The best of the best...

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

DinkyInky

The best of the best...

Post by DinkyInky »

...is being laid to rest.

If you don't like melancholy, stop right here, because it is tissue time after this point. Lord knows I have gone through a ton.

Some think of teachers as mere mouthpieces for the board of education, or glorified sitters, or a way to pass your days at scholastic lockup until you grow up.
As I have mentioned many other times, growing up, I was bullied a lot for being Korean and Polish (later told also for being skinny and naturally beautiful) to the point where I tried to forcibly change my looks and nearly ruined myself. My self esteem and worth were non existent, and I had five good friends, only two I am still in contact with(there would be three, but a monster took her away on Valentines Day nearly a decade ago).
This teacher of high school art and photography was no mere educator, and one I was privileged to know as a friend after graduation. I lost contact when in the midst of a bad relationship, and never felt the same ever again. I just learned of his passing, and it hit me as badly as when I lost my Grandfather, my favourite Aunt, and my Great-Grandparents all rolled into one.
Does this give a hint of the effect he had on my life, and all that met him? At the time I met him, he was in severe pain from many back issues, severe carpal tunnel, and caring for a wife suffering from Alzheimers(something I could relate to, because it took away my Busia(Babcia), and shortly after my Dzia dzia from a broken heart). After teaching all day, and wrestling with caregivers issues, he would go and volunteer at Pyramids Inc, a NfP organization that helped kids that were wards or orphans an such, learn how to thrive and survive. He also did a charity Christmas as the big guy for those that had less than nothing, often giving from his own resources. He was an avid gardener(his gardens make most landscapers jealous, and my families greatest treasure were his heirloom hot pepper plant collection that my mother still grows today), and photographer. Coincidentally funny enough, he lived down the street from my Great-Grandparents.
He was also my father's art teacher(I discovered that when in a jewelry class, I held in my hand a jewelers hammer made for him by my father)and after meeting my brother, promised he would not retire until he had at least one class with him in it. He kept that one too. Funeral is this weekend, and I am not sure how well I am gonna hold up, even with a trusted friend watching my son while I attend. Another one is going to drive, because I just cannot right now.

This is what I posted in the online memory book:

There are certain individuals that are more than mere educators. They are mentors, inspiring one to be their greatest, aiding them in their discovery of self, and changing their life in the process of shaping it.

This was such an individual. He was not only my teacher but my fathers and siblings teacher as well.
He made me see myself worthy of anything and everything I set my mind at. He helped my self esteem, at a time when it was most fragile.

He taught not only the textbook art, but practical uses for art in everyday life. His stories in the classroom about his everyday life inspired me. He spoke about growing up, about marriage, children, all while shaping a pinch pot, forming a wax cast for a jewelry piece, setting up that perfect shot with his animals that he brought into the school for a portrait day in photo, even while painting something that came to mind. His approach to ceramics, for example, taught respect, responsibility, and real life moments...it was hands on, all hands on deck, sink, swim, struggle, succeed. It was no mere classroom when you walked into Mr. Shearer's room. It was "Welcome to life 101". If someone didn't take away a life altering experience in his classroom, that would be a grand shock.

Having had the rare privilege to associate outside of class after I graduated was the most humbling honour.
I discovered his approach to life was as splendid as his approach to teaching, devoting time and energy into helping everyone that he could, and all this while caring for his beloved wife who was ill, and inspiring future generations to be great.

If I could distill his philosophy into a single sentence; it would be, "Live life fully with dignity, respect, honour, and believe in yourself."

The world has lost a great. You will be missed and remembered as long as your students live and pass on your teachings, for that is your well-deserved legacy.

Thank you, and God bless you eternally for being who you are.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Re: The best of the best...

Post by Jabberwonky »

The fact that he had the influence on your life to disturb it this much at his passing is simple proof that he lived a good one. He was blessed to have at least one friend that he touched in such a manner.
Your words are a sincere tribute to him.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DinkyInky

Re: The best of the best...

Post by DinkyInky »

Jabberwonky wrote:The fact that he had the influence on your life to disturb it this much at his passing is simple proof that he lived a good one. He was blessed to have at least one friend that he touched in such a manner.
Your words are a sincere tribute to him.
Thank you. He was amazing, and it is my fervent wish that everyone at some point in their life encounter such a person, as it is the most wonderful feeling ever. I probably would not be typing on these forums, nor ever had the joy of being a parent were it not for his positive influence.

My only sorrow is I was not able to introduce him to my son, who always hears my stories of how I learned to do so many neat artsy things. I am going to be a mess later, seeing friends and his family, and old classmates.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir