I have a store!

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

chibichibi01

I have a store!

Post by chibichibi01 »

http://www.etsy.com/shop/chibichibi01

I finally got my Etsy site up and running :3 I can finally make money off of my hobby! Three cheers for hobbying!
ImageImage
Fairportfan

Re: I have a store!

Post by Fairportfan »

neet
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Nice. How long have you been knitting like that?
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

A year or so? I've been giving the results away though rather than selling them and the boyfriend began to complain there was too much yarn around the house...
ImageImage
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Cool. Make a few Doctor Who, HP, and animal ear hats, and when next he complains, take him out to dinner from the proceeds of your hobby.
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

Thats the plan! Cat-eared hats are next on the list, and I'll probably get the colors and start making HP house color hats too.
ImageImage
shadowinthelight

Post by shadowinthelight »

Don't just make them cat-eared hats, make them jaguar girl hats. :)
Julie, about Wapsi Square wrote:Oh goodness yes. So much paranormal!

Image My deviantART and YouTube.
I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

shadowinthelight wrote:Don't just make them cat-eared hats, make them jaguar girl hats. :)
I am terribad with patterns D: I don't think I could do the spots... But if I just made them red like her hair....
ImageImage
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

chibichibi01 wrote:
shadowinthelight wrote:Don't just make them cat-eared hats, make them jaguar girl hats. :)
I am terribad with patterns D: I don't think I could do the spots... But if I just made them red like her hair....
Spots can be sewn on afterward with a lighter gauge yarn. Another technique is using varigated yarn. You can also use chenille for soft fuzzy "fur", but that adds to cost and labour.

My cathats were a cheat because I crocheted the ears and whip-stitched them on, and I loom knit. Otherwise I look like the naughty kitty in the yarn basket.

The reason I mentioned the Baker scarf, is that every time I make and wear one, I invariably end up with either someone buying it off my neck for ridiculous sums, or a note from a sib's friend with cash attached that they have permanently "borrowed" my scarf. I've only made four(thirteen feet of scarf is a PitA to loom knit). I' m sure the Who fans are as rabid near you.

I currently own a "Ravenclaw" scarf(book version apparently), that was just an overlong turquoise/tealish and silver one that everyone told me was a HP one, so I just made them, and smiled all the way to the bank. I have also made red and gold ones for a school colours thing that apparently is also a Gryffindor one, and made about twice what the school ones did as school colours.

Important thing is doing it as a hobby, and have the money bit is bonus, otherwise you will burn out.
Attachments
Edit: My son is four foot tall, to give you an idea of the length.
Edit: My son is four foot tall, to give you an idea of the length.
IMG_20130105_095543.jpg (132.63 KiB) Viewed 9574 times
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

--Safyr Drathmir
Dave

Post by Dave »

DinkyInky wrote:The reason I mentioned the Baker scarf, is that every time I make and wear one, I invariably end up with either someone buying it off my neck for ridiculous sums, or a note from a sib's friend with cash attached that they have permanently "borrowed" my scarf. I've only made four(thirteen feet of scarf is a PitA to loom knit). I' m sure the Who fans are as rabid near you.
If you want to make matters even worse, offer them for sale and advertise that you'll include a bag of Jelly Babies with each one :)
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

Hats and arm warmers are enough for me right now. Scarves makes my wrists hurt just thinking about it, especially 13 feet of Dr. Who Scarf. I'd get so bored.

I like hats and the arm warmers because they make me feel accomplished when I finish them in a reasonable time ahahaha. And instead of how I've been doing the hats, I can always Flat knit them and stitch up the corners to make a kitty eared hat.
ImageImage
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Dave wrote:
DinkyInky wrote:The reason I mentioned the Baker scarf, is that every time I make and wear one, I invariably end up with either someone buying it off my neck for ridiculous sums, or a note from a sib's friend with cash attached that they have permanently "borrowed" my scarf. I've only made four(thirteen feet of scarf is a PitA to loom knit). I' m sure the Who fans are as rabid near you.
If you want to make matters even worse, offer them for sale and advertise that you'll include a bag of Jelly Babies with each one :)
Good Lord, what an idea! If I ever do make and wear another one again, I ought to walk around eating some and see what trouble I get into. Oh yeah, and I'll get a pic and make sure to post it along with how long it took for my handiwork to vanish from my neck and how big a pile of cash I get for it this time...

