We have until about Christmas before new material, Where's the portal to the coffeehouse?

Need to talk about the day's episode of Wapsi? This is the place to do it. Play nice! ^_^

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Forum rules
When two threads are posted for a day's comic, the thread posted first becomes the starting post. Please delete the second thread and add your post to the first thread. When naming the thread: Comic Name YYYY-MM-DD
Thanks guys! This keeps the forum nice and neat.
Atomic

Re: We have until about Christmas before new material, Where's the portal to the coffeehouse?

Post by Atomic »

Opus the Poet wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:56 pm Same as most (like 75-80%) of drivers declare their driving as "above average to exceptional".
Be careful when using or criticizing statistics. Most people have an above average number of legs, for instance. It's because a few people have, sadly, lost one of theirs. This puts that average to somewhere well above 98%.

It also depends on how you define the rating. 10,000 drivers, 4 collisions = 99.96% Science, baby!
Don't let other peoples limitations become your constraints!

My Deviant Art scribbles
The Atomic Guide to Basic GIMP Stuff
Opus the Poet

Re: We have until about Christmas before new material, Where's the portal to the coffeehouse?

Post by Opus the Poet »

If that's your criterion then you have set a low bar. Mine is set on how much room you leave vulnerable road users like cyclists and pedestrians. Or if you use your vehicle as a weapon, then you're most definitely a bad driver.

Anywho, pit boss, could I trouble you for a smoked sausage and another round of that potato salad? And Tina could I please have another cup of hot tea?
I ride my bike to ride my bike, and sometimes it takes me where I need to go.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

My rule for drivers is: If someone brags about being a good driver . . . they aren't.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

FreeFlier wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:54 pm My rule for drivers is: If someone brags about being a good driver . . . they aren't.
I'm a very humble person... it's my best quality... In fact, I am proud of my humility... :twisted:
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Hey lake wrangler how's the weather in Quebec? We had a high of 72F today, finally getting some fall weather here in TX.

Pit boss, could I trouble you for a slice or two of brisket and a scoop of that 'tater salad? And Tina I need some more tea if you please and Thank You.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Opus the Poet wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:59 pm Hey lake wrangler how's the weather in Quebec? We had a high of 72F today, finally getting some fall weather here in TX.
It's been averaging around 5°C (41°F) at night, and 15°C (60°F) during the day, although we have had a few days of over 20°C (68°F), and one of 25°C (77°F), at one point.

Fall colours are still out there, but many trees have already shed their leaves.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

We're not getting colors this year except for brown. The drought kinda killed the colors this year and our trees aren't doing so good. The pecan didn't fruit, and the squirrels are looking thin and are getting aggressive over what little food there is.
Sgt. Howard

Post by Sgt. Howard »

We just got our first snow today- rather wet, less than an inch.
Rule 17 of the Bombay Golf Course- "You shall play the ball where the monkey drops it,"
I speak fluent Limrick-
the Old Sgt.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

It isn't sticking on the other side of the mountains . . . . yet. And it isn't supposed to . . . yet. Snow level is down around 1000 feet, though.

Had soggy slush splutting on the windshield on the way to the shop,though.

--FreeFlier
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

This town says "snow, what's that?". Cold tonight though: 44 degrees. Or maybe 43 depending on which forecaster you ask.

(There's a reason I live in a motorhome. The area where we usually spend summers, the daytime highs are currently colder than this town's overnight lows. And there's this strange white stuff...)
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Hey, where I went to college, we used to claim that the only thing between us and the North Pole was a fence . . . that blew down last winter . . .

That wasn't true,but is certainly felt like it!

--FreeFlier
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Well, it's a bit warmer today, and it would be rude of me to stop by without ordering anything, so Pit Boss could I trouble you for smoked sausage and another serving of that potato salad? And Tina could you rustle up a pitcher of sweet tea pretty please darlin'? Thank you kindly. And the diamonds were a mite larger from this cleaning of the depositor, I think they're about a half carat each this time, the machine must have been malfunctioning. I reckon about a pound should square away my account.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I just put my wife in a nursing home because I can't take care of her, and I was hoping to see someone besides Tina and the pit boss in here.

Tina, cuppa Irish Breakfast with 2 1/2 sugars and a splash of milk, and an apple fritter if you could be so kind. Will a cup of half-karat diamonds cover that? The diamond layering machine is still making high quality half-karat diamonds instead of dust, but aside from that it's depositing within spec on the electronic parts to the Orions don't care, but instead of easily disposed of abrasives I have an unfortunate amount of gems to dispose of, and these are worth less than the dust they used to give me.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I'm very sorry to hear that.

--FreeFlier
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Getting old sucks.

But most people prefer it to the alternative.

(We got back just a few days ago from taking my mother-in-law out of a nursing home... in an urn.)
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Opus, mate - we need to talk about those industrial rocks the Orions are sticking you with.I have friends in Tel Aviv in the trade who can take quantities like that and convert them, so no need to fritter (pardon the pun) them away in straight sales.

In any case, I am in the market, small stones like that are endlessly useful for dressing abrasives, cutting extremely hard ceramic composites and all sorts of engineering tasks. You and I need to make a deal, me bucko...

ajr
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

I'm quite familiar with the alternative, Warrl, I experienced it for a couple of minutes back near the start of the 21st century. It's nice, but I wouldn't want to live there. The TV there sucks.
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Just Old Al wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:52 am Opus, mate - we need to talk about those industrial rocks the Orions are sticking you with.I have friends in Tel Aviv in the trade who can take quantities like that and convert them, so no need to fritter (pardon the pun) them away in straight sales.

In any case, I am in the market, small stones like that are endlessly useful for dressing abrasives, cutting extremely hard ceramic composites and all sorts of engineering tasks. You and I need to make a deal, me bucko...

ajr
I have an outlet for the dust, in ton lots even, but these things are too big to use for industrial purposes. I'm not sure what half-karat diamonds convert to in abrasive grit sizes but it's way less than anything usable. They're almost gravel size...can you imagine the wear properties of roads paved with diamonds as aggregate? :lol:
Just Old Al

Post by Just Old Al »

Opus the Poet wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:12 am
I have an outlet for the dust, in ton lots even, but these things are too big to use for industrial purposes. I'm not sure what half-karat diamonds convert to in abrasive grit sizes but it's way less than anything usable. They're almost gravel size...can you imagine the wear properties of roads paved with diamonds as aggregate? :lol:
Actually I'm well aware of the stone sizes you're talking about and I mean every word I say.

That size is Quite useful, not only to my friends in Tel Aviv for decorating tourists, but in industrial usage as well. I have two or three of them in my workshop at present - mounted stones that get used for dressing cutting and grinding wheels. Absolutely essential for the purpose, and one can never have enough of them. A regualr supply of them can easily be disposed of on an industrial scale once 'potted' into holders - half-carat isn;t THAT big, but is just the right size for that usage.

As far as use as cutting tips in lathes and milling machines, ditto. Encapsulate them in holders with suitable cutting surfaces outward and then diamond cut diamond to prepare them for use.

(every last word of the above is true... industrial diamonds are incredibly useful things.)

ajr
"The Empire was founded on cups of tea, mate, and if you think I am going to war without one you are sadly mistaken."
Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Tell your "friend" in Tel Aviv to prepare for several tons of small stones then. Seriously, they packed every spare cc of the cargo hold with these things, aside from what space I set aside for my favorite foods from there. Bront steaks are not the same as beef or pork, but they're pretty good anyway. The Orions in this system keep their bronts pretty lean so the meat cooks best with moist heat, I've found that placing a container of water in the microwave with the meat works well. I also found that the "radiant" setting browns the meat slightly for good flavor. I won't suffer you to know what passes for "pizza" with the Orions, as they are almost completely lactose intolerant as a race, so no cheese on their "pizza". They do have tomatoes so there is red sauce and they just add various types of meat and fish as toppings. It's decent once you accept the "no cheese".

But to be fair, I can find something enjoyable about just about any cuisine, probably due to getting exposed to so many as a military brat.