More Stuff

All off topic conversation held here. Have fun and play nice. =)

Moderators: Bookworm, starkruzr, MrFireDragon, PrettyPrincess, Wapsi

lake_wrangler

Re: More Stuff

Post by lake_wrangler »

My brother sent me a postcard the other day with this big satellite photo of the entire earth on it. On the back it said: "Wish you were here". -- Steven Wright
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

lake_wrangler wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:25 pm
My brother sent me a postcard the other day with this big satellite photo of the entire earth on it. On the back it said: "Wish you were here". -- Steven Wright
I remember a NASA Astronomy Photo of the Day titled "Every human being but one is in this photo": It was a shot of the Lunar Module of Apollo 11 and the Earth, taken from the Command Module
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

AnotherFairportfan wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:09 pm
lake_wrangler wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:25 pm
I remember a NASA Astronomy Photo of the Day titled "Every human being but one is in this photo": It was a shot of the Lunar Module of Apollo 11 and the Earth, taken from the Command Module
Can you squeeze together a little? We can't get all of you in the shot at the same time... :P
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

The wallpaper changer strikes again!
“Could you imagine how horrible things would be if we always told others how we felt? Life would be intolerably bearable.” - Randy K. Milholland
Such a frightening concept!
AnotherFairportfan

Post by AnotherFairportfan »

lake_wrangler wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:48 am The wallpaper changer strikes again!
“Could you imagine how horrible things would be if we always told others how we felt? Life would be intolerably bearable.” - Randy K. Milholland
Such a frightening concept!
Over in El Goonish Shive NP, Grace has been trying that.
Proof Positive the world is not flat: If it were, cats would have pushed everything off the edge by now.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

OK... I chuckled at this one...
“If at first you don't succeed try, try again. If you fail even after these attempts, perhaps your just stupid.” - Devin J. Monroe
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I ended up getting a little more military surplus gear. This time, I picked up some tiger stripe BDU pants (regular woodland pallette, unlike two other pairs I have), a tactical belt that looks easier to adjust than the one I've been using, and another poncho in the Flecktarn pattern.

I also found some pine fatwood in the woods behind my house. It burns pretty well, and you have to use water to actually put it out. I think this is from a Southern Yellow Pine, so not the best type, but it works. I need to go back out there and cut down into it until I find some that hasn't been exposed to the elements ever since that tree fell.

I still haven't tried any bushcraft stuff, though...

EDIT: Loblolly pine, which is a type of yellow pine.
There is no such thing as a science experiment gone wrong.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

The lastest quote from my wallpaper changer made me laugh:
How many surrealists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

One to hold the giraffe and one to fill the bathtub with brightly colored power tools.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Looks like I can't read the comic anymore. I keep getting a DNS error.
Warrl

Post by Warrl »

Alkarii wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:20 am Looks like I can't read the comic anymore. I keep getting a DNS error.
I just confirmed it's still there, wapsisquare.com.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Alkarii wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:20 am Looks like I can't read the comic anymore. I keep getting a DNS error.
Could you cut and paste the domain name you're using, when you get the error?

I just checked and wapsisquare.com and www.wapsisquare.com both resolve correctly, and work with both http and https.

Even waspisquare.com works (bought because it was the most common misspelling)
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

lake_wrangler wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:17 pm The lastest quote from my wallpaper changer made me laugh:

One to hold the giraffe and one to fill the bathtub with brightly colored power tools.
I've always seen that as 'brightly coloured bicycle parts'

BW
I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.
FreeFlier

Post by FreeFlier »

Bookworm wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:49 pm
lake_wrangler wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:17 pmThe lastest quote from my wallpaper changer made me laugh:

I've always seen that as 'brightly coloured bicycle parts'
The version I remember was "One to change the bulb, and one to paint the giraffe purple."

--FreeFlier
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

Bookworm wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:48 pm
Could you cut and paste the domain name you're using, when you get the error?

I just checked and wapsisquare.com and www.wapsisquare.com both resolve correctly, and work with both http and https.

Even waspisquare.com works (bought because it was the most common misspelling)
I was using the links in the daily discussion threads, and I also had the main page bookmarked. It had worked before, and it's working again, but for a few days, it wouldn't.

Reality is on drugs or something...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Alkarii wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:54 pm Reality is on drugs or something...
Drugs are for realities which can't handle people.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

The other day, my brother was showing his younger kids how to catch crawdads and salamanders in the shallow drainage ditch next to their house. His wife posted pictures of one of the crawdads, which had an interesting coloration to it.

Turns out, it's called a lonesome gravedigger, which is one of two species that were identified in 2020, and had been found in the southern parts of Mississippi and Alabama.

My brother lives just north of the Little Rock Air Force Base, several hundred miles from where the species was found.

EDIT: it could be a banded mudbug they found, but that species was first identified around the same time and in the same area as the lonesome gravedigger. Either way, still intetesting.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Does Arkansas have a state agency that would be able to identify it?
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.
Alkarii

Post by Alkarii »

I'm sure we do. I heard my brother and my dad talking about it yesterday.
lake_wrangler

Post by lake_wrangler »

Yesterday, I rode my bicycle for 38 minutes to get to work... only to find out I was on vacation for the week! :roll:

I took my time riding back, pausing along the way, as I rode on a bike path along the river. I do find the sound of rushing water soothing.

I do remember the logic for picking this week as a vacation week: it would be warm enough that I could do maintenance stuff around the house. Still spring, but not too early.
Typeminer

Post by Typeminer »

Yesterday I rode my bike downtown to the farmer's market, and discovered I had no keys. Zipped back home; they were in the lock on the front door.

House door to market door is only about 0.75 mile in a straight line, so did not take long, and I got a little bonus exercise.

It has been warm here, though. Low 90s (F) a few days. It was in the upper 60s at 06:45 when I went to market.
Saccharomyces cerevisiae is the linchpin of civilization.