--Safyr Drathmir
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

DinkyInky wrote:
Dave wrote:
Good Lord, what an idea! If I ever do make and wear another one again, I ought to walk around eating some and see what trouble I get into. Oh yeah, and I'll get a pic and make sure to post it along with how long it took for my handiwork to vanish from my neck and how big a pile of cash I get for it this time...
Well if you do that at a Con you just have to say you are cosplaying Romanna, Then see if you can hook buyers.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

Here ya go! A rocking chair knitter! Easy on the wrists, great for long scarves, and you can catch up on your metaphysics reading while you work. The best of all worlds!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

I remember seeing for sale years ago a 'toy' that children could knit with - two toys, actually. One was about eighteen inches long and attached to the edge of a table. Yarn was threaded onto the first row, and then the operator slid a shuttle-like piece back and forth, which automatically wove the loose end of yarn onto the previous row. You could make panels 'X' wide and infinitely long - eventually.

The other was circular (about a foot) and had a crank handle. This one was similarly primed, and once started, would make a knitted tube.

Not satisfying if you like the traditional method, but if you have pain, and can find one of these, it might help. (May have been a RONCO product).
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

NOTDilbert wrote:I remember seeing for sale years ago a 'toy' that children could knit with - two toys, actually. One was about eighteen inches long and attached to the edge of a table. Yarn was threaded onto the first row, and then the operator slid a shuttle-like piece back and forth, which automatically wove the loose end of yarn onto the previous row. You could make panels 'X' wide and infinitely long - eventually.

The other was circular (about a foot) and had a crank handle. This one was similarly primed, and once started, would make a knitted tube.

Not satisfying if you like the traditional method, but if you have pain, and can find one of these, it might help. (May have been a RONCO product).
I use the nifty knitters looms in various sizes for mine. Wrap yarn around pegs, use needle to pop loops over each other. I used to use nails on a board, but this was way easier to carry around.

The scarf in the picture took four hours(because I doubled the number of loops to make it heavier). Carpal tunnel makes old fashioned knitting rather not good, not to mention I look like a kitten in the yarn basket when I do try.

--Safyr Drathmir
chibichibi01

Post by chibichibi01 »

They have a mechanical tube knitter for kids. I saw it. I was... horrified? Not the right word... I got up on my "old lady" high horse and started ranting about kids today and their fancy machines.

Loom scarf though... that looks interesting...
ImageImage
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

NOTDilbert wrote:I remember seeing for sale years ago a 'toy' that children could knit with - two toys, actually. One was about eighteen inches long and attached to the edge of a table. Yarn was threaded onto the first row, and then the operator slid a shuttle-like piece back and forth, which automatically wove the loose end of yarn onto the previous row. You could make panels 'X' wide and infinitely long - eventually.

It was a bright yellow and red contraption? I remember someone's kid having one. But they make actual professional versions of the tube-o-matic and a flat panel knitter. I had a friend with carpal tunnel that ended up with a contraption that knit a flat panel adjustable out to two feet wide and as long as you had the patience for.
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Jabberwonky wrote:

It was a bright yellow and red contraption? I remember someone's kid having one. But they make actual professional versions of the tube-o-matic and a flat panel knitter. I had a friend with carpal tunnel that ended up with a contraption that knit a flat panel adjustable out to two feet wide and as long as you had the patience for.
Don't remember the colors, but now that you mention it, I have seen 'pro' versions (Larger, no kid-friendly colors). And the Hanes T-shirt factory has high-speed tube knitters; I'm sure there's a vid somewhere of them in action....
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville