...he just didn't catch it where he was SUPPOSED to ...

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

...he just didn't catch it where he was SUPPOSED to ...

Post by Fairportfan »

Man wins fishing tourney with fish stolen from aquarium
David Strege/GrindTV wrote:A man on the island of Guernsey in the English Channel caught a 13-pound bass to win an ocean fishing contest and $1,290, only he didn't actually catch the fish in the traditional sense. He stole it from the St. Peter Port Aquarium.

Matthew Clark, 29, posed for photos of his winning "catch" and claimed the prize in the Bailiwick Bass Club Open Competition before getting exposed by another competitor who recognized the fish.

"My wife and I took the kids to the aquarium and saw the bass in the tank," Shane Bentley told The Mirror. "It stood out because it had some very distinct markings on its head.

"It wasn't until the winning fish was lifted for the photo that I thought, 'That's the fish from the aquarium.'

"Next morning, I went to the aquarium and asked to see the bass with the markings. But neither myself nor the owner could find it anywhere."

Bentley told contest organizers, who then alerted police. The Mirror reported that Clark panicked and sold the bass to a fishmonger, but police matched the head of the fish carcass to the missing bass and arrested Clark.

Clark wound up confessing to burglary and fraud over the summer incident, and on Thursday he was given 100 hours of community service after taking a two-year oath of good behavior.

According to The Mirror, Clark owed the owner of the aquarium $2,400, so on the last day of the fishing tournament, he scaled cliffs, climbed a rope ladder, and snuck into the aquarium through a back door. He presumably used a net to catch the fish.

It was unknown whether Bentley caught a fish in the contest, but he did catch a thief.
Well, he did catch it.

I'm a little confused as to the logic in this graf:
According to The Mirror, Clark owed the owner of the aquarium $2,400, so on the last day of the fishing tournament, he scaled cliffs, climbed a rope ladder, and snuck into the aquarium through a back door. He presumably used a net to catch the fish.
And did the fish survive its adventures?
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
lake_wrangler

Re: ...he just didn't catch it where he was SUPPOSED to ...

Post by lake_wrangler »

Fairportfan wrote:And did the fish survive its adventures?
I would tend to say no:
The Mirror reported that Clark panicked and sold the bass to a fishmonger, but police matched the head of the fish carcass to the missing bass and arrested Clark.
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Yeah. I missed that. And i always tested 90+ percent on comprehension and retention...

EDIT to add:

Ah! There was a link and i missed it.

I can only plead, in my own defense, being hauled away while i was typing the post for both granddaughters' birthday cake and gifts. (Maggie, 7 today; Vellie 5 in a couple of days.)

It might have survived, i guess if
Meanwhile, the thief had panicked and sold the bass to a fishmonger.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Further:

Hmmm
Clark owed the manager of the island’s St Peter Port Aquarium £1,500 so hatched a plan to break into the aquarium, steal the bass and then return it while paying off some of his debt
Wot - he figured he could say, "Oh, look! This fish wot I have just caughted just happens to be that fish wot had took a walk from out your lovely aquarium, and is there maybe a reward for preventing its escape?"
=====================
=====================
mike weber