Not Here 2013-04-29

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Sidhekin

Re: Not Here 2013-04-29

Post by Sidhekin »

zachariah wrote:Welcome to the Spider Triangle when all angles are wrong and gravity does not work.

Point one: The triangle hollow holding the star gate is in, is an inverted triangle. One pointed end is pointing down to make up the top half of the hourglass on the spider carving. So Lilly is actually kneeling on the ceiling, or one of the sides, without regard to the actual orientation of the triangle.

Point two: Suzy's hair is either pointing straight up or down. If she is at the triangle point that is down her hair is pointing up. If she is at one of the others her hair is at 60 degrees to vertical. It is still pointing straight.
The triangle has been un-inverted before: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/get-these-pix/

It warps space, I tell you! 8-)

... or perhaps there are two alcoves, or one structure extending behind both triangles? But would Kath speak of "the alcove" if so? :-\
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!
Wdot

Post by Wdot »

Yeah, vampires can do some really weird crawling on the sides of castles, so Suz hanging upside down isn't unusual in my mind. As far as the *cough* assets go, they seem to be doing the correct thing for the position she's in. I'm sure Suzi is rich, though not as wealthy as her 5000year old partner. Suzi shops at Lydia's.
Make the wrong things difficult, and the right things easy. Notice the smallest change and the slightest try and reward him.
----Ray Hunt
Dave

Post by Dave »

Boxilar wrote:
Dave wrote:So, Suzi doesn't seem to know about stargating. Or, at least, she didn't expect to find a stargate terminal shoehorned into a triangular opening in a cliff wall out in the southwest.

Do these two ever really talk to one another? :roll:
When was that going to come up in course of normal conversation.
I wasn't particularly thinking of "normal communication" as in "on the job business-talk". I was thinking of something less superficial.

Lily and Suzi have apparently known each other for decades. Lily is Suzi's mentor - she "pulled [Suzi] out of the darkness", by which I read "helped her come to terms with how to face un-death as a vampire". Lily clearly has massive amounts of experience to share and impart, and she's done so to some extent in order to help Suzi deal with the emotional darkness of dying alone, unloved, unwanted... and then brought back for another round on the punching-wheel.

You'd think that after that sort of instruction of her young vampire padawan, Lily would have been comfortable enough to let her hair down and talk about herself.

I guess not. It's all on Suzi's side, apparently. After all, today's panel demonstrates that she is letting her hair down.

I suppose that the inverted posture does show that somebody's letting Lily's heir down... I'll graciously concede that much, and drop a few "Sure, I can be emotionally supportive when I get a Round Tuit" tokens into the Pun Jar. ;)
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

Sidhekin wrote:
zachariah wrote:Welcome to the Spider Triangle when all angles are wrong and gravity does not work.

Point one: The triangle hollow holding the star gate is in, is an inverted triangle. One pointed end is pointing down to make up the top half of the hourglass on the spider carving. So Lilly is actually kneeling on the ceiling, or one of the sides, without regard to the actual orientation of the triangle.

Point two: Suzy's hair is either pointing straight up or down. If she is at the triangle point that is down her hair is pointing up. If she is at one of the others her hair is at 60 degrees to vertical. It is still pointing straight.
The triangle has been un-inverted before: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/get-these-pix/

... or perhaps there are two alcoves, or one structure extending behind both triangles? But would Kath speak of "the alcove" if so? :-\
I was hoping I wouldn't have to make this point but. Kathy and Sali went into the upper hole with the triangle pointed downwards. If Lilly is in the triangle below it, with it's point going up wards, then Lilly is....

Cringing in horror, in the wrong hole! That can be a grave mistake.

In no way will I be held responsible for any comments, or the thoughts, from this forum. Any misinterpretations are purely in the mind of the reader.

