Robot Uprising? Why, it's unheard of!

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Jabberwonky

Robot Uprising? Why, it's unheard of!

Post by Jabberwonky »

I don't know if this guy is troll baiting or just dense, but here's his fears on the 'comparatively unexplored' idea of intelligent robot rebelling against their meaty masters...

Robot Uprising! blog entry from the Amherst Daily News.
E.L. Sparling wrote:Killer robots have been the stuff of sci-fi since the genre appeared. Strangely, while the fantasy scenario of the dead rising from the grave, zombies, has huge traction in popular culture, the entirely possible scenario of robots turning on their masters is comparatively unexplored.
(It only took 5 replies to get a link to an XKCD-What If? about robot uprisings.)

EDIT: repair bad, bad link...Derp!
Last edited by Jabberwonky on Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
shadowinthelight

Re: Robot Uprising? Why, it's unheard of!

Post by shadowinthelight »

*looks over at copy of I, Robot blu-ray on shelf*
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

shadowinthelight wrote:*looks over at copy of I, Robot blu-ray on shelf*
Remembers what they did with that poor book and ponders what they could have done with it.... (sighs deeply)

Sometimes a movie "based on" a book is like a kindergarten finger painting based on a whatever.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

Atomic wrote:
Remembers what they did with that poor book and ponders what they could have done with it.... (sighs deeply)
*Twitches in a nervous tic*. No no no no... that was a misprint on the label which the beaurocrats were too lazy to fix. The actual name of that movie is, based on screen time, "Will Smith's Butt".
Sometimes a movie "based on" a book is like a kindergarten finger painting based on a whatever.
And sometimes it's best to just pretend it didn't happen and go on with our lives.

Seriously, though. Asimov. Has no one actually READ his works?
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

I, Robot
Foundation Trilogy
Nightfall

I fully intend someday to, if they make a movie of the story I'm writing, have it begin:
The following is a baldfaced lie, based on the hazy, self-serving, and incomplete recollections of those who would never, ever, admit this happened.

Not while they're sober, anyway.

My Deviant Art scribbles
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Bicentennial Man
Daneel Olivaw Quartet(Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, Robots of Dawn, Robots and Empire)
I would love to see good movies on those, I have a campy game version of them.
The Norby Chronicles

Doctor Who and Star Trek--Cyber men and the Borg.
Terminator
Metropolis
To a lesser extent, HAL9000, but only because he was a computer. If he'd been mobile...look out.

Oh, and this was amusing: The one Gov't Holiday I could get behind

EDIT(my Dad is awesome): The Cylons from Battlestar Galactica
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

DinkyInky wrote:Bicentennial Man
Daneel Olivaw Quartet(Caves of Steel, The Naked Sun, Robots of Dawn, Robots and Empire)
I would love to see good movies on those, I have a campy game version of them.
The Norby Chronicles

Doctor Who and Star Trek--Cyber men and the Borg.
Terminator
Metropolis
To a lesser extent, HAL9000, but only because he was a computer. If he'd been mobile...look out.

Oh, and this was amusing: The one Gov't Holiday I could get behind

EDIT(my Dad is awesome): The Cylons from Battlestar Galactica
Uh, wasn't Hal 9000 a spaceship computer? He went mobile from here to Jupiter (Kidding! I know what you meant....)
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

DinkyInky wrote:Oh, and this was amusing: The one Gov't Holiday I could get behind
Can you elaborate? I get this message :
Your Search Has Timed Out

Search results in THOMAS are temporary and are deleted 30 minutes after creation.Please try your search again.
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

DinkyInky, you mentioned Metropolis - A fabulous movie if ever there was one. Got to see the version where they moved the dialog cards to subtitles, music by Linda Ronstadt and others.

Robots aside, but steampunk galore, if you're in to oldie-but-goodie movies, consider seeing Hell's Angels by Howard Hughes (yes, that guy). He blew a wad on this film, shot it twice because Talkies came in, and boy, special effects ain't nuthin till you've seen a burning zepplin!

My Deviant Art scribbles
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

shadowinthelight wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Oh, and this was amusing: The one Gov't Holiday I could get behind
Can you elaborate? I get this message :
Your Search Has Timed Out

Search results in THOMAS are temporary and are deleted 30 minutes after creation.Please try your search again.
H. Res. 1055 March 9, 2010:

111th CONGRESS
2d Session

H. RES. 1055
Supporting the designation of National Robotics Week as an annual event.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
February 2, 2010

Mr. DOYLE (for himself, Mr. TIM MURPHY of Pennsylvania, Mr. MURTHA, Mr. SHUSTER, Mr. MCGOVERN, Mr. MOLLOHAN, Mr. BARTON of Texas, Mr. ALTMIRE, Mr. MCNERNEY, Mr. SESTAK, Mr. WITTMAN, Ms. BALDWIN, Ms. WATSON, Mrs. DAHLKEMPER, Mr. CAPUANO, Mr. GRIFFITH, and Mr. BISHOP of Georgia) submitted the following resolution; which was referred to the Committee on Science and Technology, and in addition to the Committee on Education and Labor, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned

RESOLUTION
Supporting the designation of National Robotics Week as an annual event.

Whereas the United States has the largest number of academic and research organizations with dedicated programs focused on the advancement of robotics technology;

Whereas robotics has matured into an all-encompassing and enabling technology that, as a pillar of 21st century American innovation, is positioned to fuel a broad array of next generation products and applications, transform our society, and become as ubiquitous over the next several decades as desktop and mobile computing technology is today;

Whereas the emerging market for service robotics in various sectors, including healthcare, national defense, homeland security, energy, manufacturing, logistics, transportation, agriculture, education, consumer goods, and others, is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of nearly 20 percent over the next few years to become a worldwide $27 billion industry;

Whereas robotics is a critical technology capable in the near term of contributing to the economic recovery by creating new jobs, increasing productivity, improving quality, and increasing worker safety, and equally capable over time of addressing the longer term labor and healthcare issues expected to result from the 40 percent increase in number of the Nation's elderly over the next 20 years;

Whereas robotics technology holds tremendous potential for reducing the cost of healthcare delivery, stimulating the discovery and development of new procedures and treatments for a wide variety of diseases and disorders, improving the standard and accessibility of care, providing individuals with disabilities, especially injured veterans, with greater independence and dignity, and enhancing overall patient health outcomes;

Whereas robotics technology is proving essential to our national defense and homeland security by enabling the ongoing development and fielding of unmanned air, ground, and maritime systems that today help keep our Nation's war-fighters and protectors out of harm's way, and in the long run will serve as a highly effective force multiplier;

Whereas robotics is a key transformative technology that can revolutionize American manufacturing by enabling small and mid-sized companies to cost effectively combine highly skilled workers and highly adaptable, precise, and reliable equipment to create and make high value products in high-stakes industries;

Whereas robotics is rapidly proving to be one of the most effective, compelling, and engaging means for teaching and reinforcing fundamental science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) concepts as well as inspiring the Nation's youth to pursue STEM-related careers thereby helping to create a highly-skilled, 21st century American workforce;

Whereas America's ability to maintain its leadership position and be both globally competitive and cooperative in a wide range of rapidly emerging markets is being currently challenged by other regions, including the European Union, Korea, and Japan, who have committed to making multi-billion dollar, long-term investments in further developing and commercializing robotics technology;

Whereas there is a strong need to recognize America's leadership in robotics technology, educate the public on robotics technology's broad potential, growing importance, and future impact on American society, underscore the need for increased investment in robotics technology research and development, and inspire the Nation's youth to pursue careers in robotics and other STEM-related fields; and

Whereas the second week in April each year is designated as `National Robotics Week', recognizing the accomplishments of Isaac Asimov, who immigrated to America, taught science, wrote science books for children and adults, first used the term robotics , developed the Three Laws of Robotics , and died in April, 1992: Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That the House of Representatives--
(1) supports the designation of National Robotics Week (NRW) as an annual event;
(2) encourages institutions of higher education and companies which utilize robotics technology to hold open houses during NRW to help explain the technology and its applications;
(3) encourages science museums to organize events and demonstrations during NRW that help to educate and engage the public on the utility, importance, and impact of robotics technology;
(4) encourages schools, clubs, and organizations to hold open houses, organize local competitions, and demonstrate student activities relating to the field of robotics technology;
(5) encourages activities that advance the use of robotics to revolutionize the way fundamental science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) concepts are taught in the classroom and that highlight the success that robotics competitions organized by groups such as For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology (FIRST) are having at inspiring students to pursue STEM-related careers; and
(6) affirms the growing importance of robotics technology and supports all other efforts to increase national awareness of the technology and its impact on the future of the Nation.

tl;dr Congress passes National Robotics Week
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Boxilar

Post by Boxilar »

Jabberwonky wrote:I don't know if this guy is troll baiting or just dense, but here's his fears on the 'comparatively unexplored' idea of intelligent robot rebelling against their meaty masters...

Robot Uprising! blog entry from the Amherst Daily News.
E.L. Sparling wrote:Killer robots have been the stuff of sci-fi since the genre appeared. Strangely, while the fantasy scenario of the dead rising from the grave, zombies, has huge traction in popular culture, the entirely possible scenario of robots turning on their masters is comparatively unexplored.
(It only took 5 replies to get a link to an XKCD-What If? about robot uprisings.)

EDIT: repair bad, bad link...Derp!
Um, Okay? Aside from the Metropolis example, I can think of a couple of relitively new examples.

The folks at Cyberdine would like to have a word.

And the survivors of the Colonies of Kobol dissagree as well.

And those are just two examples off the top of my head.

That being said, I much prefer Isamov's vison of the future I was introduced to in the I, Robot and Caves of Steel series.

Edit; There was never an I, Robot movie. I don't know what that thing Will Smith was in was, but it wasn't I, Robot.
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
Atomic wrote:
*Twitches in a nervous tic*. No no no no... that was a misprint on the label which the beaurocrats were too lazy to fix. The actual name of that movie is, based on screen time, "Will Smith's Butt".
And sometimes it's best to just pretend it didn't happen and go on with our lives.

Seriously, though. Asimov. Has no one actually READ his works?
Well, perhaps they read the first two words. It has an I, and a robot. I, Robot. Isn't that enough?
Yeah, the whole attempt to make a valid Science Fiction-Mystery, to make a Robot detective (who fails because, although logical, it was not reasoning)--all out the window.

It did kinda, in a very hazy-peripheral way, remind me of one or the other Robot stories--wasn't there one about a robot told to "get lost!" so it hid out among a bunch of other nearly identical robots?