More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

Warrl

Re: More Stuff

Post by Warrl »

Alkarii wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:21 pm This must be a weaker variant, because it feels like a typical fever. Headache, fever, cough, and a stuffy nose.
When we got it (early June) it was even milder than that - we didn't get the headache or fever.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, I'm probably going to have to go to work with this crap tomorrow, because they have yet to update my schedule or actually call me.

Edit: well, the case says I was approved for leave, and they made it start today, so I was credited my unpaid time off that I had originally selected to use, before testing positive.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:20 pm Well, I'm probably going to have to go to work with this crap tomorrow, because they have yet to update my schedule or actually call me.

Edit: well, the case says I was approved for leave, and they made it start today, so I was credited my unpaid time off that I had originally selected to use, before testing positive.
Good... take the time off you need, rest, isolate from others, and take care of yourself. Here's hoping your body fights it off quickly!

Trying to "push through" an illness like this, and keep working, usually isn't good for either you or anyone else.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Well, already things appear to be looking better. My fever is down to 99.7, and it was 101 point something before.

Only real issue I'm having besides the headache is the lower back pain and the discomfort in my legs.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Warrl wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:19 pm
Alkarii wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:21 pmThis must be a weaker variant, because it feels like a typical fever. Headache, fever, cough, and a stuffy nose.
When we got it (early June) it was even milder than that - we didn't get the headache or fever.
My sister has COVID at the moment . . . the only reason she knows is that she was to visit someone with an age-compromised immune system so she took the test and it came back positive. Otherwise it looks like standard late-summer hay fever (allergies).

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Fever's gone, but I'm coughing up phlegm on occasion. I also have to get a doctor to diagnose it as Covid and give me that in writing so I get temporary disability pay.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

I had covid back in May... typical cold symptoms, in exactly the same order as a normal cold for me. Except it lasted two weeks instead of one, like a normal cold would. I wanted to go to the clinic to get checked out, and figured they would probably want to know, so I took an at-home rapid test, and it came back positive. I had no idea! As per the then-rules, I isolated myself for five days, and wore a mask at work for five more days (even though another at-home rapid test had shown negative).

I have been boosting my immune system with some specific vitamins for a while, now... I am sure that helped.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

So, my brother has discovered a fondness for lawn care recently. He also tends to wear a white t-shirt, jeans, and tand work boots, and he's been having to borrow his father in law's red truck lately.

He has become Hank Hill.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 7:23 pm So, my brother has discovered a fondness for lawn care recently. He also tends to wear a white t-shirt, jeans, and tand work boots, and he's been having to borrow his father in law's red truck lately.

He has become Hank Hill.
Well, you now know how to prank him, if that should ever seem necessary.

Sneak in at 2 AM and xeriscape his whole yard. Imaging how surprised he'll be when he wakes up and finds his water-sucking lawn replaced by a tastefully-arranged layout of boulders, sand, cactus, and mesquite.

He'll thank you, once he gets used to picking thorns out of his arms, legs, and feet.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

We played only one session over the weekend... The second night, we ended up talking about the Legacy of Kain series, and eventually ended up setting up a game console and played the second release, Soul Reaver, for a couple of hours.

Now, for anyone not familiar with that game franchise (I imagine that's just about everyone else here), it's a fantasy series that centers around the vampire Kain (who is playable three of the releases, and is seen as an antagonist in Soul Reaver), and the series is seriously story heavy with some of the best dialogue I've heard from a game.

There's also time travel, rewriting history, discussions about the nature of free will and fate, and grand machinations by both the good guys and bad guys spanning more than two thousand years.

For anyone not up for trying to acquire the games and a system on which to play them, there are plenty of videos on YouTube covering a lot of in depth lore of the series, including character studies of a lot of the major characters from the series.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Crap... I think my arm is infected from where I got stung a couple weeks ago.
jwhouk

Post by jwhouk »

My condolences to all on the other side of the pond, up in the Great White North, and Down Under.

