A Mediocre Day to Die Reluctantly

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

A Mediocre Day to Die Reluctantly

Post by Fairportfan »

Yeah, the critics hate it.

And, to be honest, i agree with a goodly part of what they're saying.

However, the only reason that i would say that this isn't fairly-decent popcorn flick is that i can't afford the popcorn any more.

Interestingly, the trailer seems to have been constructed from alternate takes from what was used in the film - two of my favourite lines from the trailers aren't even in the film.

And one of them is replaced with a truly dumb and unfunny line.

Kate and her friend Jane were complaining that "radiation doesn't work that way". To which my response was "So? Cars don't blow up, either."

(Which reminds me - i know that some of us - well, one of us at least - has spent time in Moscow. How likely would a billboard - apparently in English, at that - advertising the Ford Fusion be in Moscow? Of course, it's very likely that the quick glimpse i got was in footage shot in Budapest, so...)
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Atomic

Re: A Mediocre Day to Die Reluctantly

Post by Atomic »

Well, the critics are looking for "art," and whatever fits their political leanings, more often than not. The audiences are looking for entertainment. 1939 reviews of the Wizard of Oz ran along the lines of "disaster" and "snoozefest." Viewers thought differently.
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Atomic wrote:Well, the critics are looking for "art," and whatever fits their political leanings, more often than not. The audiences are looking for entertainment. 1939 reviews of the Wizard of Oz ran along the lines of "disaster" and "snoozefest." Viewers thought differently.
Not this viewer. That is one of the most over-rated movies ever made.

Right up (or, rather, down) there with It's a Wonderful Life.

And as long as i'm kicking sacred cows - Gone with the Wind is boring, tedious (not necessarily the same thing), overblown and stupid.

==================

ADDED five minutes or so later: In fact, i have to say that the critics are pretty much right about this one - as i think i said.

Just because a movie is objectively bad doesn't mean it's not fun to watch.

The original Gone in 60 Seconds is one of my favourite films to re-watch every so often, and i love Terence Hill and "Bud Spencer"'s spaghetti westerns and dumb buddy films.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Julie

Post by Julie »

Fairportfan wrote:(Which reminds me - i know that some of us - well, one of us at least - has spent time in Moscow. How likely would a billboard - apparently in English, at that - advertising the Ford Fusion be in Moscow? Of course, it's very likely that the quick glimpse i got was in footage shot in Budapest, so...)
I don't recall seeing any billboards in English when I was in Moscow (and I'd have noticed, been amused, and taken a picture of it if I'd spotted one). Granted, that was in the summer of 1999, and things are sure to have changed since then, but still...English is definitively not the primary spoken language, so it seems unlikely to me.
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
Leak

Post by Leak »

I saw it last Friday (in German, so I can't exactly comment on specific lines), but I had the feeling this was a "regular" average action movie where someone added the words "Die Hard" after it was already done...

Where's the hostage or other life threatening situation throughout the film?
Where's stealthily taking out the bad guys one after another?
Where's the snow?
And why doesn't John have a headache throughout the movie? :D
Graybeard

Post by Graybeard »

Julie wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:(Which reminds me - i know that some of us - well, one of us at least - has spent time in Moscow. How likely would a billboard - apparently in English, at that - advertising the Ford Fusion be in Moscow? Of course, it's very likely that the quick glimpse i got was in footage shot in Budapest, so...)
I don't recall seeing any billboards in English when I was in Moscow (and I'd have noticed, been amused, and taken a picture of it if I'd spotted one). Granted, that was in the summer of 1999, and things are sure to have changed since then, but still...English is definitively not the primary spoken language, so it seems unlikely to me.
This really surprises me. I used to spend a fair bit of time in Moscow, and between Sheremetyevo airport and the city center there is (was, anyway) a big freeway that was absolutely jam-packed with billboards advertising stuff in English and Chinese. I do not specifically remember billboards advertising American automobiles (certainly not the Fusion, which hadn't been introduced yet when I was doing my trips there), but far more incongruous things did appear on those billboards.
Julie

Post by Julie »

Graybeard wrote:
Julie wrote:I don't recall seeing any billboards in English when I was in Moscow (and I'd have noticed, been amused, and taken a picture of it if I'd spotted one). Granted, that was in the summer of 1999, and things are sure to have changed since then, but still...English is definitively not the primary spoken language, so it seems unlikely to me.
This really surprises me. I used to spend a fair bit of time in Moscow, and between Sheremetyevo airport and the city center there is (was, anyway) a big freeway that was absolutely jam-packed with billboards advertising stuff in English and Chinese. I do not specifically remember billboards advertising American automobiles (certainly not the Fusion, which hadn't been introduced yet when I was doing my trips there), but far more incongruous things did appear on those billboards.
Well, for what it's worth, I got into Moscow by train...though I did leave by plane, and it definitely would have been the Sheremetyevo airport. *shrugs* I dunno. :) I was 16...and Moscow was the last city of a 2 week trip (that included an accidental 3 day layover in Frankfurt). It's also possible that I didn't have the ability to whip out my camera to take pictures of any English bilboards that we may have seen on the way to the airport because it would have been packed away...and I certainly didn't have a phone that could snap photos (I didn't even get my first cell phone until almost a year after that trip).
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Julie wrote:
Graybeard wrote:
Julie wrote:I don't recall seeing any billboards in English when I was in Moscow (and I'd have noticed, been amused, and taken a picture of it if I'd spotted one). Granted, that was in the summer of 1999, and things are sure to have changed since then, but still...English is definitively not the primary spoken language, so it seems unlikely to me.
Well, for what it's worth, I got into Moscow by train...though I did leave by plane, and it definitely would have been the Sheremetyevo airport. *shrugs* I dunno. :) I was 16...and Moscow was the last city of a 2 week trip (that included an accidental 3 day layover in Frankfurt). It's also possible that I didn't have the ability to whip out my camera to take pictures of any English bilboards that we may have seen on the way to the airport because it would have been packed away...and I certainly didn't have a phone that could snap photos (I didn't even get my first cell phone until almost a year after that trip).
You kids make me feel old. I remember my Mother coming back from Korea just in time for school to start. I was a sophomore. One month later, the Berlin Wall came down. She is still praying for the day when the Northerners get their collective brainwashed heads out of their arses, and the DMZ is no longer a necessity.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

I actually believe this is from Finland or other Nordic country. Ah. Close enough.
cool-Die-Hard-movie-ad.jpg
cool-Die-Hard-movie-ad.jpg (69.08 KiB) Viewed 6699 times
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Jabberwonky wrote:I actually believe this is from Finland or other Nordic country. Ah. Close enough.
Ayup...that sums it up rather nicely...
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

DinkyInky wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:I actually believe this is from Finland or other Nordic country. Ah. Close enough.
Come now, to sum it up you need a train in place of the car. :mrgreen:
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Mark N wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:
Come now, to sum it up you need a train in place of the car. :mrgreen:
A wreck is a wreck...and that sums up all of those movies not just the first one...

--Safyr Drathmir
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

But a "train wreck" is a phrase that means more than it says - like unto "Chinese fire drill" and "Italian pit stop".

I've seen an Italian pit stop. It wasn't pretty.

(Funny - yes. Pretty - no.)
=====================
=====================
mike weber