Sorry but I do not have enough funds, or items, to donate to the pun jar what this one calls for.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
sheik

Post by sheik »

Hasn't anyone noticed what Suzi was confused about?
Lilly just said something that didn't make sense to her.
That's because Lilly intends to use the stargate to get everyone to Mesa Verde.
I am very curious as to how Paul will explain the alcove inversion thing though.
kingklash

Post by kingklash »

So, maybe the 'splosion opened up the other alcove as well?
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

kingklash wrote:So, maybe the 'splosion opened up the other alcove as well?
Nah. Pablo's messing with us.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Dave wrote:
Boxilar wrote:
Dave wrote:So, Suzi doesn't seem to know about stargating. Or, at least, she didn't expect to find a stargate terminal shoehorned into a triangular opening in a cliff wall out in the southwest.

Do these two ever really talk to one another? :roll:
When was that going to come up in course of normal conversation.
I wasn't particularly thinking of "normal communication" as in "on the job business-talk". I was thinking of something less superficial.

Lily and Suzi have apparently known each other for decades. Lily is Suzi's mentor - she "pulled [Suzi] out of the darkness", by which I read "helped her come to terms with how to face un-death as a vampire". Lily clearly has massive amounts of experience to share and impart, and she's done so to some extent in order to help Suzi deal with the emotional darkness of dying alone, unloved, unwanted... and then brought back for another round on the punching-wheel.

You'd think that after that sort of instruction of her young vampire padawan, Lily would have been comfortable enough to let her hair down and talk about herself.

I guess not. It's all on Suzi's side, apparently. After all, today's panel demonstrates that she is letting her hair down.

I suppose that the inverted posture does show that somebody's letting Lily's heir down... I'll graciously concede that much, and drop a few "Sure, I can be emotionally supportive when I get a Round Tuit" tokens into the Pun Jar. ;)
I see your point. Trusting someone enough to reveal so much about her past would be hard for her. Aside from the trauma of being left alone to die forgotten and rising as a vampire, Lily would have been around when what ever happend to the Anasasi happened. She may be aware of enemies who would hunt her down if they knew the truth of her past. Also, this can't be the first time in her five milleniums of existance that she has rescued another vampire and helped them come away from the darkness. How many of those were killed, or gave into dispair or their Hunger and went back to their old ways. Fifty years is a lifetime for us humans, but for Lily its a moment, an instant. She's seen Suzy lose it and fall back into primal instincts at least once. Whose to say one day she won't lose control and decide it's what she's meant to be. Lily would be very careful about what she would reveal.

If there were those hunting tha Anasasi, simply telling someone , who told someone else, could lead to disaster for her. That may be why the Library is shut out of the Mapami Silent Zone. So those with secrets to keep can go on keeping them. Imagine someone who has access to the Library talking innocently to someone who wishes the Anasasi survivors ill will about what she just read about the Anasasi and their stargates. Loose lips don't just sink ships. They destroy civilizations.
GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

RunningBull wrote:I noticed that they called her "Dr." Gilchrist this time.
I noticed that too. Now the question is, why would Suzi be the first one to get it right?

Also, add me to the list of people who doesn't quite get what's going on with the orientation of the triangular alcove. :?
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes."
-The Laughing Man; GITS:SAC (originally from Holden Caulfield; Catcher in the Rye)
DilyV

Post by DilyV »

Sidhekin wrote:

Indeed, the first few times we see the alcove from the outside, it is indeed the inverted triangle (point down) which is open. As you've said here, there is undoubtedly a normal floor inside of the alcove, the inverted triangle acting only as an opening to the alcove inside. No trick... just a really neat marvel of engineering. Remember, in all of the times we've seen the bottom triangle, the bottom triangle (point up) is NOT an opening. If anthing, it actually sticks out from the wall a bit.
You know that light at the end of the tunnel?

Yeah... it's a bullet. Sorry.
zachariah

Post by zachariah »

DilyV wrote:Indeed, the first few times we see the alcove from the outside, it is indeed the inverted triangle (point down) which is open. As you've said here, there is undoubtedly a normal floor inside of the alcove, the inverted triangle acting only as an opening to the alcove inside. No trick... just a really neat marvel of engineering. Remember, in all of the times we've seen the bottom triangle, the bottom triangle (point up) is NOT an opening. If anything, it actually sticks out from the wall a bit.
If there was a floor inside the triangle door then the opening would not match the opening. Lilly sould be kneeling and the inverted triangle door would be behind her with the point down. As drawn the walls inside match the shape of the triangle.

