Sort-of-disposable USB memoery sticks ... made of paper

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Fairportfan

Sort-of-disposable USB memoery sticks ... made of paper

Post by Fairportfan »

Could be included in magazines. Tear off, fold twice, plug into USB port.

Also functions wirelessly. Capacity up to 32meg.

Not actually in production yet.

Dammit.
Not even duct tape can fix stupid. But it can muffle the noise.
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Re: Sort-of-disposable USB memoery sticks ... made of paper

Post by Jabberwonky »

Okay, that's pretty cool...especially the smart note end of it.

And I still remember people saying "128k of memory? What in the world would you need that much memory for?" when the Commodore 128 came out...
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Heh. I remember someone saying "On an Apple II with 48K and assembly language you could rule the world..."
=====================
Peace through superior firepower - ain't nothin' more peaceful than a dead troublemaker.
=====================
mike weber
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

Fairportfan wrote:Heh. I remember someone saying "On an Apple II with 48K and assembly language you could rule the world..."
Probably one of the people that I knew that started on Crystal Palace BBS back in the day.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

Park this discovery next to the disposable cellphone as a magazine insert you found earlier.... :)
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Mark N wrote:
Fairportfan wrote:Heh. I remember someone saying "On an Apple II with 48K and assembly language you could rule the world..."
Probably one of the people that I knew that started on Crystal Palace BBS back in the day.
Actually, it was in a magazine article about the original Mac's upcoming release ... or maybe it was the PCjr ... one or the other.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
bmonk

Post by bmonk »

Of course, back in those days, Microsoft was known for being, err, small: very tightly programmed and efficient. Once they had more room to play with, they decided to become one program to rule them all. . . . (apparently mainly by being so big they just filled the available space)
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Remember the days when application size was everything, so you were taught to code concisely?
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

bmonk wrote:
Of course, back in those days, Microsoft was known for being, err, small: very tightly programmed and efficient. Once they had more room to play with, they decided to become one program to rule them all. . . . (apparently mainly by being so big they just filled the available space)
Memory bloat started with the PC - PC versions of Apple programs that would run happily in 64K (or even 48K) required 128K or even 256K ... and didn't do anything extra.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

jwhouk wrote:Remember the days when application size was everything, so you were taught to code concisely?
Heck. I remember the days when people looked at you funny if your circuit-board layout called for an inverter package instead of using the gate you didn't have any other need for in the quad-NAND package...
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Jabberwonky

Post by Jabberwonky »

Took a little digging, but I knew I had it somewheres...
1989 Tandy 5000 MC.JPG
1989 Tandy 5000 MC.JPG (42.74 KiB) Viewed 9529 times
"lightning-fast 20MHz,"

(and it's sitting on a desk overlooking Sim City)
"The price of perfection is prohibitive." - Anonymous
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

Those 386's were what I learned to code on.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

I worked a year-and-a-half at AMI (yes - the BIOS company), which was founded by the Indian engineers who designed the first working 386 motherboard.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
Mark N

Post by Mark N »

My first PC was a Tandy 1000 SX. It was an 8088 processor and what Radio Shack called Desk-mate software for a somewhat graphical interface and 2 disk drives but no hard drive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_1000). Before that I had used friends Apple ][ and first gen Macs
Last edited by Mark N on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
This message is brought to you by the "Let the artist know how much you LOVE his work" council.
Atomic

Post by Atomic »

First computer was an Apple ][ (with one floppy drive and drive card) -- 16K, bought another 32K in memory chips at Radio Shack, then bought the 16K expansion card for a total of 64K! W00t! Later came the improved power supply, fan/power switch, and another card (forget the name) that doubled the system speed. Finally, a printer (and a parallel card), Hayes Micromodem 300, and eventually, a Sider ][ -- 10MB external hard drive (needing a serial card to drive it). Eventually graduated to 14.4K modem and a better (still dot matrix) printer.

Lots of programming, lots of games, lots of dial-up BBS stuff (anybody remember Blue Wave?), and lots of word processing.

PR#6
3D0G
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Fairportfan

Post by Fairportfan »

Started with an Apple IIc, got a IIgs, loved it, got shafted royally by Jobs, hate Apple ever since.
=====================
=====================
mike weber
NOTDilbert

Post by NOTDilbert »

I had a roomie with an Apple ii for a while; after that I started with a Vic 20, then moved up to a Commodore 64. Computer-less for a bit after that; the got a lappy with Win 3.1. All those big plans for little systems - like someone changing clothes in a phone booth who ISN'T Superman......
"Imagination is more important than Knowledge" - Albert Einstein
"History doesn't repeat itself, but it DOES rhyme" - Mark Twain
"Always. Expect. Ninjas." - Syndey Scoville
Julie

Post by Julie »

Jabberwonky wrote:Took a little digging, but I knew I had it somewheres...
EDITED: Old computer ad
"lightning-fast 20MHz,"

(and it's sitting on a desk overlooking Sim City)
Huh...that one had colors other than green on a black background? The first computers I remember touching were in 2nd grade (which would have been 1989-1990) in a keyboarding class...and they had black screens with green text/images. Then again, now that I think about it, I remember visiting my Uncle Mike's home when I was around that age...maybe a year ot two older...and seeing a color screen computer (my cousin John played Doom on it...and let me play his Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego game on it).
"Just open your eyes
And see that life is beautiful."
DinkyInky

Post by DinkyInky »

Business school I went to had all Apple, all the time. Amber and green monitors with burnout. The DTP programs were a PitA, but all the newspapers were using them. My dad had over a thousand free credit hours there that he never used due to him going in and fixing all the issues the school had. Three kids and Management job meant no free time.

My Father had a Timex Sinclair 1000 and 2068, TI-99/4A, Amstrad' s, and a few other nerdy bits(apple' s were in the corner for when there was more time to play.
I also remember when Purdue University had a Computer Lab with a single computer in it, and you had to go through a TON of prerequisites to use it. That thing was HUGE. He took me to see it wen I was little, and he said one day we will have pocket sized computers, to which the professor scoffed.

Mother didn't allow a computer in the house for a loooong time, and told from teacher to superintendent where to shove it, as my siblings both could do the work faster than the machines. When she did, we had an Aptiva. My brother shortly got EverQuest on it. Later, Father got me a computer which remained in a box(I talked my brother into putting it together by offering to swap the two gig hard drive for an eight). The only thing other than Dragon Naturally Speaking that I remember about it, was the Riva TNT II and soundblaster card. My wee one still uses the Eastern Digital Speakers for his music.

My current render farm is a blend of Windows and Linux machines, which I persuade to make my pictures whenever I feel tech inspired, otherwise I get brushes, paint, oils, watercolours, and canvas or paper.

Gotta love "disposable" tech...
Yanno how some people have Angels/Devils for a conscience? I have a Dark Elf ShadowKnight and a Half Elf Ranger for mine. The really bad part is when they agree on something.

Aphyon chu kissa whol l'jaed.
--Safyr Drathmir