Things Dr Seuss said

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

Things Dr Seuss said

Post by Fairportfan »

From a post listing [size=200]10 Memorable Dr. Seuss Quotes ... ork[/size]:
On the inspiration for Horton Hatches the Egg: "I was in my New York studio one day, sketching on transparent tracing paper, and I had the window open. The wind simply took a picture of an elephant that I'd drawn and put it on top of another sheet of paper that had a tree on it. All I had to do was to figure out what the elephant was doing in that tree."
On whether that trick ever worked again: "I've left my window open for 30 years since that, but nothing's happened."
On where he gets his ideas: "I get all my ideas in Switzerland near the Forka Pass. There is a little town called Gletch, and two thousand feet up above Gletch there is a smaller hamlet called Über Gletch. I go there on the fourth of August every summer to get my cuckoo clock fixed. While the cuckoo is in the hospital, I wander around and talk to the people in the streets. They are very strange people, and I get my ideas from them." (He wasn't a fan of this question, apparently.)
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
bmonk

Re: Things Dr Seuss said

Post by bmonk »

Fairportfan wrote:From a post listing [size=200]10 Memorable Dr. Seuss Quotes ... ork[/size]:
On the inspiration for Horton Hatches the Egg: "I was in my New York studio one day, sketching on transparent tracing paper, and I had the window open. The wind simply took a picture of an elephant that I'd drawn and put it on top of another sheet of paper that had a tree on it. All I had to do was to figure out what the elephant was doing in that tree."
On whether that trick ever worked again: "I've left my window open for 30 years since that, but nothing's happened."
On where he gets his ideas: "I get all my ideas in Switzerland near the Forka Pass. There is a little town called Gletch, and two thousand feet up above Gletch there is a smaller hamlet called Über Gletch. I go there on the fourth of August every summer to get my cuckoo clock fixed. While the cuckoo is in the hospital, I wander around and talk to the people in the streets. They are very strange people, and I get my ideas from them." (He wasn't a fan of this question, apparently.)
I don't recall which author it was, but one author got tired of people asking where he got the ideas for his books and stories--so he told them he ordered them by mail from a small town in upstate New York. . . .
ShneekeyTheLost

Post by ShneekeyTheLost »

bmonk wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:From a post listing [size=200]10 Memorable Dr. Seuss Quotes ... ork[/size]:
I don't recall which author it was, but one author got tired of people asking where he got the ideas for his books and stories--so he told them he ordered them by mail from a small town in upstate New York. . . .
Mercedes Lackey joked about an Idea of the Month Club via one of her characters which also happened to be an author.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Mercedes Lackey joked about an Idea of the Month Club via one of her characters which also happened to be an author.
I do hope it wasn't Leslac. He's like Othar Trygvassen...after a while, everyone wants to toss him out of a window(airship).
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
ShneekeyTheLost

DinkyInky wrote:
ShneekeyTheLost wrote:Mercedes Lackey joked about an Idea of the Month Club via one of her characters which also happened to be an author.
I do hope it wasn't Leslac. He's like Othar Trygvassen...after a while, everyone wants to toss him out of a window(airship).
No, this was Diana Tregrade: witch, author, and Guardian. Specifically, from Jinx High.

Leslac got his ideas by stalkin... er... I mean authoring the great deeds of the mighty Swordlady and her Sorceress companion.

And really, you can't say that nothing good ever came of Leslac... there's a fairly persistent Fanon claim that Dirk is descended from him. You know, after he was wed at swordpoi... er... I mean King's Decree.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:
No, this was Diana Tregrade: witch, author, and Guardian. Specifically, from Jinx High.

Leslac got his ideas by stalkin... er... I mean authoring the great deeds of the mighty Swordlady and her Sorceress companion.

And really, you can't say that nothing good ever came of Leslac... there's a fairly persistent Fanon claim that Dirk is descended from him. You know, after he was wed at swordpoi... er... I mean King's Decree.
Really? iiiinteresting.

It was a dark and stormy night, or so the Heralds say...
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
ShneekeyTheLost

DinkyInky wrote:Really? iiiinteresting.

Well, according to the chain of logic, Leslac had more than one son. His first son inherited, the second son went off and became a wandering Bard. Since they lived in Valdamar, he got sent to the Colligium, got his Reds, then went up North, up by the Forest of Sorrows, got very ill in a blizzard, and... well... the rest follows the story as Kris told Talia.

It's... specious, hence the term 'fannon' rather than 'cannon'. It has been neither confirmed nor denied by Officialdom, whom I believe is pretending to not hear it. But it's at least theoretically plausible. Been the premise of more than one fanfic, I believe.
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

ShneekeyTheLost wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:Really? iiiinteresting.

Well, according to the chain of logic, Leslac had more than one son. His first son inherited, the second son went off and became a wandering Bard. Since they lived in Valdamar, he got sent to the Colligium, got his Reds, then went up North, up by the Forest of Sorrows, got very ill in a blizzard, and... well... the rest follows the story as Kris told Talia.

It's... specious, hence the term 'fannon' rather than 'cannon'. It has been neither confirmed nor denied by Officialdom, whom I believe is pretending to not hear it. But it's at least theoretically plausible. Been the premise of more than one fanfic, I believe.
Which she squashes when she can, because some of her fandom is certifiable.

--Safyr Drathmir