-J
You're likely right; I knew G was probably too small, but I couldn't make the rhyme-joke work with a J. It was B, C, D, E, G, P, or T, and the latter two seemed out of range.

I think I first read the joke used with regard to Tallulah Bankhead, many years ago... I infer that she was a bit prone to chew up the scenery when on stage, and even more when not.
On the other hand, if Monica ate enough pizza (or had it artificially in-poited), she could become a tempest in a T-cup, which would have been a more accurate pun, if rather unrealistic.

Just in case, tosses a golf tee, a T-shirt, and a tea ball in the general direction of the pun jar.