You are right the lower triangle does extend out from the wall, not inwards. So they are in the upper triangle. The only option is either gravitonic engineering, or Paul is messing with us. lol.
Ambush questions are fun. Watching the mental impact of them as they distort, or crumble, opinions based on faulty logic.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

zachariah wrote:The only option is either gravitonic engineering, or Paul is messing with us. lol.
Yes.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Grantwhy

Post by Grantwhy »

*apologies if I've got the wrong name with a quote. The forum wouldn't allow more than three nested quotes so I broke them up*
DilyV wrote:Um... is Suzi defying gravity? I mean she's hanging upside down and all... but we though Monica had good bras????
Wyvern wrote:Maybe she had a bat earlier. But yeah; they're hanging at her shoulders not in her face. Maybe MIB girls go to the same bra architect Monica uses.
jwhouk wrote:Well, Lydia did say she had a government order for those bras...
Julie wrote:Truth! :) I bet that someone higher up felt the need to corral those puppies before someone else got hurt (namely the poor readers of this comic who would likely choke to death upon seeing a massive wardrobe malfunction like that). :)
My theory:

Suzi is an 'action girl', and probably has been so for quite some time.

Experience (and probably more than one oops/wardrobe malfunction) has taught her that when wearing 'open top' bras [yes, I really don't know the actual name for that type of bra] .....

were was I?

oh yes.

.... when wearing 'open top' bras a generous use of double sided tape can prevent wardrobe malfunctions, especially if she has to hang upside-down for any length of time.
As a CareBearAnarchist I believe in the destruction and overthrow of the perils of society through random and senseless acts of consideration and kindness
Growing older is compulsory, growing up is optional
Dumb things happen to smart phones
illiad

Post by illiad »

well I think the *actual* reason is the 'comics moderator' is watching... :( :(

y'know, the one who notices what actually happens, and steps in, tucking them back in, painting over stuff so that it is **restored** back from 'R' to 'PG-13'... dontcha know 'comic physics' covers a lot of bases???

and we would not want Paul out of a job... :) :)
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

illiad wrote:well I think the *actual* reason is the 'comics moderator' is watching... :( :(

y'know, the one who notices what actually happens, and steps in, tucking them back in, painting over stuff so that it is **restored** back from 'R' to 'PG-13'... dontcha know 'comic physics' covers a lot of bases???

and we would not want Paul out of a job... :) :)
Heh. Sounds like last Thursday's Evil Diva - they posted the page as delivered by the artist as a TWC vote incentive. Diva was showing a touch more skin - mostly leg and some cleavage, not a lot - but they felt it was not appropriate for a fifteen-year-old...

(Personally, i like the page-as-delivered better)
=====================
=====================
mike weber
MerchManDan

Post by MerchManDan »

sheik wrote:Hasn't anyone noticed what Suzi was confused about?
Lilly just said something that didn't make sense to her.
That's because Lilly intends to use the stargate to get everyone to Mesa Verde.
Well sure we noticed, but nobody else mentioned it because we KNOW what Lily is talking about. Suzi's confused only because she doesn't know what we know.
"Give orange me give eat orange me eat orange give me eat orange give me you." - Nim the chimp
Animation courtesy of shadowinthelight (thanks again!)
illiad

Post by illiad »

Fairportfan wrote: Heh. Sounds like last Thursday's Evil Diva - they posted the page as delivered by the artist as a TWC vote incentive. Diva was showing a touch more skin - mostly leg and some cleavage, not a lot - but they felt it was not appropriate for a fifteen-year-old...

(Personally, i like the page-as-delivered better)
feh, that's a bit weak... Paul has done more, but then the comic is PG-13 rated, unlike Evil Diva...
eg...:)
http://wapsisquare.com/comic/so-you-see/
scantrontb

Post by scantrontb »

illiad wrote:feh, that's a bit weak... Paul has done more, but then the comic is PG-13 rated, unlike Evil Diva...
eg...:) http://wapsisquare.com/comic/so-you-see/
um, yeah, but Monica isn't a 15 year old either.
Don't planto mihi adveho illac