Her Majesty was a lady of great consequence whose reign shall not soon be forgotten.

May God save the King.
"Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
"You should never run from the voices in your head. That's how you give them power." - Jin
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

jwhouk wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:19 pm My condolences to all on the other side of the pond, up in the Great White North, and Down Under.

Her Majesty was a lady of great consequence whose reign shall not soon be forgotten.

May God save the King.
I concur wholeheartedly, and wish my condolences to any British subject and/or Anglophile among us.

I didn't expect the news to upset me that much, but whenever I hear coverage on the radio as I drive to and from work, I actually get emotional. "Le coeur serré" would be the closest sentiment... the translation "a heavy heart" does not seem to render it justice, I feel. To me, a heavy heart is general sadness at the news. "Le coeur serré" is more active. It feels like someone has a grip on your heart, and you have difficulty keeping a steady voice, as you feel you may just break into tears if you are not careful. (Then again, maybe I don't fully understand the expression "a heavy heart", and it may actually mean pretty much the same thing... I just don't understand it to mean the same thing...)
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Between D&D sessions over the weekend, I had an idea, inspired by my brother's intention to have us use the same party to go through the other entry adventures, except the adventures would be adjusted for a higher level party.

Since the adventure The Dragon of Icespire Peak, from the essentials kit, takes place in the same areas as the adventure The Lost Mine of Phandelver from the first 5e starter set, I was thinking the party could look into buying the abandoned/ruined manor in the small town we've sort of been using as a base of operations. I looked ahead to the later parts of the adventure, and at the end, it says that if the party wants to buy the manor and fix it up, that's an option.

So now I gotta look up how much the party should have to pay for it, and look into the cost of renovations.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

I used to play under a DM who wanted his player characters to go into business . . . which led to some interesting incidents, not least because the DM didn't understand business or accounting . . . among other things, he thought that only cost of materials were costs, the cost of labor wasn't, so profit was the difference between cost of material - only! - and selling price . . . He also didn't even check costs on deals, which is how one PC wound up with 2.5 million platinum in profit . . . admittedly, it was a large deal, but not that large! The player had expected the customer to bargain, and was shocked when the NPC customer just paid the initial price quote.

The concept of setting up a business had merit, though that particular execution of the concept stunk.

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I keep getting logged out when I visit the forums, even though I keep selecting "remember me" at the login screen. Anyone know what's causing this?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:22 pm I keep getting logged out when I visit the forums, even though I keep selecting "remember me" at the login screen. Anyone know what's causing this?
Do you have any browser security settings, or browser security add-ons which would be deleting cookies, or limiting their lifetime? The site sends a cookie to your browser with your credentials when you log in, and if this cookie is lost or erased between sessions you'll have to log in again the next time.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Dave wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:31 pm
Alkarii wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:22 pm I keep getting logged out when I visit the forums, even though I keep selecting "remember me" at the login screen. Anyone know what's causing this?
Do you have any browser security settings, or browser security add-ons which would be deleting cookies, or limiting their lifetime? The site sends a cookie to your browser with your credentials when you log in, and if this cookie is lost or erased between sessions you'll have to log in again the next time.
Routine behavior from my computer . . . I have to log in every couple of days.

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

My mom sent me a text about two hours before I got off from work on Monday to inform me that our oldest cat, Fancy (tortoiseshell, 14 years old), probably wasn't going to make it through the night. I got home, her body was limp, and she was as cold as if she had been dead, but she was still breathing. She made it through the night and all of tomorrow, and up to this morning. I had decided at lunch that I would take off from work early to take her to be euthanized, and have enough daylight to bury her.

It turns out that the vet didn't have any slots open during their final hour of business today, and so my mom and/or dad will be taking her up there in the morning while I'm at work.

I guess it's better that they are with her, since she spent more time with them than me, and I also wouldn't be able to maintain my composure afterwards.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

When they go, they take pieces of our hearts with them.