Fellow Explorer 2013-01-31

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Wyvern

Re: Fellow Explorer 2013-01-31

Post by Wyvern »

NOTDilbert wrote:I think you may be closer than the rest of us - after all, the first thing most think of about 'bird woman' is 'harpy' - although you've shown either one might be right....
Have to wait on Paul to clarify...

Pablo clarified in the comments Thursday, and then in Friday's strip. Atsali is a siren.
You should be reading the Wapsi Square Wiki.
Hansontoons

Post by Hansontoons »

DilyV wrote:
Hansontoons wrote:As GIR said, "It's got chicken legs!". First thing through my feeble brain when viewing second panel. :D

Too bad tomorrow is Friday, that means two days follow sans new Wapsi!
Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase: "The chick's got bird legs!"

Love your Avatar pic... Werner Voss's Fokker DR.1 I do believe... =)
Yep, replica at Pioneer Flight Museum near Kingsbury, TX. You can see flight videos on website or YouTube.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Wouldn't it be funny if the seven figurines weren't representative of the girls, but were of seven new characters?

Let's see:
  1. Atsali
  2. Lily
  3. Suzi
  4. Bia
  5. Nudge
  6. Tsillah
  7. Phix?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Julie wrote:What's cat on top and bird on bottom then? A reverse griffon?? :shock:
I've heard of a creature from Middle Eastern mythology called a 'Siresh' (sp?). Large cat in front, bird behind.
The reference was from Steve Quayle on an episode of Coast to Coast A.M. But I've never found any info on it.
Take that for what it's worth.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Dave

Post by Dave »

Jabberwonky wrote:
Julie wrote:What's cat on top and bird on bottom then? A reverse griffon?? :shock:
I've heard of a creature from Middle Eastern mythology called a 'Siresh' (sp?). Large cat in front, bird behind.
The reference was from Steve Quayle on an episode of Coast to Coast A.M. But I've never found any info on it.
That might be a reference to the sirrush, a.k.a "the dragon of the Ishtar Gate". The novel of that name by De Camp describes an expedition in search of a live sirrush during Babylonian times. The forelegs were feline, the hindquarters more reptilian than bird (but as birds are likely of dinosaurian ancestry this distinction isn't all that critical).

So, possibly, a sirrush is simply a noffirg by another name.
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Dave wrote:
Jabberwonky wrote:
That might be a reference to the sirrush, a.k.a "the dragon of the Ishtar Gate". The novel of that name by De Camp describes an expedition in search of a live sirrush during Babylonian times. The forelegs were feline, the hindquarters more reptilian than bird (but as birds are likely of dinosaurian ancestry this distinction isn't all that critical).

So, possibly, a sirrush is simply a noffirg by another name.
That's the guy. He, Steven Quayle, mentioned it with the Ishtar Gate.
His theory was that it was real, but the product of genetic manipulation by ancient 'gods' that also genetically modified humans to the state we're in now.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

[quote="Akasha"ah, as a matter of fact, it shows that the intonation is important in greek, Άτσαλη=clumsy and Ατσάλι=steel differ in two things, one, the emphasis is on the first syllable and on the second syllable in the other, and in gender, female first, and neutral the second. clumsy versus steel.[/quote]
:like: :like: