Human Slide Rule 2013-04-19

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Wyvern

Re: Human Slide Rule 2013-04-19

Post by Wyvern »

NOTDilbert wrote:That's why my HS offered an extra credit course in slide rule use. You could use either the original slipstick kind, or 'newfangled' circular slide rules - I took the class with a circular; also had a plastic ruler-style, and (thanks to my uncle) a 14 inch log-log-log Decitrig in a leather scabbard. (How could you find the engineering students on a college campus? Listen for the slap-slap of the slipstick scabbards as they walked.)

Lucky you; a lot of those K&E slipsticks are collectors' items these days.

The circular layout isn't necessarily new, but it was harder to make in previous centuries. There's also the cylindrical sliderule, which has always been rare for various reasons.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
illiad

Post by illiad »

zachariah wrote:
illiad wrote:
zachariah wrote:How about "Detailed Specifications and Code for Library Storage and Operation using Mulch-dimensional Math." by I.M. Wong.
"feh, ANY L-space schoolkid knows how to do *that*.... {yawn} "

"but hey, I heard this hacker once, said he could depolarise space in a small area... of course the superadmin stomped on it pretty quickly, but I had a look at his specs... fairly standard stuff, but there would be NOOO way he could get any of the ingredients whithout causing a major alarm or atomising himself in the process!!! making it up as he goes along, most likley!!"
Anyone can depolarize space.It isn't polarized in the first place, it just is. Unless your space is at one of the poles. Then you just have to warm it up or move it away from that location.
I dont think you understand the implications... it would result in a ball of **nothing** a bit like an oblivion hole... :P
http://www.goblinscomic.com/02082013/
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Atomic wrote:
bmonk wrote:
zachariah wrote:Anyone can depolarize space.It isn't polarized in the first place, it just is. Unless your space is at one of the poles. Then you just have to warm it up or move it away from that location.
I hope this line of thought doesn't polarize the forum.

[drops a couple of monopoles of opposite magnetic charge into the pun jar, just to watch the fireworks]
Now you did it -- the Bose-Einstein condensate has clogged up the jar neck. We'll just have to wait till it warms up, unless someone has a quantum plunger.

You and your monopoles. Really, you should know better!
(My nefarious plot seems to be working. We should get a day or so free from the threat of the jar.)
Sidhekin

Post by Sidhekin »

Jay-Em wrote:Brandi is, after all, also the Chessmaster, and probably already ran hundreds of "what if" -scenarios that included the results from some knowledge being all too freely available through The Library.
I get the impression that many of you're making the Chessmaster out to be more infallibly omniscient, incapable of missing stuff, than Brandi has proven to be: http://wapsisquare.com/comic/foundanymice/

Which, I suppose, could be seen as favouring the "two Brandis" theory. I'm not yet convinced this particular entity needs multiplying, but I can see its usefulness ...
perl -e 'print "Just another Perl ${\(trickster and hacker)},";'

The Sidhekin proves that Sidhe did it!